Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apprehension about General Anesthesia

Is it just me over thinking things or do others actually feel nervous / have anxiety about having the surgery?

me two, i had a very minor GA last year for like under an hour and no issues, but since then I have had a few electrical heart issues, which makes me more nervous about it.

When they put the IV in, you will feel a little prick. (My first ex-husband was a little prick!). Then just let them give you a nice nap. When you wake up, you will have your new tummy.

When they put the IV in, you will feel a little prick. (My first ex-husband was a little prick!). Then just let them give you a nice nap. When you wake up, you will have your new tummy.

OMG so true! I don't even remember meeting the Anesthesiologist (Spelling?) The nurse gave me I think xanax? Or something like that when I first got into the hospital (she said they give it to everyone when they come into the hospital to calm them down) and I fell asleep after 20 minutes.

I woke up from that in my bed.

At 57..it was my first time being in a hospital and never had surgery. I was very nervous but gave my fear over to God. He brought me through perfect. Also nag with a great medical team. I'm so glad I did it. Saved my life

It's completely natural to have anxiety before surgery, and they expect it. If you are feeling anxious tell them right when you get there or sooner so they can give you something to relax. Myself, I just had my 1 week post option today, but I'm not a stranger to surgeries. This was like the 13th surgery I have had in my 51 yrs.

The anesthesiologist will meet you before your surgery and see if you have any questions regarding going to sleep. Be truthful about how you feel to him/ her, their the one that is going to be watching your every vital sign and making sure you are as comfortable as can be.

Omg, I just realised....it WAS the 13th surgery. And I'm a superstitious person. Lol

I had my surgery at Fresno Heart & Surgery Center and I will say they were AWSOME. Will this be your first surgery?

OMG Miss Mac, that totally crack me up!!! (Little Prick) lol lol????

@@Miss Mac EWWWWWW! I don't want to feel your ex-husband!

CJ Norris states it best you give your fear to the LORD there is no safer place to be.

Anesthesia freaks me out totally. Versed is my friend. With my lap band surgery I don't even remember going out of the holding area to the operating room. With this last surgery for my revision to sleeve I went out going down the hall.

I tell them I'm freaked out by the anesthesia and they give me a nice dose of Versed. Heck I don't even remember the recovery room. I woke up in my room for the 2 nights I had to stay in the hospital.

Edited by hockeyfan7

This is why anesthesiologists make so much money. They administer the drugs to keep you sedated while keeping a close eye on your vitals. You're in good hands, believe me...these guys hate getting sued!

And when they give you the Versed you won't care about anything ;)

I don't know what Versed is, but it sounds delightful! ;) I think the "going under" is the thing I'm scared of most of all. I don't have a surgery date set yet, as I'm still in the early stages of this whole process... but honestly, sometimes I think the fear of the anesthesia might be enough to make me back out. I don't want to do that, because I know it's the right thing for me, but damn it's scary!

I was the same way. My friend does anesthesia and he told me something that really helped. Over the last 20 years. Anesthesia has developed more than any other branch of medicine and has some of the lowest risks. I was still nervous having never been put under, but I was totally fine. Nothing to worry about. It did take me a long time to come out of it all the way, but I'm like that with NyQuil, so that's just me.

I don't know what Versed is, but it sounds delightful! ;) I think the "going under" is the thing I'm scared of most of all. I don't have a surgery date set yet, as I'm still in the early stages of this whole process... but honestly, sometimes I think the fear of the anesthesia might be enough to make me back out. I don't want to do that, because I know it's the right thing for me, but damn it's scary!

Versed

Generic Name: midazolam

Midazolam is used to produce sleepiness or drowsiness and to relieve anxiety before surgery or certain procedures. Midazolam is also given to produce amnesia (loss of memory) so that the patient will not remember any discomfort or undesirable effects that may occur after a surgery or procedure.