Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An August 7th Sleever's Journey

Hello everybody! I got sleeved on Friday August 7th and I would like to share my day to day expirence with you so to help people who still have gotten the procedure done and know what to expect, to receive tips and good advice form our sleeve veterans and mostly to distract myself from my currently aching tummy and have written reports of progress.

First off, even though I am on day 2 after surgery I will start by talking about the pre op diet and matters related to pre surgery.

Eating just liquids, is HARD! Especially the first day guys. I had been doing fairly well. Drinking low calorie juice, coffee, broth. I treated myself with some miso Soup. I figured that would be alright. I am a fan of women's MMA, and it turns out that August 1st, my first day of the pre op diet was also a huge Ronda Rousey fight. So I headed to the bar and I asked for club soda with lemon. But as the hours went by and everyone around me was getting food, I gave in. And ordered some appetizers. They were delicious yet I felt guilty. The next day I was able to go all day with just my shakes but then again I had a slice of pizza however knew That that was the last time I messed up. Since then I picked it up and stuck to the liquid diet. Yes it was hard. Especially because my mom came and visited to help me out and I took her to New York, and wll, I don't even have to explain how good the food is in the food mecca of the world. I remember sniffing her food just to remember how it tasted however people there were very accommodating with my diet restrictions and I had the vegetable soup at an Italian restaurant strained, and I found a spot that made me a Water based fruit smoothie with lots of Protein. So it wasn't too bad. In the end, like many other Sleevers say, you just get used to it. NY day 4 you are good. Yes, you would love some food, but you don't need it. You might get tired quicker though. I found I needed to sit down more often and I kept getting cold.

The day of surgery....Damn what a day. I wasn't able to drink Water since midnight the night before and I was SOOOO thirsty. I had the team of anesthesiologist visit me, then I had a pregnancy test which I was freaking out about cause I should have been on my period. Let's just say I was flipping so hard, I gave the nurse a good laugh, "it's negative". Then my parents who were the only ones in my entire group of people who knew about the surgery couldn't keep the lie up and my brother found out. Surprisingly though, according to my mom, he took it well. Ok so the surgery is over and my first words are "can I see my stomach?" Refering to the chunk of stomach they took out of me. I think they understood that I wanted to see my belly cause they said "yes yes later when u are in ur room" I was still drowsy from the anesthesia so I didnt feel like properly explaining.

I was in the recovery room for 2 hours. I was in pain. Level 5 of pain probably. And so they gave me some pain killers

Kept me there for about 2 hours and then they took me to the room.

The guys who push you around are called "the transporters" And I wanted to make a joke out of it but my throat hurt, I was still groggy and kinda cranky, so I let it go.

I was in my room, in some pain but the nurses were pretty good about keeping me in pain killers. They told me everything went well. By the afternoon I was up and walking and I peed. I was still thirsty though. I had to wait til the next morning and get my xray done to see if I had any leaks. After that I could drink.

So sleeping the night at the hospital sucked cause they wake you up so many times a night.

Eventually it was the morning and I felt so much better. I was nagging my nurse so that they took me to the xray room. And they did. I finally joked around with the transporters and their cool job title, I was able to joke around with my mom (which is definitely me being me again) and then after what felt like forever, I was able to DRINK WATER! then they brought me some food. I could only barely eat a bite of the sugar free Jello and some iced tea. I left everything else. You really don't feel hungry. It's as if you have this stomachache and food sounds nice but out of this world. Not for you. Maybe some day. So yes hunger is gone.

I got released and came home to day 1. I took the pain killers the doc prescribed and I was able to go with my mom to Walmart and walk around. I was good until I got tired. The. Waited in the car. As for food I had some coconut Water and some clear Protein smoothie. Which I wasn't even able to finish. I was able to eat a sugar free popsicle.

Today is Day 2. And I'm in a bit of pain cause I haven't taken my pain killers cause I'm blogging! But I'll take it after I am able to drink my Protein Shake. I'll keep you posted :)

I feel like poop :( my stomach hurts. I get some sort of cramp every time I drink something

I feel better today. I discovered that sleeping belly down actually soothes my pain. Also drinking broth hurts less than drinking juices. Probably a temperature thing. I'm used to working out every day so I feel like a potato. Just going on lame walks. I'm impatient, which makes it hard for me to take it easy. Last day of Clear Liquids

By the way I've dropped 6lbs.

Good luck with everything! It will get easier with time! I'm almost 2 weeks post op. I know the struggle of NYC and oh God the awesome good food!Funny thing is I went to NYC the week before my surgery (I live in Jersey), my sisters ate pizza, and I couldn't have one slice. However eating healthy in the city is not hard at all they have all sorts of healthy restaurants that cater to everyone needs. I kind of regret not having that slice of pizza because I've been craving for it lol but i know I can fight this temptation. Every Time I feel like eating unhealthy I come on here and look at people's before and after photos for inspiration.

Thanks @@Quany . I also live in jersey. Specifically in new Brunswick and it's soooo hard cause there's delicious food everywhere. Right now though I'm having the hardest of times even drinking my Protein and my Vitamins.

The Vitamins for me is the hardest. I take the Celebrate chewables and the 1st couple of days were fine but now I literally want to puke whenever I take them. I prefer to take a pill that I can swallow. I always drink Protein Shakes whenever I tried to lose weight in the past so it was easy for me to get use to. However those shakes get boring, I've been mixing PB2 in my chocolate shakes and it literally taste like I'm eating a Reese's Peanut Butter cup ( yum). Btw were practically neighbors I live in Edison. I had my surgery with Dr. Foster with the NJ bariatric institute. Who was your surgeon?

Dr. Sadek was my surgeon. He's pretty popular around here. I can't wait for tomorrow so that I can eat cream Soups. Cause today I could barely drink my Vitamins and nothing else. I'm like a picky child who doesn't want to eat haha.

I made it through today and I drank a strained miso Soup and a whole can of coconut water! With not too many pains. We even ran some errands and cleaned My room. My mom helped me with laundry and I folded it and put it away. Walking and moving around definitely helps. Tomorrow I can have cream soups! Yay

How are you doing @@Quany?