Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here - exploring surgery options

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum to see what options are out there. My husband and I struggle so much with weight and for me it is been a lifelong battle. We went through a six-month OPTi fast program at our local hospital, and we are both back to our starting weight. The good thing about that is that my insurance requires a six-month program as part of the conditional approval; however, I am not sure what else has to be done yet. I have an appointment in a week and a half to discuss options available to me.

The only people I know in "real life" have all had the RNY surgery. I have not talked to anyone who has the sleeve. So many questions come to mind... Differences in nutrient absorption, recovery time, long-term outlook, etc... I am sure all of these things have already been addressed, so I will get to looking around the site! It is good to be here, and I look forward to reading of your journeys as well. ~Laurie

Edited by limasierra

I got the Lap band December , 2011. I've gone from an unhealthy 225 lbs to a healthy 143 lbs, I cant believe I finally weigh what I weighed on my wedding day in 1987 ! !! I didn't want my insides rerouted, so I only looked at the Lapband. It was easier than I expected from the start until now, no regrets , not one ! It literally gave me my life back , so you might want to explore the Lapband too. Good luck !!

I also have Lapband and love it. Whatever weight loss surgery you elect, the important thing is you are choosing yourself and your healthy future. Way to go!

I'm a sleeve patient. Had WLS in August 2014 and reached my goal (150 pounds) 3.5 months ago. I've since lost another 7 pounds, but seem to be at a stable weight now. For me, the sleeve surgery, recovery, the weight loss phases were all easy-peasy. Maintenance is different, but I'm learning how to do that, too.

Like all WLS, your surgery isn't the only assist you need to reach and maintain your weight loss. You must learn to eat much healthier and exercise / move more than you did pre-op.

You may also need therapy to address some eating disorders or emotional causes of overeating if you have those issues (and many obese people do have those issues).

But if you're really committed to changing your life for the better, WLS can be part of some bundled changes you need to make to get and stay healthy. Just be forewarned: As the saying around here goes, they operate on your stomach, not on your head.

Best wishes to you.

I began this journey in January of 2015 and had my consult then. I had surgery 5/15/15 and got the sleeve. I have lost 79 pounds so far, 30 prior to surgery and 49 after. I highly recommend you do your research and decide which procedure is right for you. The process is different with each but we all end up at the same place if you stick to your individual plan. Recovery times vary by procedure and the individual so find those answers as well.

Choose the surgeon that is right for you. Find someone who will be with you through the entire process. Have a great nutritionist so you can communicate often and get answers to questions you will have.

Research the eating habits for after surgery. This will be a major change. There will be things you should not do and would be best if you commit to doing them. The food choices you make will be up to you, so removing temptations from your house will be great.

Work through and plan for issues such as holidays, parties and social outings with friends. Plan ahead so you don't panic and make bad choices.

If you can switch to the proper eating habits prior to surgery it will be less of a shock to you and you can lose some toward your goal before surgery getting you that much closer! Good luck and welcome! This can change your life!!

Bander here. Lost 100 pounds in 7 months and have been at this weight for about 8 months now. I want to lose fifty more. That fifty will take much more work. The band (or any WLS) only does so much, and the rest is dependent upon good habits and discipline. I'll get there. Good luck!

Hello Laurie, nice to meet you and welcome to the forums. The people here have a wealth of experience and I am sure you will find a lot of information which can help with your decision making.

Best wishes on the start of this wonderful journey :D

Kate

at age 66 I decided to address my weight due to serious health issues. I had my lapband 1/15/13. I have had no complications and no longer have any health issues. Best decision I ever made. short recuperation , very little pain and good steady loss. I only take vita d3 B12 and a Multivitamin. All weight loss surgery may or may not have problems. I felt for me I wanted the least invasive surgery. Do your research, don't read negative post and you can make the best decision fr you. Best of luck

@ - Welcome to BariatricPal and our forum.

Research and make sure you and hubby understand that all of the aspects of this type of surgery. What is good for one may not be good for the other. WLS is only a tool and you have to use your tool daily or it just won't work.

I was sleeved on 5/6/15 and wished I had done it earlier in the year. I backed out of the band (adult daughter wanted me to do something not permanent) and went with my original choice of the sleeve - NO REGRETS!

I have yo-yo dieted most of my adult life and I really don't feel like I am "dieting" now. Just eating smaller and a helluva lot smarter. I get asked regularly if I can eat REAL food. I have been very lucky and haven't found anything that I cannot eat. I eat out a lot - and get m-e-a-l-s for lunch with what I take home in a doggie bag.

I feel a lot thinner than I really am and I realized its because I had walked around for 9 years weighing more. I had started gaining about 8 or so pounds a year and topped out at 282 earlier this year when I backed out of band surgery late last year.

I hit my 50lb loss (start weight for surgeon) this morning! I feel very blessed to have reached this milestone.

Here is an interesting article comparing VSG to bypass:

Gastric Sleeve vs. Bypass: Who's the Winner?

http://guidedoc.com/gastric-sleeve-vs-gastric-bypass-surgery

Some of the facts presented in this article are quite interesting and new to me. It's a good read for those seeking info. about bariatric surgery as well as for post op patients.

One significant caveat to heed: Any study conclusions that make statements like this ("... recent studies show more than 60 percent loss of excess weight ....") are merely stating AVERAGE or MEDIAN weight loss results. Lots of people on this forum and on other forums I've visited have lost 100% of their excess weight loss and are now maintaining at normal-sized weight levels. And there are lots of WLS patients who have been unable to lose a significant amount of weight or who have regained most or even all of the weight they lost following WLS.

One's individual success with WLS depends on their education, commitment to becoming healthier, support from family and/or friends, new lifestyle behaviors (exercise, eating more slowly, to name only a couple), food choices and portions that are nutritious and don't trigger overeating, etc.

Almost everyone here has had success losing weight. Almost everyone here has had, prior to WLS, zero success at maintaining a lower weight. Yet there are many people here who finally have found out how to keep their weight off. For me, that's the miracle of WLS.

Can you tell I'm a VSG fan? :)

Best of luck to you in whichever WLS you decide on! There are many options available now and you have plenty of time to find the one that is right for you!