Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was close to 330 pounds and knew I had to make a change. I did not want to go anywhere because I was ashamed of who I allowed myself to become. I had done almost every diet out there. I just was tired of fighting hunger and craving. I heard about lap band and started to do some research. I quickly identified I did not want that procedure. That lead me my gastric sleeve and bypass. I did not feel comfortable with the bypass and decided in gastric sleeve. Now to find a surgeon. I found a surgeon and started to research him. The surgeon had good reviews, so I set up the conference. Went to the conference and another surgeon was there. I was not impressed.

I was going through BarriatricPal forum and went to the Mexico section. I was just curious and really did not think it was an option. I read some reviews and was impressed. I started looking at different surgeons and found Dr. Altamirano. I watched his utube videos and it made a lot of sense. I kept doing more research, education myself on the whole process the best I could. I made an inquiry to get more information and set up a Skype. Within a short period of time Dr. A got back to me and set up the appointment.

Did the Skype session, but really did not ask a lot of questions. I done a lot of research, and made the decision to go forward. Dr. A sent some forms to fill out. Filled out the forms and paid deposit. I also joined the best support group ever (Dr. Altamirano on Facebook).

Fly into Mexico August 11, 2015. I was picked up within 5 minutes by Roberto with Baririatric Pal. He took my wife and another client to the Hospitla. We were treated very well and the proceeds of getting cleared began. The Hospitla is Oasis of Hope and is very clean. I found the staff there very nice. Dr.A and his staff come by and spoke with me and said I was the first up. I will not lie, I got scared. Went the operating room and they were getting me ready. Dr. A kept talking to me and telling it was going to be alright. Right before I went under he stood next me and reassured me it was going to be ok. The next think I remember is I was back in my room, feeling very groggy. I was very hot, but they got me a fan right away and that helped a lot. Dr. A and his team kept in contact with my wife, which she appreciated.

Each hour that passed I felt better and better. Started walking about 5 hours after surgery.

Discharged the next day and went to the recovery house. It was very nice. Met Juan and he too care of my wife and I. He urged to walk and walk. While walking he told me a lot about the history of TJ. Very grateful for Juan pushing me to walk.

Summary: I have lost 17 pounds so far and feeling great!!!!! Dr. A and BarriatricPal have been great. Thanks to Anna, Henry, Sherman, Roberto and Juan. I will be forever grateful to all of you.

I highly recommend Dr. Altamirano and BarriatricPal 1000000 percent.

Sorry for some English mistake. I did this on my phone.

Thank you! I want to use Dr. A also! My friends and family have reservations about me going to Mexico. Even though we are Mexican!? And we know ppl go there all the time. Where did you find the videos? I would like to see them. Tia

Thank you! I want to use Dr. A also! My friends and family have reservations about me going to Mexico. Even though we are Mexican!? And we know ppl go there all the time. Where did you find the videos? I would like to see them. Tia

Just go to utube and type Dr. A name. It will pop up with some reviews also. Have you joined the support group? If you have not, please do. Great group of people.

Wendy you will perfectly fine in Mexico. ...I was there about 3 weeks ago , also keep in mind that you will be accompanied by someone from bariatric pal almost all the time.

You know of all the people that told me are you sure Mexico?, you know how it's there? They were 100% true Mexicans...oh well....I had an amazing experience with the whole team and dr. A

I agree with dlm77. I just had the exact same experience with Dr. A and couldn't be happier with the experience. Everyone that cringes with fear when they hear about surgery in Mexico does so out of ignorance. I was one of the those people, but research and reading calmed my fears, and eventually the experience solidified what I already knew. Mexico is where you want to go to have your procedure because of their expertise, practice, and pioneering techniques.

dml77,

Thank you for a wonderful review. :D It was so great to read.

I am very excited and i fly in to San Diego this Friday on Sept. 18th and I will be having my surgery that day. I have to say I'm a tinny bit scared but more excited and ready to get this show on the road, and by reading your post just confirms I know I'm doing the right thing.

I have talked with Dr. A thru face time and he is so nice and easy to talk to. He was 1 of 3 doctors I was checking into and i loved how everyone on these post said that he has the best bed side manner and that was important to me (1 of many reasons) to pick a doctor best for me. Because i thought that would help calm me and my husbands nerves and reassure us that we were in good hands.

(plus who doesn't love his smile :) ) But seriously he is highly recommeded on this site

Good Luck to you dml77

I am also considering DR A! I'm curious about the travel arrangements and the recovery house. Is driving an option? Is it safe to get on a plane so close after surgery?

Hi! I flew and came back home 3 days after surgery. ....no issue at all. There are several people that drove also didn't have any problems.....they will pick you up either from the border (if you drive ) or the airport and they will bring you to the recovery house, the next day they will take you to the hospital. ...where are you from?

Hi there! I'm so relieved to hear about the great success you've had in Mexico with Dr. A... That's great to hear since I'm ditching the US process- too lengthy and just seems to be about the money. I'm opting for Mexico and traveling alone. Someone from Bariatricpal will be there with me? That's comforting!

Thanks Dr A. Hope to start the process today :)

My concern with using Dr. Altair another is his spelling. I realize this may sound silly to some. But hear me out please. This surgery is a very important surgery. We are going to a foreign country for surgery that could have complications for some even though rare. Yes the doctor may have experience, and yes English maybe his second language, but when he can't pay to the details in something as simple as spelling the word with, will he pay attention to the small details during surgery and pre and post care? It's in the details even minor ones that serious outcomes could arise. I will continue my research looking into all the details :-)

You bring up a valid point @danki. Its not a light surgery or a process where details don't matter. I've done my research and prayed along the way. My concern is recovering at the Recovery Condo as opposed to a hospital. That's why Dr. Hidalgo is also an option in Puerto Vallarta. Please keep the thread updated when u choose who you're settled on. It will help us all here :)

Thank you SetLike. I also have concerns with recovering in the Hotel verse recovering in the hospital. I am still researching so yes I will keep my blog updated. I am leaning towards dr. Juan Corlava.