Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did self pay surgery. Hospital fees all inclusive $10,400 Surgeon $3500. Well I am 23 days post op and I am receiving so many bills. I just got one for $59,000. WTF. Freaking out here. Anyone with similar situation?

Oh yes. Just paid my surgeon and his office 12500 for the surgery. Now I have to pay an additional 5000 to the hospital to meet my deductible for the Hiatal Hernia Surgery. Plus the bills haven't even started rolling in from all the other stuff. Im sure I will get them just like you have. Its a huge burden and headache.

I was self pay too but have not had the issues that you're dealing with. I am so sorry that all of this is happening to you. I'd be freaking out over the bills too. Although many people told me that I was crazy to have gone to Mexico for the vertical sleeve surgery I have had no regrets at all for doing so. I was sleeved on June 9 and have had zero complications so far I've lost 43 pounds, and it cost me $6,800 plus airfare of less than $500. Well worth it to me! Don't pay anything until you speak with the surgeon, hospital & anesthesiologist and any other billing agency to be sure that they haven't erroneously charged you.

Wow, I'd be freaking out too! Call the hospital/surgeon. Hope it's just a mistake...

Well I finally talked to the lady that gave me the quote originally. She said that I have a zero balance. I am going to go to the hospital and get that in writing. I was freaking out

America is so different. I'm in Australian and my private health care pays everything. All I pay is $3000 to my surgeon..

Lucky you! As you probably noticed, the U.S. healthcare system is a massive cluster &@$!.

I was self pay too but have not had the issues that you're dealing with. I am so sorry that all of this is happening to you. I'd be freaking out over the bills too. Although many people told me that I was crazy to have gone to Mexico for the vertical sleeve surgery I have had no regrets at all for doing so. I was sleeved on June 9 and have had zero complications so far I've lost 43 pounds, and it cost me $6,800 plus airfare of less than $500. Well worth it to me! Don't pay anything until you speak with the surgeon, hospital & anesthesiologist and any other billing agency to be sure that they haven't erroneously charged you.

Where exactly did you go?

I am self pay too. It has been such a hardship. My hospital bill was $16,500 and my surgeon gave me a huge break and only charged me $1,250.00. But, between copays and all the bills pouring in from all my clearances and blood work are just stressing me out. When all is said and done, wepaid out over $20,000. It will motivate me to stay on track that's for sure. One day at time I guess.

If anyone else finds themselves in this situation, definitely double check with the business office before dishing out money. If the expense is overwhelming, drag your payments out in small bits. They shouldn't put you in collections if you are making regular payments. In a couple of years, when they are getting desperate they will be ready to compromise your bill down to something smaller.

Don't go with a loan consolidation. What those people do is take an unsecured obligation - like a medical bill or credit card balance - and turn it into a secured loan with your house as collateral. Bad deal. Most are sponsored by the credit card companies anyway.

If eventually you file for bankruptcy, medical bills are one category of debt you can discharge. I don't know if this stall tactic works internationally. Just sayin'.........

Hi Shellyd67. Just a word of advice. Don't forget to file that big bill with your income taxes. Also, sometimes if you go to financial assistance in the billing dept, they can cut it down to half off or better. Worth looking into. Hope this info helps you out.

Hi Shellyd67. Just a word of advice. Don't forget to file that big bill with your income taxes. Also, sometimes if you go to financial assistance in the billing dept, they can cut it down to half off or better. Worth looking into. Hope this info helps you out.

my personal insight was that hospitals are very good at negotiating down the bill to settle it. They want to clear accounts and want money in hand rather than drawn out payments

Good luck$!

I'm set for 29th of this month for Mexico. Your post made me feel so much better about my decision.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App