Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This week, the FDA announced its approval of the ReShape Integrated Dual Balloon System (intragastric balloon). The balloon is a non-surgical alternative to weight loss surgery. ReShape says it is for patients BMI 30-40, but some of ReShape’s competitors have used the balloon for patients with BMI as low as 27.

The balloon is a temporary device that is in for about 6 months. It helps you feel full so you eat less and lose weight – about 20-40 lbs. while you have the balloon inserted and inflated. Its success depends on you changing your eating habits while you have the balloon and after it is removed.

What do you think about the balloon? If you have not gotten WLS yet and you are at the lower end of the BMI range, might you consider it? If you already have WLS and are not a candidate for the balloon, would you have considered it back when you were researching WLS? Do you think it can work long-term, or just while it is in?

(You can read more about the balloon here).

The thing that seems odd to me is the temporary nature of the balloon. I've lost weight many times without WLS. Once I lost 130 pounds. But I never could keep it off.

It just sounds so much like another temporary fix.

How many WLS patients have had success keeping weight off after surgery reversal (like band removal)?

I wonder too about the long term success; however, I must say my surgeon is quite excited about it and has been talking about it on her website for a while. She is anxious to start the procedure in her practice and for me it does lend creedance to it because my doctor is not a "get rich quick" kind of doctor. She really does care about the long term success of her patients (and not only do I believe that but my NUT and therapists who are not employed by her but seperate 3rd parties have mentioned several times to me how commited she is to patient success). I read it stays in for 6 months I think? It is certainly less invasive and so maybe it is enough of a push for people to get healthier. I will be curious to see how it goes in her practice and will report back in if I find out any more info from her and the success.

PS -@@Alex Brecher, thanks for keeping us up to date on such issues!

I believe I would fail. I've lost weight prior to surgery, but gained it back, and I really believe I am one who need the restriction for longer than 6 months. But, that's just me. I hope it works for others. That would be awesome.

I think it's also a good option for other situations. My dad needs hip replacement surgery, but surgeon won't do it unless he loses weight. Dad is scared of WLS but I could see him doing ballon in order to lose enough to get hip surgery.

I reviewed the results of the studies and am discouraged by the results. The weight loss results (13 lbs after 6 months vs 6 lbs for patients who receives the placebo) didn't seem promising. People also seemed to regain the weight after the balloon was removed.

Good points here!

I, too, worry about the short-term nature of the balloon. When you look at the manufacturer’s website, the emphasis is on intensive nutritional counseling as part of the program. If doctors follow through with this as they provide patients with balloons, I think the intragastric balloon can be successful…but I think that’s a big “if!” Unfortunately, a lot of doctors may skimp on the nutrition counseling, leaving the balloon as a short-term weight loss aid without long-term behavior change and prevention of regain.

P1Sz, that’s a great point about using the balloon as a means to an end, like hip surgery, that’s not focused on goal weight. I wonder if doctors and surgeons will pick up on that and suggest it for their potential patients. It could be a great idea from a health perspective and from a business perspective!

It’ll be interesting to see if it takes off, who gets it, and how well it works…

I've seen it used on the show Fat Doctor in the UK for patients who needed to drop weight to be able to qualify for surgery. It did seem to help them in the short run, but I can't see this being a viable option for losing weight long term. In the end, how is this any different than Liposene or konjack root "belly fillers". They work great short term in filling the belly, but for me at least, the moment I quit them I gained every pouf back and they got married and had a few children along the way! ???? I think it just won't ever work as anything substantial other than a guided weight loss to move on towards something more permanent.