Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To straw or not to straw

I have not had my sleeve surgery yet, I have one seminar class left and one nutrition class left, I go for my keg and other test then hopefully sept will be my date, I have done research after research to learn all I can concerning the do's and don't' of gastric sleeve and once you have surgery you can never drink from a straw anymore,

I just asked my NUT this same question. She has no problem with straws. She says the air is negligible and a lot of people need the straw to get fluids in at the beginning.

I was told not to it causes air bubbles but also you will drink more with a straw ....more calories intake unless is water!!! Lol....I use to drink with straws and stopped months ago.

My surgeon allowed me to have small sips of Water right after surgery, and I drank out of a straw. The only thing that bothered me was the swelling from the hiatal hernia repair. Other than burping, it didn't bother me much. I would ask your surgeon about using a straw just to be sure it's allowed.

I was told not to drink from a straw. I do it anyway because it's the only way I'm drinking that Water. I hate Water and adding anything to it does not make it any better. It has to be over a lot of crushed ice and I have to use a straw or forget it.

I have not noticed any problems with the straw.

I was told not to drink from a straw. I do it anyway because it's the only way I'm drinking that Water. I hate Water and adding anything to it does not make it any better. It has to be over a lot of crushed ice and I have to use a straw or forget it.

I have not noticed any problems with the straw.

I drink more water with a straw & noticed I started to drink less after I switched a month before surgery. . I'm give it a try without & see

I was told not to at first because I would drink too fast. I'm about 10 days out and I've been using a straw for the past 4 days or so with no issues. I tend to drink more when I use a straw and I've been meeting my Water goals ever since I started using one again.

I was told not to use a straw. However after ending up in emergency due to dehydration I found that using a straw help me get in my fluids. My surgeon adviced me to do what I needed to do and I have never had an issue.