Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For fat loss, low-fat diets beat low-carb diets handily, new research finds

This is the title of the article I just read in the LA Times. The sample size as small, but thought I would share an exerpt from the article (and see the link to the actual study at end of my post).

"The authors of a study published Thursday in the journal Cell Metabolism conducted a high-tech throw-down pitting a carbohydrate-restricted diet against a weight-loss regimen that reduces dietary fat. Confined for a total of four weeks in an NIH metabolism lab, research subjects got equal calories in each condition (low carb, low fat, each for two weeks).

The subjects in each condition also had equally scant opportunities to cheat, shave or misremember what they ate. Night and day, machines measured not only how much fuel their bodies were burning, but what kind of fuel. In the end, the obese subjects lost weight regardless of which diet they were on (and low-carb dieters lost a little over a pound more than who adhered to a diet that restricted carbs.

The differences were barely perceptible over a subject's two-week stay in each of the two diet conditions. But the study's authors devised a computer model and projected that over six months, subjects who stuck with a low-fat weight-loss diet would lose 6.5 pounds of body fat more than those who adhered to a diet that restricted carbs."

Original study abstract: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413115003502

Mine is pretty low fat and low carb so it's a win-win!

Mine is pretty low fat and low carb so it's a win-win!

I'm low carb for life... how low do you keep your fat? @@Elode

Edited by her1981

Nice read, but they should've expanded the study for more valid result. I wouldn't recommend any drastic diet changes based off this just yet!

Edited by AngelaWilliamsMD

I have found far better success with low carb vs low fat. In fact, I can eat really high fat and not gain at all. Carbs will pile the pounds on me, even in relatively small amounts. My body wants to store all those carbs away in case of famine.

low fat is full of fake nasty carbs. your brain needs fat to function, just not cheap nasty fats.

@@her1981 Mine stays pretty low fat because unlike a regular low carb diet that says eat whatever meats you want I stick to the lean meats, chicken, turkey, Seafood ect... Once I eat a lower fat Protein and a couple bites of a vegetable (green) I'm done. That keeps the fat content on the lower side. I also still drink a ready made shake for one of my meals at least once a day. Usually Breakfast. I'd say the most fat I ever get in a day is from nuts or avocado and they are both healthy fats.

I see. I do all lean meats, but my fat is higher due to my cheese intake. I get reduced fat, but sometimes I still end up with 40 grams of fat per day.

My concern for the study is that the data is based on 4 weeks and then the projected results are extrapolated from that. We all know that our bodies do not function in a consisted way and change and adapt over time. I would like to know how they tested/developed the model they used.

Yeah.... no. If the same thing worked for everyone, then no one would be overweight.

Pffffttttttt!!!

Some of you have probably seen the documentary " The Men Who Made Us Fat" but I just saw part one on my local pbs channel. The reason I'm posting this comment here is because the " low fat" food lobbyists are still out there selling this lie to the obesity laden Americans for their PROFIT. Please see the documentary to better understand why low fat is simply a marketing ploy perpetuated by the multi billion dollar food industry.

So funny that this topic often turns into an ideological argument with demons and dragons.

Everything about weight loss and maintenance isn't a values discussion.

If you want to lose weight do what works for you. There are multiple healthy dieting regimens that will produce weight loss and keep it off.

And remember that what works best for you may not work best for everyone else in the world. They may simply prefer another approach for any reason.

So funny that this topic often turns into an ideological argument with demons and dragons.

Everything about weight loss and maintenance isn't a values discussion.

If you want to lose weight do what works for you. There are multiple healthy dieting regimens that will produce weight loss and keep it off.

And remember that what works best for you may not work best for everyone else in the world. They may simply prefer another approach for any reason.

Nicely said! Touché!

My issue with carbs is they make me hungrier so I end up eating more overall. I'm only 3 weeks post-op, but I plan to go low carb and then experiment with the fats. I'm thinking that a certain amount of fat will keep me feeling full longer.