Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I'm new to this page and to this whole experience. I just had the sleeve performed on Wednesday morning. I have been morbidly obese since at least 7 years old. I remember earning the name "miss piggy" in my 1st grade weigh in at school when I weighed over 100 pounds. I have struggled with weight my entire life. I still remember going into junior high and asking my mother if I stayed a size 18w for the rest of my life if I would be normal some day. I think of these events and my heart breaks for my own kids. I love my parents but they held great responsibility for my weight issues at such a young age.

Anyway, I have tried every diet and have even lost over 100 lbs on two separate occasions, but even at my lowest weights I was still morbidly obese. I turned to bulimia in my mid 20d and instead of losing weight caused severe physical problems. It took a lot to finally decide to proceed with this surgery and I still wake up some days terrified, hoping I made the right decision.

I do not know many who have gone through this and honestly ashamed to talk openly with friends and family about it. I know this is a personal issue I will need to get over, but for now I am hoping a support group like this may help.

If there's anyone along the same time frame as me, age (I'm 30 years old living in the Pacific Northwest and have two children, ages 9 & 5) I would love to make some friends with similar experiences.

Welcome aboard and best of luck on your journey to health!

Wow! I'm glad you shared your story! I live on the east coast and I had surgery on Wednesday as well! How's the adjustment going for you?I'm finding it hard to sleep on my side.

Quany - It's been rough but so far it seems to get a bit better each day. To be honest I've slept a LOT! I struggled getting in fluids yesterday but hopefully today will be better. How about you? Any tips or tricks making it easier for you?

I was only able to get about 40oz yesterday! My doctor told me to try to get in at least 6 oz per hour which is extremely hard to do. I have a sensitivity to cold drinks! I can only drink my shakes or Water at room temp or it makes me nauseated. I'm trying to take it a day at a time. I check back in with the Dr. on Wednesday.

Yes! I have been taking my pain meds mainly at night. I'm so uncomfortable and I usually sleep on my side but that has been a challenge. I was even considering buying a recliner but according to a few other post I saw it appears that the discomfort while sleeping usually goes away in about 2 weeks.

Welcome my dear, I also had my surgery last Wednesday and I'm getting better every day. I sleep and walk a lot and I stopped taking my pain meds after 2 days since I'm more sore than in pain. I normally sleep on my stomach which make me a bit uncomfortable now that I have to sloop on my back and side. I'm drinking my liquid but once I feel nauseated I live it alone for about an hour or so.

Maregal - I wish I could say I'm off the pain meds but I actually am hurting more yesterday and today than the prior days. I assume it's just due to being up and moving more but man it makes me feel like a wuss! Still having a hard time drinking much other than Water but am trying. I figured today we would try to get some more variety of Soups to strain and maybe that would help.

Ctsang -

Welcome! My kids have been super sweet and curious about this whole thing. They wanted to see my scars right away and anytime I move they want to know if they can do anything to help. Every time I hurt I try to remember that a major reason I'm doing this is for them, to be alive and healthier longer for them and it makes it a little more tolerable.

Hello wow you are brave it is so hard to go your whole life with weight on your right about your parents, when you say that you've been over weight even as a very young child It's just sometimes this goes on from years and years of poor eating habits that are passed on I've seen it with my kids there Dad has it in his family.. Now my children have it, and if you can't change it pretty much a birth your never gonna win I've had never had an problem with weight until my older years my late 20's after my kids where born ugh I was always 115 pounds to 144 my highest I would go on WW and in a few months be back but now I've tried it all nothing works and I just get bigger so like you I said this is it In 2013 I had a lap band worse thing I ever did but that's a different story now I'm going to have it out and have a sleeve soon my journey will be with u girls you are doing the best thing for your life's xo

Rosie - I hear you! It has been a daily struggle for as long as I can remember. I honestly really feel for people in your situation who maybe at one time knew what it was like to be "normal", at least in my case I never really knew, I just always had the "grass is always greener" mentality. I have heard a lot of negative regarding the lap band, but have also heard from people who had great success with it. After all the classes and research, I knew the sleeve was the right choice for me, now it's just a matter of making it through the after part of it.

In fact, as we speak, my mother in law (who isn't very supportive about the whole endeavor and happens to live with me) just ordered a ton of pizza for my family without us knowing. I literally just started bawling when the pizza guy came to the door. It's one thing when I can choose to drive past the fast food place or avoid aisles in the store, but to have it brought to my home in my emotionally and physically confused state feels ridiculously cruel. I realize it's insane how emotional I am becoming over pizza but I just feel like this is the type of mental battle and attempted sabotage by others I will have to continue to fight for years to come.

Sorry for the verbal vomit there, clearly I have some pent up thoughts!! I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming surgery!

Omg I totally understand this is something that is so not right And yes you do have to battle not only yourself but others who are just dam selfishly not knowing how much it really hurts people like us who really want to change and become stronger and healthier You are going to Win so am I we just have to look through them and keep going to our goal it's not going to all "Rainbows and Butterflies" but we tried everything else and we are brave enough to put our lives under the Knife to get there it must mean something We want to live!!