Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have suggestions on decent tasting proteins

Are the Protein powders expensive? My NUT told me today we can only use certain ones and she said they're expensive.....im a low income family so now I feel like I not meant to have this surgery because I dont have a lot of money, but I shouldn't be stuck unhealthy and unhappy because I'm not rich.....

@@glitterpockets

Look, I am not one to tell people to disregard the instructions of their medical team. But the truth is that you can get perfectly good, inexpensive Protein powder at Wal-Mart and Target. Look for the brands Body Fortress and Pure Protein. Check out places like Trader Joe's, costco (if you are a member), Sam's Club (ditto), . Some big grocery stores (Kroger in my area, not sure what you have where you are) sell cheap protein powders, too. Everyone deserves to be healthy and happy and I promise you this surgery is not just for rich people.

You can also swing by GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and ask what low calorie, low carb whey protein powders they have on sale. They do have good sales sometimes. Good luck!

eta: most of these protein powders are going to be "whey concentrate" rather than "whey isolate." It is true that you absorb protein more efficiently from whey isolate - but that doesn't mean you will fail with whey concentrate! I used mostly whey concentrate throughout weight loss and have lost almost 200 lbs and have been perfectly healthy throughout. You don't need "whey isolate" -- which is more expensive -- to succeed.

I use the Pure Protein chocolate ones and they're very good. I usually do mine with 1 scope with 8 ounces of Water and several ice cubes, and drink it over the course of 15 minutes or so. This is my favorite one out of the powders I've tried. I even add regular PB 2 or the chocolate PB2 to reinforce that chocolate flavor. Look on Amazon, as I've found them relatively affordable there. Also my local Target store also carries the Chocolate Pure Protein. My NUT said to just watch the carb count per serving. I usually start my day with this Protein shake.

On days where I'm late and miss Breakfast, I usually do a double serving as a brunch type intake. I believe the 1 scope calorie count is 160-170.

@@Bufflehead -thank you, I actually did a bunch of searching already and found a lot that are high in Protein that I wouldn't mind trying that are at Walmart and sams club. I brought it up today and she said I have to stick to the ones on the paper she gave me which were all an arm and a leg in price.

Glitter pockets, I saw you are from Erie. Where are you going for your wls? My nutritionist showed me some from wegmans and giant eagle's nature's Basket. She never said I had to stick with a specific brand though.

@@micnic1027 I'm going through upmc hamot bariatric center for my wls. They gave me a sheet saying I have to stick to these certain ones and there's only four and all four are expensive ????

Premier Protein is good....atkins...body fortress...check the sunday coupons and online you can find coupons for the proteins..!!! Also stop and shop has Vitamins buy one get one free...and shoprite has 20% I think starting sunday

What about talking to your NUT or Surgeon and explaining the burden of purchasing them? Provide them with the ones you can afford and compare them to their required ones and see what they say. My surgeon has his preferred ones, but has also approved other ones as well.

Or buy what you can afford and don't bring it up unless they ask.

I am going through St. V's Bariatric Center. Hoping for a December Sleeve. Maybe ask them why you need to buy only those, maybe compare ingredients? I hope you can get the OK for something more affordable.

No, Erie PA