Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Days off work after sleeve surgery

Hi,

I do work a lot on my computer and talk to people, and do not do any lifting at all. Can anybody tell me as how to many days is it generally advisable to take time off from work as I do not have much leave left ?

I only want to apply the minimum that is absolutely required, coz at work I am only sitting at my desk and use the computer.

Thanks,

My surgery is a bit more complicated due to some other issues(multi- hernia repairs), but I base it on when my first post op follow-up is scheduled. At that point your surgeon should be able to release you or delay. In my case he kept me restricted a few more days than I originally anticipated.

Most doctors will tell you it depends on you. I went back to work 4 days later after my Gastric Sleeve. I wanted to go back the next day but my parents were having a hissy fit so I stayed home. I sit all day at my current job. My doctor said it was fine for me to go back as long as I didn't lift anything over 10 lbs., got up and moved at least every ½ hour and made sure I sipped my Water as prescribed.

I had surgery on July 16 went back to work on Jul 27. I to have an IT related desk job with minor lifting (which I haven't had to do since I've been back to work) I feel fine. could've went back earlier if I was in a pinch for time. but My surgery was relatively easy from the beginning, I'm guessing everyone doesn't have the same experience as I did

Thank you for your responses. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday Aug 12 and I was thinking of taking Wednesday and Thursday off and go back to work for 1 day (Friday) and then we have Sat/Sun, where again I can get rest. Or is it recommended to take off on Friday too. I have an IT desk job. I am only doing this because I don't have much leave left. But if I have to absolutely take Wed/Thur/Fri off, then I guess I have no choice.

I don't have any time off left really - using what I do have left for drs appointments - probably gonna end up taking short term disability for a week...

My lap band to sleeve revision was on Tuesday the 21st. Went home from hospital on Friday. Had planned to go back to work today after my checkup, but I am super tired, partly due to some internal bleeding. My dr agreed I should wait until Monday to go back, even though I also have a desk job. Grateful to be able to rest a few more days!

Edited by MaryPh

I have a job similar to yours @shirleyjohn001. I had my surgery on Wednesday and I started back at work on Monday. I had no problems at all. Hope that helps:)

I work in the health care as a NA, and I know it comes with heavy lifting and bending and I wanted to know if anyone else is in the field that had or going to have the sleeve and how long should we be off from work

I had my Surgery on a Friday and went back to work the very next Tuesday. So I only took Friday off of work and Monday. None of my co-workers ever knew :)

Edited by Avryv

I had surgery on a Thursday morning and came home that afternoon. I took Friday off. Went back to work on Sunday, which I normally don't work, just to catch up. Was back to work as normal on Monday and was just fine.

So basically it looks like there is no need to really take leave unless there are complications. So I guess taking Thursday off after the surgery and going back to work on Friday does not seem that bad. And then take rest over the weekend and back to work on Monday.

Exactly. You will be tired. But that's to be expected. Pain though, minimal and totally manageable. Only pain I had was my incision where the stomach was removed. And even that pain was not horrible. Just uncomfortable.

I was sleeved on July 21 and I was back at work July 27. I walk a lot and lift heavy books (one at a time) to take pictures of documents in them.

I was out of work a total of 17 days; however, had the want to been present, I could've went a week post op! I too work a computer job with interaction via phone and and in person.