Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suddenly insecure

I just turned in the last of my requirements to the Dr. today. Now I'm getting nervous instead of excited. The doctor intends to remove my band, do the sleeve, and repair a hernia all in one fell swoop. I'm concerned about pain, but I'm more concerned now that I won't be able to stick to the strictness of the diet plan. I've had many problems with my band over the last seven years, slippage, port pain, and now the hernia. I originally lost 60 pounds, but have gained it all back. I know I can lose it again with this surgery, but can I keep it off is my worry. Although my doctor tells me my new stomach won't stretch, I've read some stories here of some who regained all their weight, which I can't understand with such a small stomach. I don't eat sweets and treats all day, but I like them sometimes. Will I be able to ever indulge in a treat and still keep my weight down? Will I be able to ever eat a small popcorn at the movies, or eat out with friends? I'm feeling very insecure now. Any encouraging words out there? I'm really needing them now. My surgery will be around September 1.

If you graze all day or eat past the calories you are allowed....or eat nothing but empty calories, of course you will gain weight. You are being given a gift of a new start. Use it wisely. I am waiting for mine & I know I gave to follow the docs orders but the sleeve will help me by making it easier for me not to overeat. It's up to me though, to monitor myself & follow what the nutritionist or surgeon tell me to do. How did you gain back the 60 pounds? The trouble with the lap band is that you can only have it on for so long. The sleeve is permanent & you should take advantage of the restrictions & learn to eat correctly. Good luck! You'll do great if you follow directions!

It's very important to to cement healthy eating habits during the all important "honeymoon" period (6-18 months post surgery) while restriction is great and hunger is low. After time, the sleeve will lose its effectiveness, so if you haven't changed your eating habits, you are at a very high risk for weight gain. It's not magic. You've got to work the tool so it will work for you.

Yes, you can have an OCCASIONAL treat. I have had a couple of bites of my favorite, Key Lime Pie. I don't have it every day or every week for that matter. It is all in perspective. The sleeve is a tool to help you get control of your eating. Therapy and a good nutritionist are also good tools to have, especially if you have an emotional tie to food. The months after getting sleeved are for you to learn the right way for you to eat and the foods your body needs. You can do it and be successful this time. Don't doubt yourself! I gave away all of my clothes that are too big because I have all faith that I WILL NOT regain weight this time. I refuse to! Good luck to you!

You also may find that your tastes change - mine did. I used to eat sweets all day long. Now I just ignore them. I've eaten more fresh vegetables in the past 2 months than I have in the past 8 years.

I eat out. I order salad and some kind of grilled Protein. I love steak so I usually have steak and salad. I've eaten fajitas at a Mexican restaurant without the tortillas. And I just box up a good part of it and have it for a meal the next day.

I have had popcorn at a movie but I can't eat more than a couple of handfuls and I'm done. I just eat a few bites of my son's instead of getting one for me.

More Than This

I gained back my weight because I was ill a few years ago, was on a lot of drugs that really turned me into a zombie, and had to take Prednisone. Gained 20# the first month of my illness. It lasted nearly 4 years. I'm thankful I only regained the weight I had lost and no more! I'm in remission now, and am anxious to get back on top of things again! Until I had gotten sick I had only lost weight and was actually shocked when I started gaining. I don't anticipate the illness will recur, but one never knows. Also I'm 67 so not as active as I was when I was first banded. I'm so glad my doctor never blinked an eye when I told him I wanted the sleeve. He told me going from the band to the sleeve was becoming a common surgery now. I was told my band was permanent when I first got it 7 years ago.

Babbs

"...after time the sleeve will lose its effectiveness?" Really? My doctor NEVER told me this. I assumed the restriction would last a lifetime. I understand I must follow the nutrition/exercise guidelines, but have gone into this thinking the sleeve would keep its effectiveness. Am I misinterpreting your quote?

I also have my share of anxiety when it comes to getting sleeved. I get my sleeve next week and I'm getting nervous as I do my research and i see people having complications I just try to keep in mind that everyone is different. I was also curious on Hair loss that some people have complained about.

I was also told it would be a life time tool. I'm a little confused I will ask my doctor about the sleeve losing its effectiveness after a certain period of time.

@@lachellove

I entered "hair loss" in the Search at the top of the page. Looks like Hair loss might begin between 3-6 months, partly caused by fast weight loss as well as not getting enough Protein. I wasn't warned about this either :-(. But since I really want to be healthier in body, I'll worry about the hair when the time comes.

Yea my doctor told me about that but made a joke that since he's bald he doesn't really worry about that .. But we can't take any supplements regarding hair and nails because it has to much Vitamin A

I actually increased my Protein above 80g and still had Hair loss. My dr said its not all about protein. ~so not a magic fix like I assumed at the beginning!!~ Rapid weight loss causes hair fall out. Vitamins help with regrowth but do not stop hair from falling out/breaking. Some people will have limited hair loss, some will have major hair loss but it will start growing back when the weight loss starts slowing down. :( There is no magic fix. Some people are just lucky. I looked and I am taking 15000 of Biotin. Sadly, not a magic fix, either. :( I'm spending a fortune in vitamins trying to keep my hair from falling out. I am not one of the lucky ones. I even thought about putting in braids but figured I wouldn't look like Bo Derek just yet...ha-ha~ha

Dolly Parton has a good idea...On to wigs,I am thinking. ????

I cancelled my date twice before I had revision surgery because of apprehension. Had it 6 weeks ago and am down 33 pounds already. I hardly had any pain. Band was more painful.

Edited by titan05

The sleeve loses its effect after a few years???

The sleeve loses its effect after a few years?Really?