Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Real Research on Post Op Guidelines?

There is such a huge spectrum of guidelines given to patients after surgery, I wondered if anyone knows of a study that addresses this. I have spent hours reading forums and websites and YouTube videos and my program is way on the paranoid rigid end. I am following what they've directed me to do but goodness sakes, I've been on liquids for almost 4 weeks now, am 1 1/2 weeks post op with 3 more weeks of liquids to go. I am starting to go nuts but don't want to disobey orders. TIA

I haven't seen any studies. That said, although I am a researcher by nature and profession, I didn't really care if there were studies or not. I was on liquids for four weeks post-op, too, so I feel your pain! But I had to tell myself, if I could research my way to good eating habits and a healthy weight, I would have done it and not ended up over 350 lbs and needing bariatric surgery. I decided to put my faith in the professionals who do actually have proven success in getting people from morbid obesity to health, and who I trusted to do major surgery on me, and not on my own apparently faulty ability to make informed decisions about eating and health. So I put me head down and followed orders . . . and it worked for me ^_^

I think the reason there can be so much variation in each surgeon's program is because each surgeon applies their own education, experience, and medical knowledge (which includes keeping up with the latest research) and incorporating it into their practice. The practice of medicine is both an art and a science.

Of course, I am not s physician so this is only my opinion.

I appreciate your comments and understand why there are variations, I just wanted to know if there is any scientific research on the variations. Is one course of action actually more successful than another? There are so many opinions, I would think the bariatric community would want to know if there is consistency in aftercare programs when comparing success/fail rates.

No, whatever I have put out there, I would think I remembered some things.

The problem is that trying to get the surgery covered is more of an issue. That's where all the money is: the procedure itself. They don't seem to care about us afterwards unless its showing less hypertension, diabetes, so pay us for the surgery type of thing.

No, whatever I have put out there, I would think I remembered some things.

The problem is that trying to get the surgery covered is more of an issue. That's where all the money is: the procedure itself. They don't seem to care about us afterwards unless its showing less hypertension, diabetes, so pay us for the surgery type of thing.

That is a pretty blanket statement. Doctors are people and some will care more than others. Suggesting that none care about their patients after surgery is a stereotype and I hear some bitterness there.

Doctors aren't your best friend and they aren't going to see you unnecessarily. If the doctor isn't following a proper plan for post operative follow-ups then certainly there's an issue. However I know from past experience that there are plenty of doctors out there who do care, but that doesn't mean patients who abuse that care with a constant need for a doctors reinforcement or other things aren't going to push them away.

I've had an amazing experience so far with every aspect of my surgery and expect plenty of others have as well. I urge people to research ahead of time, make good choices and know that if you don't have the best insurance or choose a doctor without good references then you should likely expect mixed results.

No one should be led to believe that this is some kind of scam where gastric sleeve surgeons are some kind of money grubbing ambulance chasers. They are doing a job like anyone else. They spent years of hard work and money becoming surgeons in the first place and would expect that to pay off financially. Just like anyone would in that situation.

I sincerley doubt that most doctors are suggesting weight loss surgery without the patient really needing it.

I appreciate your comments and understand why there are variations, I just wanted to know if there is any scientific research on the variations. Is one course of action actually more successful than another? There are so many opinions, I would think the bariatric community would want to know if there is consistency in aftercare programs when comparing success/fail rates.

When doctors proscribe post surgery plans I think that there are a number of factors, much like what ISG said. First is what that doctor has personally experienced and what that tells them. Another is the profile of the patient. Is the patient one who shows a high level of resiliency and would be able to move to a more normal diet sooner? Are there medically complicating issues that dictate a certain diet for longer?

It's certainly a science but not a one size fits all one and various approaches can yield positive results.

In my case my doctor gave me a combination of specific instructions with some flexibility on my side to determine when I felt ready to progress to the next stage. I believe she felt that I had enough understanding of both the procedure and it's requirements to let me choose based on some baseline requirements (ie progressing from clear to full to soft foods). That said there were some clear minimum guidelines I have to follow.

The research is growing but because GS is newer the amount of solid statistical data is lower hence less published works.

I have also wondered this, as I have researched it quite a bit online. It's interesting that doctors have different guidelines, as as said above it's probably due to their own experience etc.

It seems like the stricter a diet you follow after surgery, the more weight is lost initially?

Edited by curvybritt

Some of it has no basis in science. Evidence based medicine, basically.

The sleeve, it was pretty much that I saw the doctors taking 500 mg. of requirements off of what the RNY had. They still wanted a Multivitamin a day, but no one has ever addressed the study that said at 2 years out, they get more than enough calories in to sustain themselves.

The surgery is where the money is at. They figured with 20% or more of people getting the surgery gaining a good amount of weight back, people will be ok. There are not tons and tons of people with problems, so it is more profitable to them to just ignore or dump the problems and the rest take care of themselves.

Evidence based medicine is science. By definition.

Hopefully it is. There is some talk regarding the sponsors of such research: Coke/Pepsi being one of them for the nutrition related info.

I have found some research. If you get a chance Google peer reviewed journal article gastric sleeve and you will get the research the doctors are getting. Be careful reading the journals that are a few years ago as things have changed a lot.

I have found my dr to be about is the middle when it comes to the plan he has me on.

I also understand the frustration in not feeling that their is enough support after the surgery. There isn't. Some of us have great support but the majority does not.

Which I find wierd. I would think the doctors would offer that so their numbers would be up.

We are talking about food addiction after all. For example in some of the groups I am in I see people post food. Yesterday someone posted pictures of food they were able to turn down. I think that is so destructive and I think it can and does trigger people. I think the pics should be in the comments. This is just common sense and also it's a reality that if you are addicted to something seeing pictures or videos of it can trigger you to want to use/eat. But, if you mention it people get crazy upset and start name calling. Lol...

The reason why aftercare is such an issue is because they've got their money. The money is in the surgery. After that, maintenance is not a big thing. Many of us, especially sleeves, need help and its not in the insurance to do anything for us.

Hi sba. In speaking with others who have had the surgery at different hospitals, I am amazed at how different the pre- and post-surgery protocols are. Even in my hospital, the nurse said my doctor was a little different from the others in the same practice. My doc said Clear Liquids for the first week post-op, while the other docs said full liquids the first week. But I agree with you that your docs seem ultra-conservative. I never heard of liquids for 4 weeks. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well.