Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when you don't exercise post surgery...

I get comments all the time of 'Did you lose weight on purpose?' And 'are you ok?'. I think people either think I am dying, or I am a crack head. I am 29 and look like I am 40. Have some nice grays and deep wrinkles setting in, and I still wear my size 14s from pre-op. Besides my clothes I need to change and the hair dye to buy, I really need to start adding a lot of exercise to the mix, I am starting to convince myself that I am anemic and dying....

@

Putting on muscle helped me to look healthier. Understand after years of avoiding mirrors and cameras. I am still working on the body issues. It does not help to hear comments like the one's you have herd.

The only one who has to be happy with the way you look is you. If you are at a healthy BMI. Does it really mater what other people think?

I am in my late 40's hair dye oh yes! New make up that I learned from youtube tutorials Yes! New clothing and being open to new styles Yes!

you are 29..Live it up~Life is short...

Here is a BMI Calculator. If your stats are correct you are at a 22 BMI. Congratulations! you are at a healthy weight

http://stlukesonline.org/boise/specialties_and_services/Bariatric_Surgery/bmi.php

Exercise does not have to be joining a gym. Just move, walk, run, swim, use a home tread mill, hike, walk the dog (if you don't own one the Rescue is full of dogs needing walking) or anything else you might incorporate into a daily routine. I agree with the others, the only one that needs to approve of your looks is you and how you feel about yourself will project to others. Good luck you seem like your on track to a healthier you!

You and I are close to the same age- I was 29 when I got my sleeve and I am 31 now.I worked out hardcore until my first plastics surgery when I weighed around 153. I ended up losing my last 27 pounds without doing much in the way of working out other than powerwalking. Fortunately, thanks to plastics I look decent, however every once in awhile I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror at the gym (I've started working out again in the last week or so) and I think, yikes, why do I look so anorexically weird. I'm not even really skinny! I think it is primarily because the skin over my cheekbones is a little taut, I apparently slouch, and you can see my ribs and my collar bone. Then you look at my butt and clearly I am not anorexic, lol.

Adding excercise should help you feel better and give you more definition and potentially expedite your way to goal. I tend to gain weight when I first start working out again, which always frustrates me, but you just need to tell yourself that working out is ALWAYS good for you. No matter what state of health you are in, exercise that is adapted for you, is never a bad thing. So if you watch your calories and you go to the gym, you're doing the right thing, even if the scale doesn't seem very cooperative at first.

I agree!!! Get some new clothes ( even if it is from a second hand store)....get some muscle, 5 dollar hair dye and Celebrate my dear...I would DYE to be 29 again!!!

xoxoxox

You can turn this around very fast. Just a new clothing item from Ross or thrift store, a quick hair dye job, and you will feel better I predict!

Good enough to walk around the block I hope.

Sometimes, the hardest person to please is yourself.

Your thirties can be good!!

Honey, you're in one of the many primes of life.

Grab that brass ring and have a blast. Create your look and your life.

Ain't nobody gonna do it for you.

You sound a little depressed. :( Get yourself outside in the fresh air, go for a walk, color your hair, buy some new duds and Celebrate YOU!!! Don't let yourself fall into another cycle of "self bashing". See yourself for the beauty that you are! Change your attitude, change your LIFE! .........okay, don't mean to sound like a cheerleader, or maybe I do. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity of this surgery. I am beyond thrilled that I have lost almost 100 pounds and I emphasize the positive every single chance I get. At age 56 I wonder at who this new (old) gal in the mirror is, yes, her, with the saggy boobies and booty, I am thrilled to see her, warts and all. I know by losing this weight I have gained a few more years to see the beauty and joy life has to offer. C'mon, celebrate you! Accentuate the positive and life your best, happy life. Good luck....today is the day to begin! Don't put it off, diets start on Monday.....life doesn't!!!!!

I am 61 and have the same stats as "onmywaytoonderland". My surgery is August 21st. Onmywaytoonederland, you are an inspiration to me. Even though I am 5 years older than you, I am so encouraged by you. Did you exercise after surgery? How much? I am planning to walk at first and when I am able to, I will add more so I can tone up. Any suggestions you can give me will be gratefully appreciated. How long did it take you to recover and get back to your normal routine? Thank you in advance for any advice you my send my way. Kind Regards and Congratulations to you.

Looks like OP is no longer a member. People who post these cries for help and then disappear scare me. Hoping she is okay. ????

I didn't start exercising for several months by which time I'd lost probably half of my total 90 pounds. I looked really weird in the beginning. Face saggy, hollow eyes, thinning hair, etc. Not HORRIBLE, but I felt like I LOOKED sick, like many of us do when we don't recognize our reflection. I purchased a good stationary bike and started using it 5 x per week for 45-60 minutes. My legs tones up. I added some push ups and crunches and my arms and shoulders squared up. My energy level went through the roof! The bags under my eyes shrunk. It takes a while for your body to fall into place after you hit maintenance, (like a year for me). I feel like I look normal in a mirror now, but in pictures... Still don't recognize that girl. My mom says the same. I just look different now. Not bad, just different.

Patsy, I'm sorry for the delayed response, I just saw this! Well, you had your surgery yesterday!!! Congratulations! I bet today you aren't ready to run a marathon, probably not tomorrow or the next day either. But, you may, one day, feel like it. The first few days were a bit rough for me, but I mostly slept through them. The first month was such a learning experience. I was filled with wonder that I wasn't hungry all the time any more. There was discomfort, but nothing I remember being horrible. I was so busy reading this site and learning more about the questions I didn't know to ask. It was fascinating that I was actually dropping pounds. By the end of that first 2 weeks, I was back to me. I went back to work (where I stand on my feet 8 hours a day), and I learned a routine for healthy eating. The wonderful people on this site educated me more than my surgeon or NUT. I would definitely not have been as successful without everyone here.

As soon as the dr. gives you the go ahead, start walking, walk around the block, on the treatmill, in the mall....everywhere. It is an easy, great exercise. I have a bunch of exercise videos (ummmm, don't we all???) and I actually USE them now! Please make sure you do some toning exercises for your arms and crunches for that new tiny tummy you are about to find. The day will come that you actually WANT to exercise, look forward to it even. Haha, that shocked the heck out of me - whodathunk?!?!? This old gal wanting to exercise (heck, maybe they did operate on my brain after all :) The transformations, both physically and emotionally, are some days quite overwhelming. I look in the mirror and am amazed at this person I see staring back. I never thought I would see her again and boy did I ever miss her!

Take lots of pictures of your dwindling self. It takes the mind so long to catch up. The pictures help you to see what is really going on when you only drop one or two pounds in three weeks.

You are going to do great! I hope today is not too bad and that as soon as you are able you get up and start walking....especially around the hospital halls (you want to move that gas out of you FAST....just get moving as soon as possible. Do as much as you think you can, then do 5 minutes more. Don't push too hard, but don't be baby yourself either. I truly believe in the power of positive thinking, don't think it is going to be horrible, think that this is going to be a quick, relatively painless recovery!

I am so thrilled that I had the opportunity of this surgery and I hope you are too. That 40 minute operation changed my life.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I love to read of the happiness people find after years of depression. Such a wonderful thing!!!! Look forward to watching you become a butterfly again!