Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my 2 year anniversary- willing to help mentor

I just had my two year anniversary and am very excited about my life change. If any one is looking for a mentor/encourager let me know. In the last two years I have lost 150+ pounds and ran a half marathon with two more scheduled. It has not been easy but it has been worth it.

Hi I am post op week 6 from RNY on June 25 and feel that weight lost has been very slow for me. I feel frustrated and defeated. I am doing and following everything and exercise 30 minutes daily if possible but not weekend. My weight lost has been the following:

Start o my journey : 248 lbs

After 2 weeks liquid diet: 237 lbs

10 day post op appt: 225

Week 5 post op: 215

My primary care doctor who I seen over the week end told me my weight lost was kind of slow compare to most other weight lost surgery. My bubble was busted and I cry all day. I have my 6 week follow up with my surgeon on Wednesday August 5,2015. I admit that I was hoping to be down to 200 lbs but I don't think this will happen.

So I just need someone to help guide me through this and give encouragement.

Thanks

Hi I am post op week 6 from RNY on June 25 and feel that weight lost has been very slow for me. I feel frustrated and defeated. I am doing and following everything and exercise 30 minutes daily if possible but not weekend. My weight lost has been the following:

My primary care doctor who I seen over the week end told me my weight lost was kind of slow compare to most other weight lost surgery. My bubble was busted and I cry all day. I have my 6 week follow up with my surgeon on Wednesday August 5,2015. I admit that I was hoping to be down to 200 lbs but I don't think this will happen.

Thanks

Edited by Jeannette Kennon

JK,

The more you read the forums here you will quickly realize everyone's journey is different. Just stick with your Surgeons game plan and the weight will come off. Keep working on getting your liquid, Protein and excersize.

What is your diet currently looking like? What type of excercizes are you doing?

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me for any advise or encouragement. The battle is not easy but worth it.

Thanks

Thanks

hi i am waiting to have my surgery in october with all these things running thru my mind i wont sit here and say ahh you can do it but i will say is YOU WILL DO IT. everyone is different i have been around many ppl who have gone thru this surgery some with amazing outcomes some just a little and as for my brother not at all but i will tell you to please stay focus the steps you took to get this surgery was the biggest weight lost of all you made that step now one day at a time you continue to hold your heds up and tell your self I GOT THIS . Time is our enemy so lets make it our friend slow progress is greater than NO progress ????????????

Were there times that you thought you would never make it to goal? Because I'm about to be 4 mos post op and down 57 lbs, and that's good and all but the first 50 came off at 3 mos, and I've only lost 7 going in to month #4. Oh I had surgery April 8th.

Were there times that you thought you would never make it to goal? Because I'm about to be 4 mos post op and down 57 lbs, and that's good and all but the first 50 came off at 3 mos, and I've only lost 7 going in to month #4. Oh I had surgery April 8th.

There is always going to be concern or worry even to this very day it scares me to death that I will get big again. All you can do is focus and stick to your surgeons game plan. If the say no alcohol till month 9 don't drink at 8 months. If they say no drinking for 30 minutes after a meal - stick to it.

Being concerned is more than natural but if you stick with the plan you will lose in the long run.

Can I join in? I'm so frustrated. I was a failed gastric sleeve 2 1/2 years ago and I had revision 23 days ago to gastric bypass. Starting weight was 250 and I'm down to 230 but have stayed at 230 for the last week. I do an hour on the treadmill everyday this week and even played golf 18 days post op. My trouble is I can't keep and puréed food down. I'm so afraid I'm not getting adequate Protein even though I have a shake everyday. I can keep the shake down but as soon as I have some puréed Beans and turkey it comes right back up. I just don't want to be a failure again. I sure could use a mentor!

Edited by himalaya62

Can I join in? I'm so frustrated. I was a failed gastric sleeve 2 1/2 years ago and I had revision 23 days ago to gastric bypass. Starting weight was 250 and I'm down to 230 but have stayed at 230 for the last week. I do an hour on the treadmill everyday this week and even played golf 18 days post op. My trouble is I can't keep and puréed food down. I'm so afraid I'm not getting adequate Protein even though I have a shake everyday. I can keep the shake down but as soon as I have some puréed Beans and turkey it comes right back up. I just don't want to be a failure again. I sure could use a mentor!

Your revision was only three weeks ago don't stress over one week. This a life/long marathon. Stick to your Doctors rules/goals and the weight will come off. I had times just like that. Set daily goals and try your best to reach them. If you struggle one day go back after it the next. Three weeks out your Water is essential and just do your best with protein as you adjust. Keep us updated on your progress.

Your primary care Dr may not be an expert on bariatric issues. In the early days a lot of people are slow to start losing weight because they aren't getting enough calories and the body goes into conservation mode. It passes but we ALL eventually go through little and sometimes big stalls. It's all fine. Be kind to yourself.

Thanks

Thanks

I could definitely use a mentor. I am 16 months out and have only lost 70 lbs. I know it could have lost more but have been very busy finishing up my degree a nd that was complete last week! I really need help, prayer and encouragement to get these last 20lbs off of me. I struggle with grazing and eating more than I should. I have to remember that what the portion size says is NOT what I can and should eat. Need ideas on what to eat for each meal and how much. I just turned 50 in January and am looking to live a healthier lifestyle going forward. Suggestions on tummy exercises would be helpful too. Thanks!

I could definitely use a mentor. I am 16 months out and have only lost 70 lbs. I know it could have lost more but have been very busy finishing up my degree a nd that was complete last week! I really need help, prayer and encouragement to get these last 20lbs off of me. I struggle with grazing and eating more than I should. I have to remember that what the portion size says is NOT what I can and should eat. Need ideas on what to eat for each meal and how much. I just turned 50 in January and am looking to live a healthier lifestyle going forward. Suggestions on tummy exercises would be helpful too. Thanks!

First congrats on finishing your degree. Second, I am a grazer at times too. I recommend planning all daily food intake the day before. Get all crappy tempting food out of your house. If this is a battle with family come up with foods they love that don't tempt you.

Last I recommend a fitness goal. For me it is half marathons. I am traveling for work this week but just ran 2 miles on the treadmill. Even if it is walking a race or other event is great excersize that keeps you motivated.

Your primary care Dr may not be an expert on bariatric issues. In the early days a lot of people are slow to start losing weight because they aren't getting enough calories and the body goes into conservation mode. It passes but we ALL eventually go through little and sometimes big stalls. It's all fine. Be kind to yourself.

Thanks

Thanks

Folly,

What does your daily diet currently look like? also, what are you drinking daily? It looks like your excersize is good but keep challenging yourself to step that up a notch have you had any follow up with your surgeon? What are they advising this is a lifelong marathon not a sprint. Let me know if I can support in any way.

@@PittGuy

My surgeon is 1400 miles away so no follow up with him any more. I am being followed as closely as I need - my primary care Dr is well versed in bariatric issues and I periodically check in with a NUT - in addition to having labs and checks as indicated. My last labs came in within normal limits on everything - they usually do.

(5 months after my WLS I had to fly to my father's deathbed. Focusing on that and not taking care of myself left me dehydrated and nutritionally compromised. Right after my father passed, when my family needed me, I was in the hospital ICU because my body didn't have the strength or resources to fight off the common cold. The impact of that, as well as the sorrow over my siblings having to worry about me when I should have been there grieving with them was extremely sobering. I do not mess around with my health.)

My daily diet varies. I tend to focus on making sure I get all the things I need over the course of a week. One of the tools I have employed is to vary my calorie intake from one day to the next. I tend to try to focus on Protein shakes and Water at least one day a week. The rest of the time I focus on putting lean meats and veggies in my body, lite soymilk (lactose intolerant), fruit. When I eat carbs I tend to replace Pasta and rice with things like lentils or other types of legumes - I want my carbs complex and with added Protein or I don't see the point in the added calorie load. Other than that I keep a jug of Water in the fridge that I try to empty every day and I don't eat past being "not hungry" anymore. I also still track nutrients and calories to make sure I'm getting what I need.

As far as exercise goes - when I can get it in I swim, usually a couple times a week. The excess weight did terrible things to my back and knees so I have to mindful of stressing my joints. As the weight has dropped I went from not being able to stand for more than a couple minutes to being on my feet all day. I do a lot of walking - try to get on the treadmill at least twice a week to walk for 45 minutes at a brisk pace. Some days it's fine and others it gets too painful and I do my best.

I find the biggest challenge is finding that middle ground between maintaining the intake level at a pace that still allows for weight loss but not being so sparse that I send my body into conservation mode.

Thank you for the offer of support. One of our greatest resources is each other. :-)

Peace

Edited by Folly

@@PittGuy

My surgeon is 1400 miles away so no follow up with him any more. I am being followed as closely as I need - my primary care Dr is well versed in bariatric issues and I periodically check in with a NUT - in addition to having labs and checks as indicated. My last labs came in within normal limits on everything - they usually do.

(5 months after my WLS I had to fly to my father's deathbed. Focusing on that and not taking care of myself left me dehydrated and nutritionally compromised. Right after my father passed, when my family needed me, I was in the hospital ICU because my body didn't have the strength or resources to fight off the common cold. The impact of that, as well as the sorrow over my siblings having to worry about me when I should have been there grieving with them was extremely sobering. I do not mess around with my health.)

My daily diet varies. I tend to focus on making sure I get all the things I need over the course of a week. One of the tools I have employed is to vary my calorie intake from one day to the next. I tend to try to focus on Protein shakes and Water at least one day a week. The rest of the time I focus on putting lean meats and veggies in my body, lite soymilk (lactose intolerant), fruit. When I eat carbs I tend to replace Pasta and rice with things like lentils or other types of legumes - I want my carbs complex and with added Protein or I don't see the point in the added calorie load. Other than that I keep a jug of Water in the fridge that I try to empty every day and I don't eat past being "not hungry" anymore. I also still track nutrients and calories to make sure I'm getting what I need.

As far as exercise goes - when I can get it in I swim, usually a couple times a week. The excess weight did terrible things to my back and knees so I have to mindful of stressing my joints. As the weight has dropped I went from not being able to stand for more than a couple minutes to being on my feet all day. I do a lot of walking - try to get on the treadmill at least twice a week to walk for 45 minutes at a brisk pace. Some days it's fine and others it gets too painful and I do my best.

I find the biggest challenge is finding that middle ground between maintaining the intake level at a pace that still allows for weight loss but not being so sparse that I send my body into conservation mode.

Thank you for the offer of support. One of our greatest resources is each other. :-)

Peace

Folly, first sorry to hear of your fathers passing.

How is your holiday weekend going? Holidays are tough for me some time. I try to plan for food that really like that also is not too bad for me... Guacamole is one of my favorites I just have to watch the chip count. Excersize has also been tough, I ran three miles yesterday morning but was supposed to run 5 for my training. The heat and humidity kicked my butt.