Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So surgeon said surgery should be in November... So I've been working out to loose 10 pounds before surgery. And trying to not eat and drink at the same time ... I'm having some doubts. What if I can't ever go out for an ice cream again., or how am I not gonna eat and drink at the same time. Did anyone ever have these doubts?

@@capricec

It's great that you are trying some of the steps that will take place after surgery. Most of us before surgery have struggled on diets and exercise.We have seen the yo yo effect of weight loss then gains over and over. With bariatric surgery I looked at food differently and felt satisfied. food no longer ruled my world. Just know the changes you make with the surgery will become your new normal. My behaviors before surgery put me in a place where I was not living my life the way I wanted. Making changes both physically and mentally with bariatrics is so worth it.

I have a sleeve. Understand I can eat what ever I want. I have had to make a choice. My food addictions and bad habits. Or to make changes to get healthy to live and enjoy life. I am at goal. Yes I can have a treat now and then. But I know I have to workout even harder to not see the scale reflect that food choice. With the sleeve you do not get dumping syndrome. Some of the other surgery types will get dumping syndrome after eating sugar.

I had my doubts before surgery if I was strong enough to be successful. You have a lot of support on bariatricpal. Try not to think of the never going to be able to do.....and think of all the things you can get back in life if you are willing to make changes.

I wish you the best,

Jenn

I have had some of the same doubts. I am currently struggling just to not gain any weight before my surgery in November and it is rough. Sometimes now when I go out to eat with a group of friends, or even Breakfast with my dad, I question whether I will ever be able to do these types of things again. Can I ever go on an ice cream date again? And then I remind myself how healthy my body will feel, and that I can still do all of the same things I always did, but instead of feeling like I need to eat an entire sundae, I'll be able to eat a bite or two of my date's and feel content. We can do this. food is not going to be my life anymore, and it's a best friend I am saying goodbye to.

I have had some of the same doubts. I am currently struggling just to not gain any weight before my surgery in November and it is rough. Sometimes now when I go out to eat with a group of friends, or even breakfast with my dad, I question whether I will ever be able to do these types of things again. Can I ever go on an ice cream date again? And then I remind myself how healthy my body will feel, and that I can still do all of the same things I always did, but instead of feeling like I need to eat an entire sundae, I'll be able to eat a bite or two of my date's and feel content. We can do this. food is not going to be my life anymore, and it's a best friend I am saying goodbye to.

It's exactly how I feel. My fiancé is super supportive, he explains how we'll split an ice cream and how happy I'll be to be healthy. I'm just so afraid. I enjoy eating with friends and I love to cook. I'm just having "on of those nights"

Thank u so much

For me in the beginning while I healed and lost the majority of my weight I avoided unhealthy foods and really stuck with my plan. However, post surgery, food does not seem to have a hold like it does before surgery. I focused on following my plans rules. I am over a year post op and still do not eat and drink. That becomes second nature after awhile.

Now that I am just maintaining I do eat treats. I had ice cream yesterday and chocolate covered raisins today (I am on vacation and I am splurging) I feel like I eat like a regular person now.

So my point is, after that crazy long post- is you will be able to live a normal life and indulge occasionally. Life just gets better. Good luck to you, this is a wonderful life changing process!!!

Nope.

No doubts.

It boils down to this: How badly do you want to be healthier?

I had all the same concerns you did, but really after the sleeve you can still technically eat anything you want to, just in much smaller portions. I really like Mac and cheese from Panera, so every few weeks I'll order a cup, scoop out half and give it to my boyfriend, and then I'll eat about half of the other half before I'm full. I had ice cream and cake last week at a birthday dinner, but only a few bites of both. Sometimes I drink tequila or wine, around Christmas I eat my face off in chocolate and Cookies, and for my birthday I am going to have cake, drink some wine, and maybe eat some steak. I am currently below goal weight, I eat healthily and like a normal person the majority of the time, but when I want a bit of something bad for me, I enjoy it. Oh and that not drinking while you eat thing....I stopped that garbage at about 4 weeks in. It's only a rule so that you don't flush the solid food through your sleeve faster than you would if you weren't adding Fluid to the pouch at the same time. You just need to be cognizant of how much you eat and there's really no medical reason to eat for the rest of your life with a dry mouth.

Life is about living and part of living involves food. Food is fuel, yes, but it is also something to be enjoyed with friends. The whole point of the surgery is to actually get to live a happy, healthy, and FUN life. The sleeve lets you do that.

So...no regrets. :)

@@capricec

Going out with friends or even a date is still just as fun. The amount that you eat makes you a cheap date. I still love to cook. I work for a catering service. It's so nice not to crave all the amazing food I see daily.