Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss at 6 months?

Hi all!

I am set to be sleeved on September 18th. I'm so excited and nervous! I was wondering what I could expect, weight-loss wise. My surgeon said at about 6 months out, I would be down roughly 80 pounds, but I wanted to get a snapshot of what other people's experiences have been. For reference. I'm, 33, F, 5'4 and my starting weight is 265.

Thanks, everyone! :-)

This is one of those things that is really hard to make predictions about. Everyone loses at different rates. You can't compare your loss to anyone else--some people drop a lot really quickly, some have a lot of stalls along the way, etc.

However, to give some idea of numbers... my surgeon said he likes to see his patients lose about half of the "average" expected weight loss (60% of total excess weight) by six months out.

So, I started out with about 100 lbs of excess weight. The surgeon will consider my surgery a "success" if I lose 60% of that, i.e., 60 lbs. So by my six month appointment, he hopes to see about 30 lbs gone. I've actually already lost over 60 lbs at less than 2.5 months out, but I have a feeling that things are going to slow down a lot before too long, so I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself!

I HATE HATE HATE when surgeons throw out random numbers like that! How are you going to feel if you don't lose 80 pounds by 6 months?? Like a failure, right?

It just all depends. Age, gender (men lose faster), starting BMI (the higher the BMI, the more lost as a rule).

To put it in perspective, I lost 83 pounds in A YEAR. I know others who lost more and met their goal way before me.

Try not to get into the trap of comparing your weight loss to others. It will do nothing but cause you endless frustration and de motivate you. As long as you are losing at a fairly steady rate, it's all good :)

I am 51, post-menopause with a starting BMI of 51. I have lost 39 pounds in 10 weeks. I have no idea what I expect to lose and as long as I lose I really don't care. I will admit that when I only lose 1 or 2 pounds a week it can be discouraging but I'm just so happy for my loss so far. One up side is that I have not had a stall. I have lose 1 to 2 pounds a weeks consistently.

I am losing slowly but pretty steadily, and always have lost slowly in the past. I expect I will be down 50 lbs at 6 months... but that is halfway to goal for me, and I am Very happy with the results so far. I have no doubt I will reach my goal, it is just going at a slower pace for me.

I understand that you are just looking for a rough goal to shoot for, but is impossible to compare different peoples results. For reference I am 5' 4" also, 48, menopausal, PCOS, and (HAD) Insulin Resistance, I am also a band to sleeve revision... I don't expect anyone else to have the same metabolism I do, although I know there are many that do. Some lucky people are able to drop 15-20 lbs a month and reach goal by 6 months. I think the majority fall somewhere in between.

Good Luck! It has been a great, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by liannatx

I didn't even have 80lbs to lose at surgery time! My NUT put it in percentages for me. Which was helpful because we are ALL soooo different!

Yeah, I will also note that I lost over 25 pounds pre-op, so I did jump-start things a bit there.

And I'm getting within about 10 pounds of the lowest weight I've been able to get to (with Weight Watchers) since college. I have a feeling that my rate of loss is going to tank once I reach that point.

I have lost 50 lbs. in 5 months and am almost at goal. I average about 2.3 lbs./ week- some weeks I lost more and some weeks I lost only 1 lb. I never stalled- but I think most do at least once. I agree with the others- it really is individual. There is not a one- size- fits all magic number. Important thing is don't let the numbers dictate your success. Success is being healthy and fit.

Thanks everyone! I know that each person's rate of weight loss is individual, I just wanted to get a general idea. :-)

As everyone said above, it completely depends on age, starting weight etc. Though I haven't reached 6 months so far (im at about 4.5 months post op) I am down 72 lbs. In the last couple of months I typically lose 2 lbs per week. Good luck!

I'm almost 9 weeks out and have been fortunate not to have hit any stalls. I average around 3-4lbs per week. I'm 34, female, starting BMI was 40.1, now around 33. I have started working out 5 days per week (both cardio and strength) to try and keep this momentum going. It's true, everyone is different!!