Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to attend my best friends bachelorette party next weekend! I'll be nearly 8 weeks post op soooooo my question is would it be okay to sip on a drink....not drink a whole one just sip?

I'm 2 1/2 years out and haven't had a drink since surgery. I really, really miss alcohol. I quickly lost 150lbs, but at about the 2 year mark, the weight loss stopped and I have gained back 10 lbs and I now feel like I did before surgery where everyday is a struggle to watch my diet. Now eating at levels where 1 year ago I would lose 4 lbs a week, I now gain weight! It is very unsatisfying and scary. It feels like I now gain weight at calorie levels where before I would lose. That all said, I just don't see how I or anyone can fit in the extra calories of alcohol and have any hope of losing or maintaining weight. Of course you can have a sip or a drink or two, but if you are like me, a sip or a drink will soon turn into a few, and then you'll have to cut back somewhere else, and then the whole struggle starts all over...? Maybe that is too pessimistic, but for me that is what I had to do, and I am learning even that is not enough. Good luck.

I have to attend my best friends bachelorette party next weekend! I'll be nearly 8 weeks post op soooooo my question is would it be okay to sip on a drink....not drink a whole one just sip?

@@brilemons, I came across some information today, in the Big Book on gastric Sleeve that states the folowing about alcohol intake and the sleeve: (All this said, I think a sip will be okay. )

Alcohol and the Vertical Sleeve

What about alcohol? It’s not an essential nutrient. Moderate consumption of red wine may have some benefits for your heart. It may raise your levels of healthy HDL cholesterol and help protect your blood vessels against damage.29 Alcohol also helps you relax. However, drinking alcoholic beverages can throw off your weight loss and cause health problems.

Calories, Alcohol, and Your Weight

Alcoholic beverages are high in calories. Each gram of alcohol has seven calories, and that’s not even counting the carbohydrates that are in some alcoholic beverages.

• A 5-ounce serving of wine has 130 calories; an 8-ounce cup has 200 calories, or about twice as many as a glass of juice.
  • A 1.4-ounce shot of vodka has 103 calories, or nearly 600 calories in an 8-ounce cup.
  • A 12-ounce can of beer contains 164 calories.

Drinking alcohol can cause you to take in more calories than you wanted to. Beyond the calories in the alcoholic beverage, the alcohol relaxes you so much that it makes you lose your inhibition. That means that you’re less able to resist high-calorie foods and more likely to give in to temptations. You’re also more likely to eat without planning for it or writing it down. Drinking alcohol may not be worth it after the sleeve because you don’t want to work so hard to lose weight and then end up taking in way more calories than you wanted just because your judgment isn’t good.

Other Concerns with Alcoholic Beverages

Alcohol, even in moderation, can cause problems in addition to interfering with weight loss:30

• It can make your blood sugar levels spike.
  • It interferes with memory.
  • It can increase blood pressure.
  • It can damage your liver.
Alcohol Metabolism and the Sleeve

You may be more susceptible to the effects of alcohol after the sleeve gastrectomy than you were before it. Your blood alcohol content may get to higher levels than before, and alcohol can stay in your system for longer than it did before the sleeve. Although not all studies have found that the sleeve changes your alcohol metabolism,32 it is best, based on current knowledge, to avoid alcohol with the sleeve.

Source:

2013. Alex Brecher & Natalie Stein, The BIG Book on the GASTRIC SLEEVE: Everything You Need to Know to Lose Weight and Live Well with the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

Well you won't die, if I were you I'd have a diet something, like one of the skinny girl drinks.< /p>

I have a friend that had the sleeve in April and she told me she drinks occasionally and is fine, just makes sure she stays hydrated. she said one month after surgery she had a bloody mary and went fine. i know it is a lot of empty calories, but we are human.

I went to a wedding At 4 weeks out. That was a year ago. I lived to tell as you can see

I had white wine - I would sip and when it got warm I got a new one.

I drink at least two vodka tonics a week since 8 weeks out.

I'm 10 weeks out and last week my husband took me out to dinner for my birthday and I had 2 glasses of pinot grigiot. I can honestly say I should have stopped at one. The second made me loopy. Nothing affected me negatively health wise but I just don't want to get sick or drunk.

Remember you have a new stomach and it has to heal.. Sometimes we forget that because we can not see it. 8 weeks is not very little long. Be careful