Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your 'hunger feeling' different post op?

So I'm over 3 months post op and I'm wondering if my hunger is starting to return. I'm wondering because, with all the dang gurgling, I can't tell if this is hunger's "new sound" after surgery or if it's just general gurgling that comes with bypass. IE- this morning after my run I noticed it.

I drank some Water, and it calmed a bit, but it was also time to eat Breakfast. Can't tell if it's coincidence or hunger??

So was you hunger sound the 'same' once it returned, or did it take on a sound/feel??

I'm 2 months out and I can't really tell when I'm actually hungry or if I just want something!

I guess there are all types of hunger. Before surgery, I was constantly hungry. When I sat down to eat, I was already focused on what was I going to eat for my next meal. You might say hunger was constantly gnawing at my bones.

After surgery, my hunger completely disappeared. It wasn't hard to lose weight when there was no hunger.

Some people talk about "head hunger". This is an imaginary hunger. It resides in dreamland. You remember how good something tasted before surgery and then crave the taste. Over the past few years, I had a few bouts of head hunger. Normally I give in to it and once I eat whatever I was hungry for, I noticed that it no longer tasted good anymore.

I am 29 months post-op RNY and my former hunger has not returned. In a sense, I pre-opted it. After I reached the maintenance phase I began to include fats back into my diet because fats take away hunger. At least that works for me.

I don't think the gurgling sounds are hunger.

I only gurgle when I eat. I get hungry. My hunger is so different than before. I start hurting. I guess I go too long without eating. I get very irritable which is a new symptom to me. I guess it's almost like being hypoglycemic. My head hurts. I'm like the snickers commercials. It's so bad that I have started carrying Snacks with me. Cashews, Protein Bar, etc. I'm sure my coworkers are glad that I do.

I get a hungry feeling but it's not like a growl like before, it's more of a empty feeling in my stomach and I also get very irritable and feel light headed when I need to eat but mostly just first thing in the morning, after that first meal of the day I am fine.

I am 6 months post RNY and I get really hungry all the time. My stomach actually hurts.

I had a gastric band from 2008 until the 23rd July 2015 when I had it converted to Roux en Y gastric bypass. With the band I was always hungry, what is noticeable about the bypass is the complete lack of hunger. I am having to force myself to keep to a schedule to make sure I get enough Protein on board.

I know it was only 2 weeks ago but No Hunger at all… astounding

I was hungry fairly quickly after surgery. Many told me it was dehydration, but it wasn't, I was hungry. I snack all the time. Most time I am able to choose healthy Snacks, but I have not so good days too! I can't eat much, but when I am hungry, I don't feel better until I eat. I had my surgery 3/23/15.

You said gurgling

That sounds like you need Pepcid especially if it's in your chest and makes you vomit clear bubbles.

You said gurgling

That sounds like you need Pepcid especially if it's in your chest and makes you vomit clear bubbles.

no, it's not in my chest at all and I've never vomited. I can definitely do without pepcid.

I have to say, this topic kind of concerns me. I've always thought to myself that if I could find something - surgery, pills, anything - that could remove my hunger, I'd be able to lose the weight and keep it off. And so that's one of the biggest reasons for me getting this surgery is because I was lead to believe I would no longer feel hunger after surgery. So hearing that people are still feeling hunger after surgery isn't good.

How common is this? Is this with one particular type of surgery? Is this after some amount of time?

I have to say, this topic kind of concerns me. I've always thought to myself that if I could find something - surgery, pills, anything - that could remove my hunger, I'd be able to lose the weight and keep it off. And so that's one of the biggest reasons for me getting this surgery is because I was lead to believe I would no longer feel hunger after surgery. So hearing that people are still feeling hunger after surgery isn't good.

How common is this? Is this with one particular type of surgery? Is this after some amount of time?

the way my surgeon explained it to me, was that your hunger does disappear after surgery for a while, but eventually your body finds a way to restore what surgery 'interrupted'. But I've read so many folks who said they were hungry right away after surgery, with either surgery. Seems odd to me since the nerve in your stomach are cut... But who knows.

I've written off my gurgling to be just that, random gurgling; so I don't think I've felt genuine hunger yet.

My surgeon said surgery will not remove hunger. It will allow you to physically eat less, in one sitting, if you follow the rules. Before surgery, I am always hungry. I am hungry all day. However, I only eat 3 times a day. It takes a lot for me to feel that full feeling. Surgery is supposed to help you reach that full feeling. If you give in to the hunger all the time, you won't be successful. bypass won't take that struggle away. The first 6-7 months, your body is in control. You lose the weight. After that, you have to maintain it. You have to eat to the point of near full, slowly, to give your body time to feel that you are done. Then you have to stop. You have to tell yourself, this small portion will fill my tiny teeny stomach, and I will be fine.

I have lived my whole life being hungry. I know I will still have hunger. But in 2 days, I will be given a tool to help me control how much I put into my body. And after that, it's up to me.

Surgery is not a for sure fix. Or a quick fix. Or a miracle. It still takes work. But it will help you if you follow the plan. Protein first. No liquids with meals. STAY AWAY FROM EMPTY CARBS. No alcohol, and don't drink your calories. hydrate hydrate hydrate.

My NUT has preached this to me over and over and over. If I fail. It is going to be because I just flat out didn't follow rules. And I am not about to let that happen.