Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling horrible, 7 wks post op, eating hurts, laxatives suck, acid is back with avengence

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read. I need help and encouragement. I have A LOT going for me and up until last week that included how I felt post op. I started on pureed foods and had a bad reaction to some turkey. So much so that my stomach is still feeling sore a week later :(. It hurts really bad. Now when I eat I feel every bite, it's so off putting I don't want to eat. Anything. But if I don't eat, obviously I'm weak, and also the acid gets really bad coming up into my esophagus.

So bad I can hear it! And it made my voice horse over the weekend. I've contacted my doctor who has advised me to up my PPI to 2X each day (Lord I don't want to have to do that for the rest of my life). I actually had the procedure that was supposed to curb acid reflux...I felt it was working until last week. I switched back to eating Soups and broth and popsicles.

I am terrified of eating meat now and that makes me really sad. From someone who is/was addicted to food to someone who is literally afraid to eat, it's a true mind f**k that is making me sad. And i'm not a person who regrets things - I was hopeful the weight loss would help stop the acid, which is like living a slow death IHO! I've lost 30lbs, happy to be looking better, but I do not feel better. I haven't had a natural bowel movement, all facilitated by laxatives that leave me sluggish and dehydrated and pooping all day, so much so I have to stay home from work.

I'm holding hope out for the future, but suffice to say, i feel just as bad pre-op, as I do now. I do not want to live like this.

Edited by DavisP

At 7 weeks post-op your new tummy is still healing. I wish I could say all that would resolve itself but some have to take antacids ongoing. I know you don't wish to do that but that would be better than meds for co-morbidities. Hang in there it will get better. Your system is still re-adjusting to surgery, a major change in diet and higher Protein. Things will level off and the weight loss will make you feel better. Good luck!!

First priority should be to stay hydrated and get the reflux under control. If you need to step back to liquids for a bit, then do so. As for the Constipation issue, you can add foods to your diet that will help you not need laxatives. Spinach pureed , small amounts of fruit pureed or a shot of prune juice daily may help. Make sure you are getting in ALL your Water. I was started on omeprazole in the hospital by my doctor. I had to increase my dosage from about month 3 to month 6. At that point my tummy was healed and my body adjusted. You're still early in the journey. You may need to progress back to whole foods at a slower pace.

HI Davis, I am so sorry to hear you are struggling so much! I know that most of us go through a case of depression right about where you are at :). Some its very mild and short others its a real struggle. I promise you are just experiencing what a whole lot of people do at this stage. You have a 'brand new" stomach and it is still healing. It may take some time before you can get off the PPI's , especially if you were on them pre-op. The proton pumps get used to not having to work so they take time to get restarted. Sometimes its just having a very sensitive stomach as my husband does not have a weight problem but takes prevacid 2x a day for the last 20+ years. Don't give up! Everyone has a trial and error phase where you have to try things slowly and see what does and doesn't agree with you. As far as taking laxatives, it is quite normal to only have to go once every couple or 3 days as we aren't putting that much in to our bodies. If its the Iron giving you issues, try a stool softener instead of a laxative. I hope I have helped and not frustrated you more ;)

...... As far as taking laxatives, it is quite normal to only have to go once every couple or 3 days as we aren't putting that much in to our bodies. If its the Iron giving you issues, try a stool softener instead of a laxative. I hope I have helped and not frustrated you more ;)

. Going once every 3 days isn't normal. I go each and every day and have done so since week 1. It takes some longer to get back to pooping regularly, but it can go back to normal.

I am just repeating what my surgeon and my NUT has told me. So feel free to disagree with them, but you should not put a "not normal" label on anything in this VSG world as so many Surgeon and NUT directions vary so greatly and everyone's body reacts differently to different directions.

Not pooping for 3 days isn't normal. There are plenty unusual things in the VSG world. My team informed me that as long as I ate a balanced diet my bowel movements should return to what they were pre surgery. My surgery prophylactically starts all his patients on stool softener while in the hospital and 30 after so that they don't have vowel issues.

I wish my surgeon had put me on a softener.... My movements are FAR from normal, and have ended up at 7 weeks out possibly needing another surgery due to them being so hard and excruciating has caused a fissure... Water AND Fiber AND SOFTENERS PEOPLE!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think these tips will help. I just have to tough out the discomfort until I heal. :( Last night was rough...no more laxatives, stool softeners and prune juice only. Also, trying 2 PPIs today, antacids like Tums DO NOT work for me.

Not pooping for 3 days isn't normal. There are plenty unusual things in the VSG world. My team informed me that as long as I ate a balanced diet my bowel movements should return to what they were pre surgery. My surgery prophylactically starts all his patients on stool softener while in the hospital and 30 after so that they don't have vowel issues.

As a nurse, I can tell you that having a BM every 2-3 days is within normal limits. In fact, believing that you need to pass stool every day is what leads many people to laxative abuse. Additionally, given the extremely restrictive diet and consuming liquids, this is fine. Unless you actively feel Constipation and colonic pressure and need to poop but can't, it is acceptable.

Here's some encouragement about the PPIs.

My surgeon had me use a PPI (Protonix) for three months post-op.

After that I tapered off Protonix and went back to my pre-op Rx of 40 mg. Ranitidine twice a day. No problemo.

Then one day (after I hit maintenance) I got stuck in a car with fast-food-eating relatives traveling to a family event far away. That day (which lasted nearly a dozen hours) I wound up drinking 30 ounces of diet coke (I let the bubbles dissipate, but the acid content was still there), eating a huge ice cream cone, a McDonalds sandwich, a Subway sandwich, and 250 cals of Sun chips. NOT my best maintenance day ever, eh?

And for a full week thereafter I had horrible acid reflux.

I then went back to using my Protonix for 10 days, then went all the way back to my old Ranitidine Rx.

I'm fine now.

That led me to realize that I can't get away with violating all the rules of eating for reflux patients in the same day. And I have NO plans to ever drink a diet coke again, with or without bubbles. ;)

So you can hope it's possible to taper off your PPI in the near future.

Good luck.

As a nurse, I can tell you that having a BM every 2-3 days is within normal limits. In fact, believing that you need to pass stool every day is what leads many people to laxative abuse. Additionally, given the extremely restrictive diet and consuming liquids, this is fine. Unless you actively feel Constipation and colonic pressure and need to poop but can't, it is acceptable.

Thank you so much I knew this was true but not being a medical professional I wasn't going to argue.

I stand corrected. I have always been extremely regular and can't imagine having fecal matter sitting in my body for days. Prior to surgery I went 2 - 3 times a day with no laxative assistance. I pretty much went 2-3 hours after each meal. My surgeon is also on the conservative side and starts all his patients on a PPI and stool softener immediately following surgery. I appreciated his precautions.

Hopefully the OP can find some relief. Don't worry about being on PPI's for life. Chances is you won't need them once your tummy heals. For now do what you can to stay comfortable. If you have any other concerns, call your doctor back.

Although it may be "normal" to go every 2-3 days ( I do) it is more ideal to go every day. If I could get to that point I would be happy! I'm currently working on it by trying to implement more Fiber into my diet. I believe @@BLERDgirl has the right idea. She's also a vegetarian, so her diet is more ideal for the digestive system.

Oh, and for the OP and anyone else who struggles to go, I have 2 words for you: Squatty Potty. Look it up, then go buy one. You'll thank me.