Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Creative liquid diet ideas

Do you get full liquids, or do you have to stick with Clear Liquids?

With full liquids, you have tons of choices. You can pick up some of the Premier Protein shakes at costco, and have one of those. I like to use it as a base for a smoothie, with a banana and some ice and a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. You can have broth - lots of the tetra pack broths and stocks are quite tasty. With salt added. You can have milk and buttermilk and yogurt drinks. Could add some vanilla yogurt to the smoothie too. Tomato juice, V8, clamato with non-alcoholic beer, juices, even diet pop if you want, but we will have to give up carbonated drinks after the operation. I've run out of ideas, but with a full liquid diet, you have lots and lots of choices. Oh yes, and Jello, and popcicles, since they go back to Water once you eat them. I'm doing that too, and haven't found it too terrible for the first day. Then I have to do three days of clear liquids before surgery. That will be the hardest, I think. Let me know how you are doing in a few days!

Ahh I didn't realize that you could make smoothies and shakes with stuff like bananas and Peanut Butter. Awesome news!! Thank you for your help. Good luck on your surgery.

I would not recommend PB or banana personally. Too many carbs. Suck it up, liquid is rough, but you can do anything for a few weeks, your life is about to change so much, a few days of suckiness is OK.

No problem. But don't go overboard adding all kinds of stuff to the smoothie. It's kind of cheating......but the rule with full liquids is if you can drink it and don't have to chew it, then it's allowed. You don't want to have too many calories at this point either, so I would say only do a smoothie once in a day. You technically could drink milkshakes too, but our common sense tells us that would not be a healthy choice. So, go with your common sense and keep it healthy. Good luck to you too. When and where is your surgery? Mine's August 12th in Tijuana, MX with dr. Ponce de leon.

Edited by Dawn306

Mine is August 18 in Charlotte, NC. Dr. Voellinger.

I'm so excited about my new life! Thank you!!

krystalgenie, how did your surgery go? I'm in Charlotte and just starting to research WLS seriously. Dr. Voellinger is high on my list, and I'd love to hear more about your experience and whether you recommend him. Congratulations on your new start!

Ahh I didn't realize that you could make smoothies and shakes with stuff like bananas and Peanut Butter. Awesome news!! Thank you for your help. Good luck on your surgery.

I would not recommend PB or banana personally. Too many carbs. Suck it up, liquid is rough, but you can do anything for a few weeks, your life is about to change so much, a few days of suckiness is OK.

I need you to follow me around for the next 6-7 months lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, well, surgery was 12 days ago, and I'm still on liquids.......at least it's full liquids now. I think this is a great thread, since most of us have to be on liquids for a few days, or a week or two, or like me, 20 days! It was Clear Liquids for the first 10 days, and now it's full liquids for the next 10 days. Now the challenge is to get in enough Protein. My program doesn't specify how much I need, but I am going by what someone else said which was 60 grams during the liquid and mushies phase, and 90 when I transition to real food. About the calories and carbs in Peanut Butter and banana, I still use them once in a while, and I am having no problem staying under 800 calories. I found a powdered Peanut Butter with most of the fat removed at GNC - it's called PB2 and it comes in regular and chocolate flavor. So I use that in some of my shakes now. My husband is doing the diet along with me.....whatever I eat or drink, he does the same. He didn't have the operation, he just wants to lose weight and support me in my weight loss. So, yes, I still add a banana on occasion to our shakes, mostly for him. I make enough for two, so we each get 1/2 a banana.

One thing I discovered is PC Blue Menu fruit Bars. They have no added sugar, and are made from real fruit. I really miss my sweets, but we have one of these once a day, and it feels like a wonderful desert! So, that's a good inclusion to a liquid diet. I also made some Roasted Vegetable Soup, which is beyond yummy! I put my portion through a sieve to get out all the Tomato skins and seeds, but my husband can eat it without having to sieve it. I will post the recipe on my web site tomorrow, and give you a link then, in case you are interested in making your own Soup. I have the ingredients to make a different soup every day this week. We have one supper from it, and I freeze the rest for another time. I love my own home cooking, and I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to cook anymore, or eat what I make for others, but I am finding a way to do that! But I am still having a hard time getting all of my Water in. Any suggestions are welcome!

The other life saver for me is the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup Flavor Protein powder. It mixes easily in warm Water (or sometimes I use my immersion stick blender), it tastes good, and it has 20 grams of Protein in it. I like to use about 1 1/4 cups of water, instead of just 1 cup. Otherwise I find it too salty. You can use it on it's own, or mix it with other soup for a change in taste. We had made some Tomato Soup, with just water and no milk. It wasn't the best, so we had some left over. We added the leftover tomato soup into the chicken Soup, and together they made a really nice soup!

PB2 is amazing! They have it at Walmart here. You might want to check to see if it's cheaper than GNC :)

Edited by cindyw41

Mine is August 18 in Charlotte, NC. Dr. Voellinger.

I'm so excited about my new life! Thank you!!

krystalgenie, how did your surgery go? I'm in Charlotte and just starting to research WLS seriously. Dr. Voellinger is high on my list, and I'd love to hear more about your experience and whether you recommend him. Congratulations on your new start!
I love Dr. V. He's easy to talk to, has good bedside manner, his nurse Tiffany is SOOO incredibly helpful, his program is strict and he has a LOT of experience. I highly recommend him!!!!

What are your thoughts on PB2, unsweetened cocoa, stevia and almond milk with powder Protein?