Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i'm 17 days post op....my husband and I used to go out to eat socially with friends. I would also meet girlfriends for meals. That's definitely been a void so far. We did

Go out to eat last eve....and I had 1/4 cup chili and some applesauce. I cried a little, just because it was so different. My hubs is super supportive and comforted me. Did any of you find going out to eat hard? Any strategies? Will this get easier?

I went out a couple of times while I was in the pureed stage and just got a cup of pureed Soup. Now that I'm in the soft food stage, it's easier - although I still order Soup a lot (not necessarily pureed). I usually order yogurt at Breakfast and either a shrimp cocktail or soup for lunch or dinner. I've eaten baked fish at home, but it would take me a week to eat a fish entree (or any entree, for that matter....)

Eating out does get easier! I'm 9 months post op and can enjoy something from nearly everywhere, though it's usually a bread bowl of Soup (not eating the bread part), an appetizer, or something off the kid's menu- don't let the "12 and under" label think you can't get it...I've never been in a restaurant that's questioned whether or not I can order from it. I'll just tell them I'm not that hungry. :)

It definately gets easier and you will learn tricks. For example, when I go to stir crazy, one of my favorites, my husband and I will share an order from their market bar. I pick everything and have it made and we both have plenty to eat.

I also learned that if I order a entree salad, I will have them take only half as my meal and I ask them to box the other half and put the dressing and wontons on the side. I then have lunch or dinner for the next day.

I have learned to ask lots of questions and ask for alternatives as most meals come with a Protein and potato. I will ask for a vegetable or fruit or cottage cheese in place of the potato.

We have been eating a lot of take out food as I had cervical spine surgery 8 weeks ago and cooking is still very difficult. My husband cannot boil Water and he actually hates cooking and of course he has to clean up the mess. I have found several take out meals that are great when you get to the regular food stage and even soft foods.

Noodles and company - buff bowls are excellent! I get minimum of two meals out of these. The Japanese pan buff bowl is my favorite

Applebee's has lots of choices but my favorite is there Napa chicken with portobello mushrooms. It has a very tiny amount of red potatoes so I eat her eat around them or tell them to leave them out

Lettuce wraps when available are an excellent choice in any restaurant

Panera bread - Soup and salad combo is outstanding. I love their grilled chicken salad that is made with spinach, fresh fruits and strawberry poppyseed dressing

Chick Fila - on the children's menu I order the grilled chicken nuggets with a fruit cup instead of fries

This gives you some idea of where you might consider having lunch or dinner. It really is all about making good food choices. I try to find local restaurants that offer a wide variety of Protein and vegetable meals as that is what I crave most of all.

Good luck to you! It will get easier but I do understand your tears, I had the same experience. I struggle when going out for Breakfast because I cannot eat eggs and many time they offer very sugary yogurt. I just don't like that much sugar. I will usually have some cottage cheese and fruit.

My husband seems to always want to eat out. pizza here or McDonalds there. Always starving he says. I simply watch him eat and just eat when i get home. I do get angry but only because it seems he doesn't even care that i would like to share a meal with him at a table even if mine is different. Lets just eat together and be a team. I want him to understand or at least try too. I am strong tho and I got this. I will do this. I am in Phase 2 and I GOT THIS!!!!!

I cried the other day and told hubby its not fun to go out to eat anymore I dont get to start chicken etc until Oct 4th I can get fish and shrimp and soft veggies its frustrating but cant wait till Oct 4th