Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How come we can't use a straw?

It puts air in your stomach. I get the hiccups and feel full.

You can use a straw and for many they find that a straw is the only way to get enough fluids the first few weeks. Surgeons tell you not to use a straw because there is the possibility that you might get a bit of bloating or gas if you end up sucking in air. I accidentally drank something with a straw about 2 weeks post-op and it was the first time I got in enough Fluid. I am now almost 2 years post-op and I always drink with a straw. Initially it was because it hurt to swallow and now it is probably just a matter of habit, but it is far more comfortable to drink with a straw right after surgery than it is not to.

@xrayyoung22 Not a dumb question at all ;)

Ok so if we can tolerate it, it's ok? Because I too get more Fluid in through a straw and have no issue.

My surgeon and dietician's instructions only said not to use straws for the first week or so. I regularly use a Hydro Flask water bottle that has a straw--like others said, it can help you get in your fluids. I'd say, try it out and see how it works for you.

I don't use a straw now and never will again. Pre-op, in one of the seminars, they recommended that we get used to not using a straw so I quit using one. Immediately I quit having those embarrassing minutes when every time I stood up or bent over I made very audible noises. I don't care if we can tolerate it or not, I will never use one again! LOL

They brought me a tray full of drinks with straws in them a couple hours after my surgery. I didn't ever use them because I don't really like straws. But apparently my medical team has no problem with straws. They were never mentioned to me one way or the other.

My first month was no straw. Mainly to eliminate air in stomach while my new stomach was healing. I drink out of a straw from time to time now with no problems. Good Luck

I use a straw all the time and it hasn't bothered me . I had surgery 18 months ago and I'm maintaining a 100 pound weight loss.

My NUT said that we should never use a straw, for the rest of our lives. But in the first couple of weeks after surgery, I wasn't able to get in all my fluids by sipping. So I decided to give it a try and I've had ZERO gas or belching and I use the straw now every day. Now I'm getting fully hydrated and no side effects. It's the only rule I break

I use one every day when deliberately trying to get in my water/evening fluids. No problems. Easier for me to get good gulps.

Amazing the variations from doctors. I was told no straws the first two months while my belly was healing . I have used one every day since my two month follow up, with no issues.