Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Wish Your Surgery “Package” Had Included?

When you think about weight loss surgery and choosing a surgeon, you tend to think about things like safety, how much you like the surgeon, price (if you’re self-pay), and availability for appointments. Still, weight loss surgery success isn’t just about the procedure. It’s got a lot to do with the follow-up care and other services, like pre-op prep. Did your surgery package include all the “extras” you would have wanted? If not, what do you wish had been included?

I used a Blue Cross/Blue Shield Bariatric Center of Excellence. Along with the surgeon it comes with the nutritionist as well. Both are used in conjunction. I saw the NUT before surgery for the pre-op. At that time there was also a 2 hour class on the surgery, what happens after, and the stages of the diet plan.

After surgery when I was still in the hospital the NUT came to see me, my surgeon came and the bariatric coordinator came. I was given everything I needed for the 2 weeks after surgery.

2 weeks after surgery I saw the NUT for the next phase of the program. I saw the surgeon at 3 weeks after.

I had another appointment with the NUT 2 weeks later. I see the surgeon again tomorrow. My next appointment with the NUT is in another 3 weeks.

The follow up care continues for the first year. And I can call or e-mail the NUT with questions any time I want.

I sort of answered this a little in your other post, but I think we should have NUT visits included - maybe 6 months / 1 per month post-op just to hold us accountable. I really like my surgeon (I mean I couldn't have picked a better one for me), but even with that, I had to ask about if I should be visiting with NUT and how often post-op. I know it is important to her (and I am visiting with a 3rd party NUT once a month), but it just doesn't seem to be stressed like it should. Sounds like @@hockeyfan7 had a very good program and I know in discussing with @@Djmohr, that she had a pretty amazing team. It would be interesting to compare long term results from these types of comprehensive programs with some of the other surgeons who don't really have sufficient follow up care.

I also think we should be required to have a couple of therapist appts pre and post-op. Not just the psych clearance but actual check-ins. My therapist has been an amazing resource and knows me WAY better than anyone else in my program. I have met my surgeon maybe 4 times, my NUT maybe 5 times but my therapist easily 20 times since I started.

Maybe I am just rambling because mine was covered by insurance and I didn't really have an all-inclusive deal, but in my opinion, required NUT visits and required Therapist visits (even if both are just on the phone or Skype), I think it would go a long way towards long term success. Just my 2 cents...

Nutrition visits would be my vote.

I wish I knew ahead of time RNY is a very "loud" surgery. ..meaning when I drink anything. .an entire room can hear it going through my entire digestive system!

Alex,

This is a great topic! I find talking to others on this site that our experiences are so very different.

I agree with the thought that the surgery is very important but the pre op and post op care for years to come really is the most critical. That is where the complications come in if there is little follow up care.

I used the Park Nicollet Bariatric Center of Excellence In Minneapolis and I am thrilled with my team.

And when I say team, I have a bariatrician who meets with you before and after surgery at key intervals. I have a Bariatric nurse (by the way all their nurses have had some type of WLS), I have a nutritionist, a physical therapist, a psychologist and finally the surgeon.

pre op - I met with a Bariatric nurse that was assigned to me, a nutritionist that was assigned to me and a bariatrician for the initial consultation which happens after attending a class led by the Bariatric nurses. Then once per month I would meet with my nut and my Bariatric nurse. I met with my psychologist twice before surgery and the surgeon once I was approved by the psychologist to decide what type of surgery That was suited best for me.

After surgery I had regular follow ups with the nut and the Bariatric nurse at 1 week, 4 weeks, and then monthly until 6 months. Then I met with a bariatrician at 6 & 9 and again will meet with him at 1 year.

Recently I had spine surgery and they went in through my throat making eating nearly impossible. I called them from the hospital and they immediately asked to see me for guidance.

My relationship with this team is very personal. We hug every time we see each other. They set me up with a line by line manual to follow post surgery.

I feel because of this team I was set up to win right from the start. I can call them any time for guidance or if I have a problem.

I always feel bad when I meet someone on BP and they have received little to no guidance. I would have been lost without my team. I have even moved states and purchased a health care plan that considers Park Nicolette in network. I make the 6 hour drive because the care is incredible.

I wish others had that kind of program.

I wish follow up care included a consultation with a plastic surgeon for body conturing/ skin removal

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I think a nutritionist follow-up would be an important one to guide you through each post-op stage (after the pre-op, of course!) and also, as Daisee68 pointed out, to hold you accountable. The psych availability, support groups and other support system components would be good, too. I like the idea of body contouring surgery, but is that possible – do all WLS patients lose weight in the same places and have the same leftover surgery? But I love that idea – it definitely adds to the motivation to lose weight so you can get the body contouring surgery that you already paid for!