Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've known only one person who has had the sleeve. She lost 100 pounds but was so large to begin with, you couldn't really tell. That is where she stalled and has been there for 3 years.

I have failed at every diet and exercise plan I have ever tried, yoyo dieting lose 50, gain 75. I'm starting to worry that I have this surgery that I have spent months preparing for and it turns into a failed attempt too. I realize this isn't a diet but rather a lifelong change and I'm prepared for that, but still concerned.

Everyone on this board seems to have been very successful, often surpassing their goal weight. Is this because the successful patients are posting more often and more open about their experience? Is this woman I know an exception who wasn't adhering to the post op instructions?

I am a new sleever too. I had my surgery on July 23rd. I'm so thankful. I started out at 439 lbs! I know I have a lot to go . The way I see it is, the sleeve is just a tool. You still have to make changes in the way you eat and what you eat. Everyone is different. Only you can make this decision for you. The only big change with the sleeve is that you have a much smaller stomach. I am not sure if you pray but if you do I would pray about it. I will say a prayer for you :0)

I'm a new RNY, only 5 days old, but I can relate. I thought and still sometimes think the same things you are. But I know that ALL my past diets have failed miserably. In my mind the risk of failure was less than the absolute of staying the way I was. At the very least I'm going to go out trying, instead of sitting on the sidelines being miserable.

Good luck with your journey!

I have been second guessing myself, too. Both my parents have had WLS and I have seen the positive results but I am worried that I will fail at this.

You have to remember that this is a tool and that you have the power to see this through by using the tool since you have already taken the first step. That first step is the hardest. Use this site, as it is a wonderful support system and they have your back.

Good luck in your journey!

I'm with @@The Candidate! I failed at every attempt previous to this so this is my last chance. This is such a remarkable tool and it really helps get a lot of the "out of control" feelings in hand. Support and therapy for any food related issues is a major tool also. If I never got my food related issues under control, I am sure I would gain the weight right back. One reason I fell off the bandwagon so many times in the past was that I never got any emotional help. I say to attack weight loss one last time from all angles!

You read this site, you see person after person who has had success with the surgery. It far outweighs the ones who don't. I don't know about you, but I like those odds. If your head is in the game, especially during the honeymoon period, you can pretty much take it as far as you want to go.

Like @@Babbs, I like the odds. It has taken me a long time and a lot of head, heart & soul work, but for me I must stay focused on living/ being healthy and not on losing weight.

I am only on my two week pre-op diet but this is SO HARD. I know I can do it, but honestly my already short fuse has gotten REALLY short today. And my frustration tolerance is pretty low right now. I was expecting to be able to start to deal with these emotions at home during the post-op period, but I am at work today and have been kind of grumpy all day. Thinking of getting a portable punching bag for my office? Other thoughts?

I am only on my two week pre-op diet but this is SO HARD. I know I can do it, but honestly my already short fuse has gotten REALLY short today. And my frustration tolerance is pretty low right now. I was expecting to be able to start to deal with these emotions at home during the post-op period, but I am at work today and have been kind of grumpy all day. Thinking of getting a portable punching bag for my office? Other thoughts?

I'm not anywhere near the pre-op phrase but I have been reading and preparing myself for this. It is pretty common to go through the "grumpy all day" period. From what I've read it only last a couple of days and when your body adjusts it does get better. It's good to recognize that you're being like this. I'm sure my "grumpy all day" will be horrible because I get Hangry now lol

Edited by cindyw41