Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

REGRET -doctor Changed goal weight

So today was my one week post op visit with the doctor. I was extremely upset with the outcome. During ALL my pre-surgery appointments I was told that my goal weight POST surgery was going to be 140 that was a realistic goal. I thought it was insane I was hoping for 170-180 that range only. But okay whatever the doctor knows best, I even told him I would be happy with 180 and he laughed and said well lets go lower.

NOW

He told me my goal weight is going to be 200-210...... Can you say WTF

I was in such shock I didn't speak for the rest of the appointment and as soon as I got to car car broke down crying. If I had know 200 was is I would have tried longer and harder to get down myself. This was a huge thing and I feel so upset I haven't be able to calm down all day....

Did anyone else have this happen???

I don't understand why it changed my husband said maybe that is the goal for the first six months but I asked him what the goal over all was.

Your goal is YOUR goal. Do NOT worry about your doctor's goal for you. You can do anything you want to do. You control what YOU do, he/she does not. Work your plan, plan your work and utilize your tool to the best of your ability.

You can get to your goal, it's totally doable.

Worry about today and each day's weight loss, his opinion can change greatly in your favor as you prove him wrong. You can do it, I believe.

I am three month's out bs haven't even discussed a goal weight.

What was the context? Did he say that he considered the surgery successful if you reached that goal?

I can't imagine that he would be I any way discouraging you from setting a different goal. Maybe it is just a place to start?

Did you ask him?

Rather than quietly fuming I would have talked to him and asked questions. It's not an adversarial relationship, it should be a partnership.

My doctor never set a goal for me. The only appt where goal weight was discussed I was asked what I wanted to weigh. I chose 150 and plan to work towards that!

My surgeon also never set a goal weight and when I asked him what could I expect he said it was up to me. He said to take advantage of the honeymoon work the plan and exercise. It truly is up to me to achieve success. I have to want to do it not because he sets a goal in front of me.

My surgeon gave me a goal weight too and I wish he would have kept his mouth shut. I constantly feel like a failure because I won't make that weight by 1 year. How dumb is that? This surgery is a tool. Your not going to stop right at 210 just because your surgeon said so. Just work your hardest and ignore his goal.

I don't know your starting weight but perhaps the goal he suggested is a starting point. Like others said, your goal is YOUR goal. Why are you putting so much energy and emotion into a number the doctor mentioned? Are you going to quit when you get to that number? No. Chin up. Strive toward your goal. And show your MD that you and your body are a weight loss machine.

Don't let that discourage you. Doctors don't always know what you can accomplish. My doctor told me I would lose 75lbs in 6 months post op. To her surprise I lost 72 lbs in 2 months. You can reach your desired goal in time with hard work and discipline. Make sure you get your Protein in post-244766-14381569934873_thumb.jpg

I'm confused.

What does that conversation have to do with YOUR goal for yourself?

Lots of people at your starting weight have lost ALL their excess weight.

How much weight you lose is totally dependent on your behavior -- the choices you make, the attitude you maintain.

For the record, my surgeon never gave me a goal. He asked me what my goal was (150 pounds) and then he said, "You're going to do GREAT!"

I started at 235 pounds. This morning I weighed 143.4 pounds.

You can reach YOUR goal, too.

And by the way -- if you ever have this kind of unsettling conversation with a doctor again don't sit there like a knot on a log and then later go cry in your car. Ask him if he's serious or kidding. Tell him about YOUR goals. Say, "WTF?!" Be your own healthcare advocate. Otherwise, you'll just wind up drifting away and avoiding the support that your surgeon and his team could provide to you in the future.

His goal for you is probably based on a few things. First, he may need his patients to hit a 50% loss to be considered successful for insurances, and if his program participates as a center of excellence. Second, statistically, gastric sleeve patients lose around 60% of excess weight. Third, he may not have given it much thought.

Doctors are human, and they also have stupid human tricks that include saying things in a way that sound factual but are guesses based on potential or what comes to mind at the minute.

You are in charge of you, and in this case, you do not need to listen to him. This does not qualify for medical advice. You can reach or surpass your goal if you do the work.

I'm confused.

What does that conversation have to do with YOUR goal for yourself?

Lots of people at your starting weight have lost ALL their excess weight.

How much weight you lose is totally dependent on your behavior -- the choices you make, the attitude you maintain.

For the record, my surgeon never gave me a goal. He asked me what my goal was (150 pounds) and then he said, "You're going to do GREAT!"

I started at 235 pounds. This morning I weighed 143.4 pounds.

You can reach YOUR goal, too.

And by the way -- if you ever have this kind of unsettling conversation with a doctor again don't sit there like a knot on a log and then later go cry in your car. Ask him if he's serious or kidding. Tell him about YOUR goals. Say, "WTF?!" Be your own healthcare advocate. Otherwise, you'll just wind up drifting away and avoiding the support that your surgeon and his team could provide to you in the future.

Don't let that discourage you. Doctors don't always know what you can accomplish. My doctor told me I would lose 75lbs in 6 months post op. To her surprise I lost 72 lbs in 2 months. You can reach your desired goal in time with hard work and discipline. Make sure you get your Protein in attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1438156992.690681.jpg

I don't know your starting weight but perhaps the goal he suggested is a starting point. Like others said, your goal is YOUR goal. Why are you putting so much energy and emotion into a number the doctor mentioned? Are you going to quit when you get to that number? No. Chin up. Strive toward your goal. And show your MD that you and your body are a weight loss machine.

My surgeon gave me a goal weight too and I wish he would have kept his mouth shut. I constantly feel like a failure because I won't make that weight by 1 year. How dumb is that? This surgery is a tool. Your not going to stop right at 210 just because your surgeon said so. Just work your hardest and ignore his goal.

My surgeon also never set a goal weight and when I asked him what could I expect he said it was up to me. He said to take advantage of the honeymoon work the plan and exercise. It truly is up to me to achieve success. I have to want to do it not because he sets a goal in front of me.

My doctor never set a goal for me. The only appt where goal weight was discussed I was asked what I wanted to weigh. I chose 150 and plan to work towards that!

I am three month's out bs haven't even discussed a goal weight.

What was the context? Did he say that he considered the surgery successful if you reached that goal?

I can't imagine that he would be I any way discouraging you from setting a different goal. Maybe it is just a place to start?

Did you ask him?

Rather than quietly fuming I would have talked to him and asked questions. It's not an adversarial relationship, it should be a partnership.

Worry about today and each day's weight loss, his opinion can change greatly in your favor as you prove him wrong. You can do it, I believe.

Your goal is YOUR goal. Do NOT worry about your doctor's goal for you. You can do anything you want to do. You control what YOU do, he/she does not. Work your plan, plan your work and utilize your tool to the best of your ability.

You can get to your goal, it's totally doable.

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone on here! I was having a MASSIVE pity party yesterday and a meltdown moment all day and I OWN that! But today after reading all this I feel so much better and I feel more determined then ever to get to MY goal weight and be the healthier happier me!

I did not ask him anymore questions, as I said I was in such shock I was silent for the rest of the appointment but I will be calling today to get somethings figured out.

I need to stay focused and on track and go one day to another. Some one asked what my weight was before.

My highest weight ever was 304, in the end of june 293 and the day of surgery it was 279 today a week after surgery I weight 266.2.

One other thing happened at my doctors appointment yesterday if anyone wants to weigh in on that... I have been told from day one protein protein protein. I was suppose to start protein yesterday but at my appointment they told me not to until i start "soft foods" in 4 weeks?

Thank you everyone again. I really needed your words of support and I feel so much better. I will get to MY goal!!!!

You should be getting in Protein everyday. You won't start getting it from actual "food" sources until week 4

Week 1 was Clear Liquids so I got protein from Isopure Protein Drink

Week 2 was full liquids so I got protein from Protein Shakes and Greek yogurt

Weeks 3 was purées so I got protein from protein shakes and mixed in unflavored Protein Powder into thinks like mashed potatoes.

Week 4 was soft foods so I got protein from things like eggs and soft chicken in addition to the sources noted above.

Week 5 I started regular foods so I got protein from meat and protein smoothies here and there. Protein oatmeal balls, Greek yogurt, protein oatmeal. Gotta get creative!

I agree, it is critical to reach your Protein goal every day as soon as possible after surgery. As soon as I passed my leak test in the hospital they started giving me ProtiDiet liquid concentrates.

Even on the clear liquid stage, which it sounds like you have passed, you need to be working on getting in your protein.

For the full liquid phase it is easier because you have more sources: Protein Shakes, yogurt, etc.

I would definitely revisit your program materials and give your NUT a call if you have any questions.

Getting in enough protein helps with both healing and weight loss.

You should be getting in Protein everyday. You won't start getting it from actual "food" sources until week 4

Week 1 was Clear Liquids so I got protein from Isopure Protein Drink

Week 2 was full liquids so I got protein from Protein Shakes and Greek yogurt

Weeks 3 was purées so I got protein from protein shakes and mixed in unflavored Protein Powder into thinks like mashed potatoes.

Week 4 was soft foods so I got protein from things like eggs and soft chicken in addition to the sources noted above.

Week 5 I started regular foods so I got protein from meat and protein smoothies here and there. Protein oatmeal balls, Greek yogurt, protein oatmeal. Gotta get creative!

I agree, it is critical to reach your protein goal every day as soon as possible after surgery. As soon as I passed my leak test in the hospital they started giving me ProtiDiet liquid concentrates.

Even on the clear liquid stage, which it sounds like you have passed, you need to be working on getting in your protein.

For the full liquid phase it is easier because you have more sources: protein shakes, yogurt, etc.

I would definitely revisit your program materials and give your NUT a call if you have any questions.

Getting in enough protein helps with both healing and weight loss.

That is what I was taught but my doctor is tell me no no no wait until you are eating sold foods 4weeks from now. I called my nut 3 times today and still no call back....