Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5 weeks out today and my carbs have been around 30g a day. My nut wants me at 60-80g a day. I'm a little scared but I want to be successful long term and have a sustainable diet. I've read so much about people not eating bread, rice, Cereal, etc but my plan calls for 2 servings of grains per day. Do any of y'all eat grains and did you start this soon out?

I eat some grains/carbs now that I am in maintenance. While I was losing the majority of my weight I rarely had carbs, except what was in my Greek yogurt, Protein Shakes, veggies, and the occasional fruit.< /p>

Everyone is different on what they can eat and still lose weight. I tracked everything I ate and used that to determine which weeks I lost the best and what my intake was for calories and carbs. Then I stuck to that combination.

You got this. Just find what works best for you. Lots of luck ????

I don't *avoid* carbs, but since I am always working to meet my Protein goals first, I rarely have room for carbs. I never have rice or Pasta or potatoes, because they are so filling and if I ate them with a meal, there would be no way for me to get in the meat I need for my Protein. I do have chips, candy, bread, muffins, and ice cream as rare treats in between meals and only if I get all my protein in. Certainly not every day. Usually not even once a week. But every once in a while.

Most of my daily carbs come from dairy, sauces for whatever meat I'm eating, Protein Bars, and the little bit of Kashi cereal or granola I add to my greek yogurt on the days that I work out.

At 5 weeks post-op, I was still having trouble eating anything resembling a "full" food. I was living off of Cream of Mushroom Soup most days. When I did transition to full foods, I found Beans and finely ground turkey hamburger the most tolerable. I tried to make sure that I was following my doc's recommendation of 75% Protein to 25% carbs per meal.

80 grams of carbs/day is 240 calories. If you are following an 800 cal/day diet like I had, that leaves you 560 calories for Protein and fat. That falls within my doctors guidelines of 75% protein/25% carbs.

As long as your grains are "whole" grains, you shouldn't have any issues with carbs. When I think of bad carbs, I am referring to high glycemic carbs - foods that are easily converted to sugar by the body - Pasta, rice, processed foods and starches.

Curious about Weight Loss Surgery?
Wondering how to wade through all the WLS info out there?
Nervous about the whole WLS experience?

So was I, and having "been there done that!" We're here to help you succeed in your Weight Loss Surgery Adventure and answer many of the Most Frequently Asked Question from Pre-Op and Post-Op Weight Loss Surgery patients.

My Dr and almost every plan I have seen is against grains. And even though there are grains like maltomeal and cream of wheat on my plan as options, my Dr still says to avoid them if possible.

I see a lot of people eating cheese and crackers or crackers with their tuna salad. Or all the people that eat yogurt.

Still 60-80 grams of carbs seems impossible with a tiny stomach, and still getting Protein in.

Since everyone's NUT is different, you will get different opinions. I find that if I eat a carb that is not from fruit or veggies, the scale goes up 2 lbs the next day. Every single time.

My surgeon is totally against carbs in the form of potatoes, bread, Pasta, rice, and starchy veggies like corn and peas. He's all the time telling me not to eat mashed potatoes. I HATE mashed potatoes. I always tell him I'd rather eat Little Friskies.

I don't track my food regularly. I haven't since I was maybe 2 months post-op. But I just did a spot-check of the food I've had so far today along with what we have planned for dinner tonight and my evening snack. I'm 11 months post-op. The break down came out to be:

Calories: 1179

Carbs: 108

Fat: 47

Protein: 117

Fiber: 54

Now I feel the need to point out that my carbs today are going to be way higher than they usually are because I'm trying some red lentil penne Pasta with dinner tonight. A half a serving has 100 calories and 7 grams of Protein, so I'm going to have that in place of half of my italian poultry sausage (I usually have have a whole sausage, but going to sub in some Pasta for half tonight since it's so high in protein). Half a serving of the pasta is 19 grams of carbs, whereas I'd usually have the other half of my sausage, which is only 1 carb. So I'm 18 carbs higher than I would normally be.

Also, I eat Quest Protein Bars, which have 21g of carbs each, but 17 of those grams are "dietary fiber", so they don't count toward Net carbs. If you subtract my Fiber for today from my total carbs, I'm at 54 carbs, 18 of which are coming from my red lentil pasta experiment, so I'd normally be under 40 net carbs.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. This whole process has been all consuming for the last couple of months. I'm excited to go back to work at the end of the week just so I can think about something else. ;)

I don't eat any bread or Pasta, but I'll have a bite of mashed potatoes (just one bite!) and a little of the rice if we go out for sushi. I found these very thin whole grain rye crackers when I want a little crunch with my tuna or chicken salad, but only eat a couple once a week or so. I ate Cheerios once but it filled me up fast and I'd rather use my tummy room for good old Protein until I'm much closer to goal. 74 lbs to go!