Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So. Much. Pain. Help!

I hag my surgery 8/19 and just released to go home 8/22. My hospital experience was horrible. The post op nurse withheld all fluids and refused to activate my pain pump saying I didn't need it. We demanded she check with the surgeon and she said she did and he said no. Finally the charge nurse made her give me ice chips, but only getting one dose of pain meds every 4 hours I never got my pain under control. The surgeon came in the next day and was FURIOUS that she went against orders and she was removed immediately. Apparently she never even asked him about the pain meds or fluids. I got apologies from director of nursing, the hospital patient advocate and the surgeon, who stated my recovery would be "stunted" because of the lack of pain control and now dehydration. It earned me an extra day in the hospital and 3 days of being treated like I was lazy after every shift change for not being farther along in my recovery. I am finally home, but the pain is still horrible. I have gas pain trapped in my left shoulder that is killing me, and the abdomen pain is almost unbearable. I'm getting very little walking in due to the pain and depending on the Dr, I'm pushing myself too hard, or not walking enough. I'm not getting any sleep due to the pain. Even I do walk the pain overwhelms me and I get very nauseous and shaky. I take my nausea meds then spend an hour recovering. I'm feeling so defeated and worn out. I don't know what to do. Any advice or encouragement? Will this pain ever subside?

:(

Oh man! I'm so sorry this happened to you! I hope you get some relief soon! Stay strong.

Oh my gosh! How horrible! I am so sorry that happened to you! When you are feeling up to it, you need to write a letter to the director of that hospital. That nurse needs to be fired!

For what it's worth, you are almost past the worst part. day 3 to 5 were the worst (and for some reason Day 3 after any surgery if any kind is bad). If your pain is not being controlled, call the Dr and ask for stronger meds or if you can increase the dose. For the gas, try gas-X strips or chewables. They help immensely! You can also try heating pad on your back. I even had ice pack on my stomach and that helped. Above all do not get dehydrated. Use a medicine cup, and set a timer and SIP from it every 5 minutes. If you cannot get past the pain or cannot drink, go to the ER. I know you don't want to be back in the hospital but they can get the pain controlled and hydrate you. Hang in there. Promise it gets better soon!!!

You're experience sounds awful!

I'm based in the UK and I've used windeze for the shoulder pain (it's from where they fill your abdomen cavity with gas to assist surgery) and peppermint tea is a life saver! The pain in horrible to start but as Daisee said you should be getting past the worse of it now. Again being in the UK, the pain meds will be different, but I had paracetamol liquid and then codeine which I could alternate every 2 hours. But really didn't need anything after about day 4, until my stomach went into spasm and got rushed to A&E. So maybe you should do with seeing your GP.

Good luck!

@@forbradley

I am so sorry that you had this experience.what that nurse did is not ok and when you are feeling up to it, she/he needs to be dealt with so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Daisy is right, the best thing you can do to get rid of that pain is move a lot, drink a lot of fluids constantly, use a heating pad when you are sitting or laying and use gas x. That gas pain is nasty but once it is gone you will feel much better.

And whatever you do, you need to get caught up on your fluids or you will end up back in the ER. Sip sip sip constantly. When you are sitting hold that cup in your hand and sip.

Dehydration is likely making you feel much worse.

I hope all gets better soon!

OMG!!!! I can't believe my eyes. .I'm sooo sorry this happened to you. .. definitely write a letter to the director. .. they may need to implement having nurses who have gone through WLS.... clearly that nurse doesn't understand nor empathize what you just went through.

That's bullshit!!! That nurse should have been fired I could not imagine all that pain after surgery with out meds. The pain will go away but you need to get in those fluids!! Keep truckin soldier you can do it !!!!

I am sorry to hear this. I had a horrible hospital experience as well and discharged myself the next morning after surgery. They messed up on my meds and I never received all my pain medication.

If you are home you are better off. Try your best to sip liquids, sugar free popsicles was what helped me a lot.

Hang in there, I promise it will get better.

​I'm so sorry you are feeling worse. Have you called the surgeon? Maybe you need to be readmitted to get hydrated and get the pain under control? Don't be afraid to call them or to go to the ER.

How are you doing today? xx

Thanks everyone. Today is day 6 post surgery and I am on wide pain than I was yesterday. I just feel like crying. This is so miserable!

hanging in there :( I talked to the nurse yesterday and she was pleased with my progress and said I'm right on track. I go see the surgeon on Monday to follow up. I've eliminated 2 of my pain pills a day, and today is my first morning after going all night without a pain pill. I was okay when I woke up but it progressively got worse as I started moving around. I have a 3 year old so mornings are chaotic. I'm nestled in with my Protein Drink and a Breaking Bad marathon until the pain subsides. I'm so ready to just get a good night's sleep, be able to walk without pain, hold my son!, just anything to feel like me again. *sigh*

It is a hard journey, but it sounds like you're getting there, albeit slowly. My lo was also 3 when I had my op and I feel you're pain! They just don't understand.

Keep going honey, you'll look back at this all being a distant memory soon. xxx ^_^

hanging in there :( I talked to the nurse yesterday and she was pleased with my progress and said I'm right on track. I go see the surgeon on Monday to follow up. I've eliminated 2 of my pain pills a day, and today is my first morning after going all night without a pain pill. I was okay when I woke up but it progressively got worse as I started moving around. I have a 3 year old so mornings are chaotic. I'm nestled in with my Protein drink and a Breaking Bad marathon until the pain subsides. I'm so ready to just get a good night's sleep, be able to walk without pain, hold my son!, just anything to feel like me again. *sigh*

Feel better hunny : ( I'm only 2 weeks out so I'm still in my struggle, but I was in a lot of pain as well. It was offle. Still have my moments but better. Sip your Water and it will get better.