Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*HELP* Dr. Altamirano or Dr. Zavalza?

Hi I'm trying to decide between which of these 2 doctors i should go with? Dr. Altamirano or Dr. Zavalza? ?

I know Dr, Z does about 3 surgeries a day- Does anyone know how many surgeries Dr.A does a day?

I am hoping to have the sleeve done in middle of September, I have been reading post on this web site

but any experience someone has had with these doctors to help me make up my mind would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Plus it would help ease my husbands mind he is about 85% sold on the idea of me going to mexico to have it done.

WHAT made your final decision to go with your doctor choice??

I like the idea that they do the surgeries in the hospital (Florence?) or is Hope Hospital the same place?

I would like to hear about your experience at the after surgery at the apartment so i know what to expect. My husband will be traveling with me

Thanks for any and ALL advice!!

Edited by Dawny28

Dr. Altamirana has a FB page with lots of his former, current and future patients on it. He allows full honesty in his group. (one of the reasons I like his group so much, it's not

just rainbows and unicorns) Very personable and interacts with us almost daily. I am having revision surgery with him on Sept. 7th. Here is the link if you are interested in checking it out. https://www.facebook.com/groups/dr.altamirano/ We would love to have you join us.

I am going for revision surgery with Dr Zavalza on September 4th. I believe I had picked him as he does revision surgeries and has trained under Dr ponce de leon. I bet either Dr would be great!

Hi! All I can tell you dr. A is the most caring Dr you will find, but besides that he is also a trauma surgeon which is very important in case of an emergency. In or group there are several patients that had revision done by dr. A

Join our group....you will love it! !

Good luck

Oh Dr. A does 2-3 surgeries a day.....

Dr. Altamirano is the BOMB ! This guy is awesome.

Very caring, great bedside manner.

Dr Altamirano definitely gets my vote!! He genuinely cares for his patients. My husband is scheduled for gastric sleeve tomorrow with him. Dr A has quickly answered all our questions via email and has "face timed" with my husband twice. The level of service by Dr A is the absolute best there is! I will be happy to post more updates after we arrive in Tijuana tomorrow and he has his surgery.

I was originally investigating another doc until by dear friend found Dr.A. She had done through research and had a Skype consult. She was sold. Well being that we are both nurse I figured I needed to shift gears and look into Dr.A. Well I did. He answers every question I had. My friend is 3 weeks post op and doing great. I am planning for December because of kids school schedule. Dr.A truly seems to have a passion for what he does.Oh he sent me a happy 40th birthday message through FB. You will love him. I can't wait to meet him and share my journey with him.

Dr Carlos Altamirano!!!!

I had surgery with him last month

He is not only a great doctor, he wil be there for you always

He is like a friend

Check his Facebook support group

We are a big family there supporting each other

My 2cents:

So thinking of going to Mexico to get sleeved? Well, I did it and used the most wonderful,compassionate,personal able Dr. out there. When I researched this procedure I quickly became overwhelmed by all the companies and Dr's out there. I had originally settled on one group who is very big in the Tijuana area. Lived on the boards then started reading stories of the "hospital" care received. Hmmm, better check some more. Did more research and came across Oasis of Hope hospital, and Dr. Carlos Almenterino. The facility he uses is a real hospital with a real ICU unit and blood bank. This was important to me. I skyped with him and that basically sealed the deal. He answered all my questions, he has a DEDICATED team he operates with and they are all rock stars in their fields.

My husband was very skeptical of my going and doing this at all, especially in Tijuana. So he accompanied me. We arrived in San Diego and AS SOON as I took my phone out of airplane mode, I had missed calls from my driver waiting to pick us up. Now, that my friends is great customer service. I loved it was a nice private car and not a big bus or van that screamed hey fat lady arriving!!! Our driver Roberto, was very friendly and quite entertaining! Took us to the hospital where we were introduced to the receptionist and she helped us along the way paperwork etc. She even ordered my husband dinner that night, now once again SERVICE.

Got all checked in, had my bloodwork,EKG, and X-rays done. Staff was so efficient and so nice. One stick my IV was in, His internist came in to speak with me, the anesthesiologist came in to speak with me. Then wheeled off to surgery not long after that. Surgery went perfectly, I awoke and didn't even feel like I had been intubated, no scratchy sore throat nothing. Very little pain, discomfort but not pain. Dr. checked on me everyday. If I had a question, pm'd him and had answers not long after asking a question. He is on top of his practice that is a fact. I have never received such personal care from a physician. Two day stay in hospital, all the staff was very skilled and friendly. I did have issues the last night with some swelling from my IV, once it was removed NO BRUISiNG, they are good! I always bruise. That was another thing I looked at with other patients from other groups, they looked like they had been beaten after the Dr's and staff were done with them, no not me!!!

I choose to stay at the hotel instead of the recovery house. We were assigned a personal valet the entire day! REALLY?!? Wow, so nice and such personalized care. I loved that we were not herded in big groups as other tourism companies do. I had contacted Dr. That day about an issue, and he said I needed a certain prescription and he would have Roberto get it for me. I thought when we left the next morning. Oh no, 9pm knock on the door was Roberto verifying what I needed, and went out to get it. That's SERVICE y'all. I was sad I didn't get a picture with the good Dr. he said we would make sure we did. Well, bright and early that morning he showed up at our hotel to take that picture and visit. He is Dr. Amazing as he has been so well nick named. He lives up to his reputation, best most personalized care ever received. My hubby was super impressed with the whole Bariatric Pal team!!! Our drive to the airport was so fun, you want entertainment check out Big Roberto! Loved him!!!!!

So if you are looking for personalize,skilled,perfectionist care check Dr. out. I promise you won't be sorry and you won't be herded around in big labeled vans saying hey I'm here for surgery!! Any questions please feel free to contact me.

Dr. Altamirano!! If I had to do it over I wouldn't change a thing. That man truly cares about his profession and his patients. He was very thorough on answering ALL of my questions. He is prepared to handle an emergency should one arise.

The recovery houses are wonderful. It gives you supervised recovery in the comfort and privacy of a home. There is always someone at the recovery houses to help you with whatever you need.

I can't speak for the other doctor but I promise you can't go wrong with Dr. A!

I have been researching this surgery for over a year. I am 66 years old and have serious knee problems and other than that I am in relatively good health except for being so overweight. But at my age I am lets say nervous about major surgery and nervous about being over a 100 pounds overweight and what it is going to do to my health. I don't have the co-morbidities at this point and my insurance won't cover the surgery. But my knee doc won't do the second knee replacement until I lose the weight. Spiral here out of control can't exercise much and have to lose a 100 pounds to get the surgery so I can. Being my age many docs won't even see me. But my real defining deal was I want to know that in the unlikely event something does go wrong I want someone who has experience in trauma medicine and who will hit the ground running to save me. Both of these docs are great or they would not be with Bariatric pal but Dr. Altamirano has that background in trauma medicine and not at any hospital but at one of the largest in Guadalajara, So if I am going to put my life in one of their hands I am choosing the one who has had to deal with Trauma medicine and is certified in that area. That was my deal maker. I am sure you will find a great experience with both of them. Go to their forums and talk to the patients there both present, past, or like me near future. You will realize we are a family who all pray for each other and Celebrate milestones and offer all sorts of advise or shoulders to lean on when we hit walls. Dr. A. is in the group daily and answers questions almost as fast as we ask them. It is such a relief to find a kind, compassionate, caring and understanding doctor who is there for us not as docs here in the USA are but as a person who is really there. Gotta love the security that gives us!!!

I had surgery August 11, and would highly recommended Dr. A. Dr. A and his team were professional, but caring. The incisions are healing and can't really tell anymore where the incision was. I would do it it over in a heart beat and just wished I had found Dr. A a long time ago.

Dr. Altamirano was my Doctor for the sleeve. I was sleeved on July 27, 2015. I am 61 years old with multiple co-morbidities with a BMI between 32 and 35 for several years. I did a lot of research and choose Dr. Altamirano. He has great medical credentials and he also works as an emergency room physician with a trauma background (which for me meant he can address critical issues that might occur). He was responsive to all my questions both via email and video chat (Skype). He meet with me prior to surgery and every day I was in the hospital and the recovery house. I have the ability to follow up with him post op as well. Not only is he a great surgeon, he is passionate about bariatric surgery and the long term benefits that can be derived from it. He genuinely cares about my well being and I am an active participant in this medical process.

In addition he has established a great support group made up of his patients. This is a very open and honest group who share the good, the bad and the ugly (but mostly good). This added bonus is another reason I choose him as my doctor.

Just to be fair, I meet two patients of Dr. F. Zavalva, both nurses, who were very pleased him.

Bariatric Pal provides two recovery houses for patients who use their services and access to a nutritionist. I stayed two days in the hospital which I appreciated and then to the recovery house where I was taken care of and watched over to make sure I was on the road to recovery. I meet the staff and other patients and Dr. Altamirano checked on me. There are pictures of the recovery houses on Dr. Carlos Altamirano Cano's website http://www.doctoraltamirano.com.

I also can not say enough "good things" about the Bariatric Pal staff and support. A#1 in my book. If you work with BP (regardless of the doctor you ultimately pick - my choice is Dr. Altamirano!) you will be well cared for.

I was scared out of my mind with the thought of going to another country to have surgery.  I went with my sis in law and she was having surgery too so she was in her own room doing her own thing and I was alone in my room.  When my time came I had big tears streaming down my face and Dr A grabbed my hand and told me he would take care of me.  He made me feel very reassured.  I had my surgery almost 2 weeks ago. No problems, no issues.  Any time I have a question I text him and he always gets back with me very quickly.  I am actually considering sending my 18 year old daughter to him next year and she is my baby girl so I wouldn't just let anyone operate on her!  He is an awesome doctor and you will never regret that decision! :)  Good Luck!!!!