Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will eating EVER feel comfortable again?

Yes, you will feel completely normal again. I think I was uncomfortable eating for about 6 weeks until that chunking feeling in my throat that feels like swallowing rocks went away. I am now almost 2 years post-op and I managed to eat 1800 calories today without barfing and without feeling miserable at all, so enjoy the misery while it lasts! :)

Eating and swallowing got easier for me, each passing day. Swallowing was never a real issue, swallowing was back to normal after 2 weeks. It was retraining Frankensleeve to handle food again, that took a while. He threw a fit at almost anything I ate.

Finally we came to a detente on refried Beans mixed with turkey hamburger meat. I lived on that concoction for a few months.

He began tolerating the tougher foods - chicken, eggs, beef, fibrous veggies like broccoli, over time, but there was a noticeable jump in tolerance at 6 months. And again at 1 year. By my 1 year surgervarsary, I could eat most anything with any grumbling from Frankensleeve.

The one thing he refuses to tolerate is Taco Bell Taco sauce from a jar. Don't know why, cause he's fine with all kinds of salsa????!!!! :blink:

Curious about Weight Loss Surgery?
Wondering how to wade through all the WLS info out there?
Nervous about the whole WLS experience?

So was I, and having "been there done that!" We're here to help you succeed in your Weight Loss Surgery Adventure and answer many of the Most Frequently Asked Question from Pre-Op and Post-Op Weight Loss Surgery patients.

Ansolutly! Sounds weird but enjoy this time. It's the easiest and fastest time you will lose weight. When food and drink becomes comfortable is when the real challenge begins.

Of course eating/drinking will become normal again.

Indeed it will be better...but respect the sleeve ;-)

Eating and drinking will eventually feel normal again to most of us. I am 13 months post op and can eat whatever I want without any problems. I went on vacation this last week and allowed myself to eat pretty much whatever I wanted as a treat. It was a goodie filled week of smores over a fire on the beach, a biscuit with gravy, some chips and dip, etc.... I did gain a few pounds, but it's back to eating according to my plan tomorrow and I should have those few pesky pounds off by this time next week.

Sometimes in the beginning when you are healing it's hard to imagine ever being "normal", but it can happen. The sleeve is an amazing tool.

Good luck!

It was great reading this thread. I have wondered, will I ever be able to enjoy a nice meal again? What about a hotdog while camping? I guess I will get there.

Oh I respect it. But it's just extremely difficult right now trying to handle these spasms. I'm just praying for a little comfort is all :-(

magicalwoman, you will be able to enjoy a nice meal again, just in smaller amounts - and that's a good thing. :-) But you may find, like I did, that the old "comfort" foods like hotdogs, french fries and pizza, just don't taste that good anymore and the flavor isn't good enough to "pay" for the amount of calories I'm eating.

But donuts!!!!!!! :o OMG Donuts!!! They are still little bites of heaven. (But what used to be a 4 donut habit, is easily satisfied with just 1! per week)

It was great reading this thread. I have wondered, will I ever be able to enjoy a nice meal again? What about a hotdog while camping? I guess I will get there.

Hang in there, it does get better. When I first returned from the hospital, I was HURTING A LOT! I was miserable and cranky and I wanted to pick a fight with the world. But I was afraid to ever start eating again. I didn't want to break the "magic" of WLS.

It wasn't much consolation, but I tried to look on the discomfort and pain as a trial-by-fire. Something I had to go through to reach a new level in my life and become the person I always thought I was on the inside.

Oh I respect it. But it's just extremely difficult right now trying to handle these spasms. I'm just praying for a little comfort is all :-(

This is your one and only life!
Make the right decisions, right now, for it. And remember that it is the people and experiences in life that matter, not the stuff.

Review your past actions and your future dreams. Keep it all in perspective. Pursue the truly important, not the shallow and fleeting illusions of modern success. Let others have their fame and trinkets…stick to what matters, what you know in your heart is right, and live virtuously, lead by example, and stick to your vision.

You are the boss of this life, make it count when it comes to what matters. Never give up on it. You will succeed.

I am 8 months out now and I am starting to tolerate more food choices than I was even two months ago. Every new dish I try, even if it with the same basic Proteins mixed in (chicken/fish), I still take it slow. I have to make sure my Tyrion (name of new stomach pouch) can handle it okay before making it a more regular meal routine.

Yeah a friend of mines named her's after her surgery. And I figured it was a cool idea, and since I was a heavy Game of Thrones watcher on HBO I decided to give mines a more fitting name.

@@BigTink2LilTink - never thought of giving the pouch a name, great idea.

I honestly would say about two months where it doesn't feel weird. However for me in those two months it was trial and error on the things that I was allowed to eat. You'll get tired for fish and chicken real real quick. I mean real quick. So you'll have to become creative with different veggies, fruits, nuts, and other food sources.

I'm not talking a year out. I want to know how long it took to eat comfortably. Like 2 weeks, one month?