Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your taste in cars change after WLS ?

Okay guys.....you had WLS surgery......got to your goal weight........and realized it was time for a new ride.

Did your choice of vehicles change as a result of your streamlined weight attack ?

I'm going to nurse my trusty '07 Nissan pickup for a couple more years.....and wonder if I'll want something drastically different than another truck.

A convertable muscle car has always been something I wanted but the practicality of such a vehicle seemed Limited to a big guy with sore knees.

Did it open up any more car choices for you?

I'm driving a beat up 95 four door Honda Civic so I am hoping my sleeve convinces me to get something better!

I've have long had a sports car of some sort (MR2, Z4's and the like - I topped out at 335lb 13-14 years ago) so my girth never entirely excluded me from those (your height may do as much as girth though!) but my preferences haven't really changed much. Surgery has offered more opportunity for occasional interesting diversions like a Formula Ford (those little skinny-assed open wheel cars) and a NASCAR stocker (the kind with no doors where you have to climb in thru the window...) My old M3 track toy was accommodating enough for my former size, but now I have proper skinny-assed racing seats in it so I dont go sliding around inside it.

On a semi-related topic of travel preferences - airline travel isn't nearly the issue that it used to be (though, again, your height may make it so irrespective weight considerations,)

BMW Convertible is my recreation vehicle......( I have a company car)

It's a new life, your outlook, self esteem, confidence, and tastes in just about everything changes....you are definitely born again.

In my younger days I had a 426 hemi Cuda. All I can say was it was fast. When I retired I bought a Mazda Miata hardtop convertible. It drives like a go-cart. It is really good for the hills and windy roads near my home. But the problem was that I could barely fit into it. It almost felt that if I gained any more weight I would have to take the top down in order to fit in it. One of the many reasons why I had RNY surgery was for that car. I am 27 months post-op and I fit in the car like a glove with some room to spare.

I have driven a full size pickup since I was a kid, no problem with room there. However, my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe suv, that was another story. Very tight, very uncomfortable. Still not great, but with 85# down, no problem. We are taking it on a long trip soon and am not worried.

What I always dreaded was having to ride in someone's car, someone who drove a sub-compact. I was picked up at the airport by someone who drove a Subaru Justy -- could not fit in. Another car I could not get into was the small Buick sports car, no way, but that was also a height issue.

I'm driving a beat up 95 four door Honda Civic so I am hoping my sleeve convinces me to get something better!

Those Hondas run forever, though. I wish they made a convertible Accord Coupe.....I'd all over that.

My 16 year old son has been hinting around about a new Civic Coupe LX in Rallye Red for him. Sharp looking car but I don't know if he'll have headroom at 6'7". He's wiry thin, though.

It'd be a car that would get him through high school and college and beyond.

I've have long had a sports car of some sort (MR2, Z4's and the like - I topped out at 335lb 13-14 years ago) so my girth never entirely excluded me from those (your height may do as much as girth though!) but my preferences haven't really changed much. Surgery has offered more opportunity for occasional interesting diversions like a Formula Ford (those little skinny-assed open wheel cars) and a NASCAR stocker (the kind with no doors where you have to climb in thru the window...) My old M3 track toy was accommodating enough for my former size, but now I have proper skinny-assed racing seats in it so I dont go sliding around inside it.

On a semi-related topic of travel preferences - airline travel isn't nearly the issue that it used to be (though, again, your height may make it so irrespective weight considerations,)

In an age when folks are getting taller.....airline legroom is shrinking. Sucks outright. At least I'll be able to skip the extender and not have to wedge into the seat like a canned ham.

BMW Convertible is my recreation vehicle......( I have a company car)

It's a new life, your outlook, self esteem, confidence, and tastes in just about everything changes....you are definitely born again.

Well said......born again.....SLIM. Sounds great to me.

Is your BMW one of the Z models ?

In my younger days I had a 426 hemi Cuda. All I can say was it was fast. When I retired I bought a Mazda Miata hardtop convertible. It drives like a go-cart. It is really good for the hills and windy roads near my home. But the problem was that I could barely fit into it. It almost felt that if I gained any more weight I would have to take the top down in order to fit in it. One of the many reasons why I had RNY surgery was for that car. I am 27 months post-op and I fit in the car like a glove with some room to spare.

Ah......the mighty Hemi Cuda. American Muscle car at it's finest. Loved those cars.

One of the cars that I've test driven in the recent years was a new Hemi-powered Dodge Challenger. Long doors, easy access, good headroom and legroom......drove great. I was really impressed. It was an eye-opener that has had me wanting one ever since. I think one of the reasons I was so enthused was the fact I drove it after being let down by my experiences on a Camaro test drive the weekend prior. Headroom was not there and it was just a poor fit. The Challenger, though......I can easily see one of these as a fun daily driver.

I have driven a full size pickup since I was a kid, no problem with room there. However, my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe suv, that was another story. Very tight, very uncomfortable. Still not great, but with 85# down, no problem. We are taking it on a long trip soon and am not worried.

What I always dreaded was having to ride in someone's car, someone who drove a sub-compact. I was picked up at the airport by someone who drove a Subaru Justy -- could not fit in. Another car I could not get into was the small Buick sports car, no way, but that was also a height issue.

Since I was 16, I've had 3 Mustangs, a Prelude, an Accord and then it's been a series of 4WD trucks. I haven't hunted or fished all that much over the past few years, but that may be something that changes significantly after I trim down. I plan on hanging onto my current truck for as long as it's feasible to keep it running as a hunt/fish truck.......even though I've been tempted to trade it on a new Jeep Wrangler a time or two over the years.

I just got a new job, and am being fast tracked to GM. When I get promoted, I'll get a company car, a choice of an Explorer, a fusion, an Escape or a Mustang. The old, fat me would have taken the Explorer, but the thin me is getting the Mustang!

I've always been a pickup guy for my main ride.....however the ride that did change as a result of my sleeve is two wheels.......and pedal power.

I actually ride a bicycle now. And I LIKE it.......go figure. I get a real thrill putting in 10 to 20 miles for exercise and enjoyment. If really feels great. I even........drum roll.........found I needed to get those tight fitting spandex biking shorts for riding.....and the shirts too. Can't help laughing about that (doesn't seem real).......but it does feel good to feel normal when riding and look the part and not stand out as a joke on a bicycle. B)

I've always been a pickup guy for my main ride.....however the ride that did change as a result of my sleeve is two wheels.......and pedal power.

I actually ride a bicycle now. And I LIKE it.......go figure. I get a real thrill putting in 10 to 20 miles for exercise and enjoyment. If really feels great. I even........drum roll.........found I needed to get those tight fitting spandex biking shorts for riding.....and the shirts too. Can't help laughing about that (doesn't seem real).......but it does feel good to feel normal when riding and look the part and not stand out as a joke on a bicycle. B)

That's awesome, although that open road riding can be scary due to traffic.

I've got a barely used mountain bike waiting for some riding !

I used to drive a '11 Silverado crew cab for the extra room. I lost 170 lbs and moved into a '13 Volt (PHEV). The old me would never had considered such a small car but the new me has no issue with it!

I test drove a Nissian 370z (6 speed nismo) and loved it. Was shocked that it fit well even though I am still "fluffy". When I was done I thought that will be even more fun after I slim down.

I currently have a Honda Ridgeline, and love it, but I am dreaming of a smaller ride that might fit a smaller me...

I test drove a Nissian 370z (6 speed nismo) and loved it. Was shocked that it fit well even though I am still "fluffy". When I was done I thought that will be even more fun after I slim down.

I currently have a Honda Ridgeline, and love it, but I am dreaming of a smaller ride that might fit a smaller me...

I've always like the Z-car.

Interesting rides. Efficient and fairly sweet performance.

I am able to get great pricing on Nissan through a program my employer has. My wife and I both drive Nissans now.

I've just always assumed that there wasn't enough room in a 370Z for a taller driver? Hopefully I'm wrong.

I used to drive a '11 Silverado crew cab for the extra room. I lost 170 lbs and moved into a '13 Volt (PHEV). The old me would never had considered such a small car but the new me has no issue with it!

Reduced your body footprint and now your carbon footprint.

You've lost a great deal of weight. Well done, sir. Very well done.

Before this surgery, i wanted to try a BMW M5... but couldnt drive it.... had to sit in the passenger seat while the sales guy drove...

by next summer.... It's MINE!!!

This is an interesting topic. I noticed that my cars all tilted toward the drivers side when I was heavy. Now my Lexus is always level. But yeah, I did trade in my BMW 540i (which was safe with big doors) for a sportier Lexus after the first 40 pounds were gone. But I could get into something sportier now if I wanted to (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f120/1974-europa-pawn-stars-96999/)

Hmmm, Porsche.