Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I prepare for my post-op life?

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of my insurance requirements for surgery, do not have a date yet, but my surgeon's office is predicting December. So, in an effort to be up front, I am broke pretty much all the time currently. I mean my bills are paid but that's about it. I want to start trying Protein shakes and hopefully even begin a regular diet of using them before surgery. So far all i have seen for Protein powders are giant canisters. I have never had Protein powder or shakes, so I have no idea what I like and what I don't. Is there a way to try different options on a very small budget? I am not required to start a liquid diet yet, just 2 weeks before surgery but have failed at losing any weight so far. I'm hoping adding Protein Shakes may help with some loss before surgery. I feel hungry often. even after eating a full meal, about 45 minutes later I am hungry enough again to eat a sandwich and a large glass of Water. I just want the hunger to go away. I feel like I have completely given up on watching what I eat since I found out I can have surgery. Any advice? Constructive criticisms? Support?

Hi Kat,

You can buy Protein Powder samples lots of places. I would recommend that you plan to keep sampling after surgery, because many people find their tastes change after surgery. So don't invest in a big tub of something until you can confirm you like it after surgery.

Here are some places to buy samples:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/Bariatric_Protein_Samples_s/35.htm

However, if you are looking for something to make hunger go away, I'm going to suggest something different -- lean Protein and green veggies. You'll find them more filling and less caloric than most Protein Shakes. If you are hungry, have a hunk of roast chicken breast (no sauce!) and a big plate of broccoli. If you don't want dry chicken breast and broccoli, you aren't actually hungry, you are just experiencing a craving or head hunger.

One of the most important things you can do pre-op is to teach yourself what hunger is and how to deal with it in an appropriate way. Sometimes that appropriate way is just learning that it is okay to be hungry. You CAN wait until your next scheduled meal, although it is unpleasant, you aren't going to starve to death. I really recommend the Beck Diet Solution (you can probably get it from your library). Another thing you can do (if you haven't) is set up a myfitnesspal.com account and get in the habit of measuring your portions and logging all your food. Going for a walk or getting some other light exercise every day is another way you can prepare for your post-op life that is free. Also, practice not drinking with your meals or for 30 minutes after. Download the "Eat Slower" app (free) for your phone and teach yourself to eat slowly. Make small dietary changes such as kicking carbonation and all liquid calories to the curb -- except any protein shakes you may be sampling, of course.

I really do think that the most important changes you can make to prepare now are to work on general behaviors and your mindset around food, rather than trying to figure out what Protein Drink you might like -- especially since you may well find that your tastes are completely different post-op. But the behaviors and habits you can teach yourself now will really help you, and you can do those for absolutely no cost.

If you have a GNC near you, I know they offer samples.< /p>

You can also order a same pack of Syntrax nectar Protein drinks directly from the manufacturer.

Carnation Breakfast Essentials (no sugar added) are fairly inexpensive.

Another place that adds up is your Vitamins. Once you have a list of your Vitamin requirements keep an eye on sales. I get most of my Vitamins from drugstore.com, but know you can also get most of them at places like Walgreen's. Watch for sales.

Congratulations on making the decision to have WLS and get healthier! You can find coupons online for Premiere Protein Shakes. They are pretty good as far as Protein shakes go and with the coupon they aren't too bad. Since you won't be spending money on eating out and other foods, the liquid diet shouldn't be too hard on your budget. You can also talk to your insurance company about possibly covering part or all of the cost of the shakes.

I was like you, hungry all the time. VSG made a huge difference for me. Even when I'm hungry now, which isn't that often, I can only eat a small amount and then I'm super full. It's truly an answer to my prayers. Good luck to you!

Hello fellow Pal :) I am on the pre-op journey along with you, I just got scheduled for my surgery Sept 15th! I have been researching all the most budget-friendly options as well. Protein shakes & all the supplements are definitely pricey & a big consideration when you're on a small budget but I'm hoping purchasing less in groceries will help offset the cost. I found a few things for myself that may help...

First off, each doctor has different guidelines and requirements, many doctors require you to purchase a specific brand Protein and Vitamin supplements for pre/post op. Unfortunately, the doctors requirements are often quite expensive & must be factored into your surgery cost & as far as I know, most insurances do not cover this portion. You'll have to check with your own Dr/insurance.

Early on, I checked into the "Insure" program I found on this site that offers to get your Protein Shakes covered by insurance & gave the info. to my Dr & nutritionist who checked into it & discovered they are largely a scam! The protein shakes they offer are "Premier Protein" anyway, widely available at costco (cheapest) & I've found them at Walmart, Winco & many other stores, depending on your area.

I tried the Premier Protein shakes (30 gm protein in 11 oz), I like the chocolate one pretty well, tried the strawberry too & just didn't like it as well. This is one of the most inexpensive brands I've been able to find. The cheapest I've been able to find works out to be about $1.20-$1.50 per shake (that's for my area in Northern California).

I've also tried the Syntrax nectar (personally I like having fruit flavored options better than most the other powders). I discovered something not widely advertised, the company offers a "variety sampler" of 1 packet of each of their 15 flavors for $17. I ordered this & got it, tried only 1 so far (not horrible but I tried the cherry & that just won't be my flavor), but that's when I started hearing all about how my taste-buds could change after surgery so I decided to wait to try the rest of them after surgery. 23 gm protein each. If I decide to go with the Nectars, it will be cheaper to purchase online, about $35 or more for a 2lb/30 serving canister. If you want to order the "Variety Sampler" you order directly from the company - you can take a look at their Facebook ad here: https://www.facebook.com/officialsyntrax/photos/pb.139333966120689.-2207520000.1440194636./770066349714111/?type=3&theater

However, one of my favorite recent finds is LiquaCel, it's 16gm protein in only 1OZ! In fruit flavors, it's a concentrate that you can either take straight if you just can't choke down more (especially post-op), or dilute in liquid. You can get them in individual packets for $1.50 each or 32 oz bottles for $34. So far I like these the best for taste! I've tried the orange (undiluted) & the lemonade mixed in Crystal Light lemonade & I liked them both far better than the powdered protein shakes. I have the other 2 flavors too, just haven't tried them yet & I just ordered more. However, I know that after surgery taking it straight in the concentrated form may be too strong for me, but it can be diluted in less liquid than traditional protein shakes. You can find them here: http://www.procarenow.com/search.asp?keyword=LiquaCel&search=GO

As far as vitamins/supplements, this has taken even more research... for me, I found ProCare Bariatric Multi-Vitamin chewable, very similar ingredient amounts to Celebrate brand, only $12 for a month supply & it includes Iron. I checked them with my Dr. & she was good with these. They are from the same company as the LiquaCel: http://www.procarenow.com/Bariatric-Complete-Chewable-MultiVitamin-Once-Per-Day--Formulated-for-Roux-en-Y-Vertical-Sleeve-Duodenal-Switch-30-Day-Supply_p_10002.html

For Calcium, I am having a really hard time with the soft-chews, they all taste like chalk to me. Once I am able to swallow pills again, which my Dr. is OK with shortly after post-op, I found Puritan's Pride calcium citrate +D "miniatures". Smaller pills than the the more common huge horse pills, if they're still too much for me after surgery, they can be cut, crushed or disintegrated in applesauce. It works out to be 200 mg per tab, so I'll need 3 tab 2x day to get 1200 but I can handle tablets better than chews. 3 bottles $17.50 6 for $35 (6 mo. supply). Available here: http://www.puritan.com/calcium-citrate-337/calcium-citrate-vitamin-d3-miniatures-033195

I'm also going to be adding Biotin gel tabs from costco post-op, hoping to prevent hair loss & the Dr. will let me know if anything else needs to be added after blood work is done post op.

These have been all my best finds so far. Hopefully some of these can help.

This is definitely no easy journey and affects every aspect your life, including financially, but I'm trusting it will all be worth it & at least I'll have a life! My mother & grandmother both passed away in their early 50's & both morbidly obese when they died -- I am planning on breaking that cycle! It is such a big help to get support from all the others who are going through the same thing or have been there!

Just imagine how much better life will be at this time next year!

All the best on your journey!

Warm Hugs,

Kristina :rolleyes: