Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anesthesia!????????????

Not to scare you or anything but my fear was not of going under bit of waking up during surgery. I mentioned it to the anesthesiologist and he did a great job of reassuring me and explaining how they don't let that happen.

For me, being under anesthesia and the actual surgery were the easiest part of the entire process.

As a major control freak who has had several prior surgeries (not wl related), getting put under has always been one of my biggest fears in the surgery process.

But you have to remember that thousands of people go under general anesthesia every day without event. You are in the safest possible place to be if something goes wrong--you're already surrounded by extremely well-trained and experienced doctors. Also try to remind yourself that most surgical complications come from the healing process, not the surgery itself.

If you are REALLY nervous in pre-op ask them to give you some versed. Apparently it's supposed to just be a mild sedative that relaxes you, but it makes me go from crying mid-panic attack to giggling in under ten seconds. I've had it twice now, and have gotten both my anesthesiologist and all the nurses cracking up in the operating room. It's a godsend and I'll be requesting it when I go in this time, too!

I can take a great bit of pain, my fear is the anesthesiologist. I have several questions for him/her. I wish I could be awoke during the process, but I know that's not an option lol

As a major control freak who has had several prior surgeries (not wl related), getting put under has always been one of my biggest fears in the surgery process.

But you have to remember that thousands of people go under general anesthesia every day without event. You are in the safest possible place to be if something goes wrong--you're already surrounded by extremely well-trained and experienced doctors. Also try to remind yourself that most surgical complications come from the healing process, not the surgery itself.

If you are REALLY nervous in pre-op ask them to give you some versed. Apparently it's supposed to just be a mild sedative that relaxes you, but it makes me go from crying mid-panic attack to giggling in under ten seconds. I've had it twice now, and have gotten both my anesthesiologist and all the nurses cracking up in the operating room. It's a godsend and I'll be requesting it when I go in this time, too!

It's called versed? I've never heard of it, I will be asking about it;)

Yes! Midazolam is the generic name. It's a benzodiazepine, like xanax and other anti-anxiety drugs, but much better, imo! I've had two surgeries with it, and they won't give it to you until you meet with your anesthesiologist, but it makes that last bit of waiting/actually going in so much more relaxing.

They gave me something in my IV to "just relax me" before they rolled me into the operating room, and the last thing I really remember is scooting over from the gurney to the operating table. And that's it.

I don't remember a mask being put over my face, nothing, except waking up. My first time ever having surgery. You'll do fine too!

Edited by The Candidate

Versed also has some amnesia properties to it. I am a paramedic, and we give it for seizures.

I had major surgery a few years ago & was given what my anesthesiologist called a "cocktail"

prior to be going under. That was a beautiful thing. I will be asking if I'll be getting that cocktail again when I get sleeved.

Both times for my lap band and my revision to sleeve they gave me Versed after I told them I was afraid of the anesthesia. I don't even remember going into the operating room either time.

I talked to the anesthesiologist and he told me that it's extremely rare for someone to wake up in the middle. They have all kinds of high tech gadgets monitoring your every response. He also told me if you have had surgery before and it didn't happen to you then, it won't in the future.

Edited by hockeyfan7

i had a major operation on my inner ear and they gave me versed for relaxation honestly im not nervous about the surgery or waking up but the recovery

I don't know about everyone else, but I was looking forward to having a nice nap!!