Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill or Not?

Hello All,

I have been a long-time lurker of those boards but am posting for the first time in need of some advice and support.

I have been banded for about 5.5 years now. I have originally lost about 90 pounds from an all-time high of 270 lb and had gone down to 180 lb by the end of the second year before slowly settling for 190 lb for a couple more years after that.

The issue started last year. I hadn’t gotten a fill in over a year and a half at that time and that last fill (only 0.05 cc) helped stabilize my weight at 190 lb and prevent further weight gain. I was starting though in the last few months to feel really tight, pbing on a regular basis because I was eating in a hurry, not chewing enough, etc…, had mild heartburn occasionally, etc… As I was feeling uncomfortable with the constant PBing and the “tight” feeling in my chest and stomach, I had a tiny unfill of 0.05 cc for fear of doing permanent damage to the band and losing it.

This settled all my band and stomach problems right away. 14 months later, I no longer struggle with PBing, heartburn or the uncomfortable tight chest feeling, feel great and all around healthier (I am able to eat more and better). On the negative side, I found myself gaining another 15 pounds over those 14 months, 6 of which I was able to lose through good eating and exercise, putting me at around +- 199 lb.

I am posting because I have been thinking for a couple of months about getting that small fill (0.05 cc) back. This is a big decision for me, not only because of my past issues with that last fill, but also because I live 2,000 km away from where I had my surgery so getting a fill/ unfill costs me a good +$500 to fly back and forth. I have tried for many years to have a WL centre here do my fills/ unfills but they won’t see me because I had my surgery done elsewhere. I am also not sure I want someone other than my regular doctor do my fills/ unfills.

So my question to you all: is should I go for this tiny fill back or not? I know that at my current fill level, I will not have any issues with my band for many years to come as I am on the loser side of things (though still have good restriction but can eat around the band more that I was able to with the tiny fill in). I am struggling with weight gain though and need to be very careful with every bite I eat to prevent any further weight gain. On the other hand, with that tiny fill back, I am confident I can get back to 190 lb and stay there effortlessly, but will have to suffer more eating wise. I also worry that in the longer term, I would do permanent damage to the band and thus either have to have a much larger unfill for things to settle down or revision surgery like I see happen to many long-term bansters. And this is a risk I cannot tolerate at this point as I live far away from my surgeon and have no money for any revision surgery (I was self-pay).

Any words of advice/ support would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Seldom

Hi there

Why do you think being tight will damage your band? I heard from more than a dozen people for them the only way to be successful and to keep the weight off is by being a bit tight, not too tight to cause heartburns and coughs at night but to be tight that forces you to pay attention what to put in your mouth. I cannot wait to get there and if there is something that you know that could cause the band damage please share

I think that it is a real dilemma for many of us bandsters.

Too tight and we lose pounds, but can cause some physical problems.... Too loose, and we struggle with food and satiety issues.

It is a fine line to find the the right fill.... and a good mindset that seems

to work the best.

Even years out, I struggle with the thought of another fill???? Or keep trying my hardest to eat right .

Then I have to factor in appt, distance, and $300 every try I want to change my Fluid amount. Sigh

No easy answer.... But I want to keep my band forever so I err on the side of caution... And keep it under inflated

Best of luck. I hope you keep posting⭐️

Hi there, love hearing from long-term banders! The close fill is such an issue -- I am there myself -- wondering if my last little fill is okay or making me a bit too "tight" -- it is such a nuance game. I am committed to a no slider lifestyle -- this is so I don't find myself taking in calories the wrong way. I try to chew, chew, chew real food. Sounds like you're doing well and you'll figure out your next step. Keep us posted!

Thank you all for your kind replies. It's such a fine balance as many of us long-term bandsters can attest to. I think the common problem that I see in many of the posts of long-term bandsters (and that I myself suffered from) is that the "perfect" fill (if such a thing ever exists) ends up becoming too tight a few years down the line, which leaves us with one of two choices: 1) a small unfill + being extra careful in order not to gain weight back 2) complications that may lead to larger unfills (and thus more risk of weight gain) or revision surgery all together.

I am not the most compliant bandster but not the worst either so this continues to be a struggle for me, 5+ years out. I also suffered from an eating disorder in the past (binge eating) so need to be careful of not overly restricting my food choices as this seems to fuel it.

Thank you all again. I will definitely keep you posted...

It sounds like there is no definite right or wrong answer - we each have our own limitations. I hope it continues to work out for you...

For me, just a local anesthetic in my port...then a Fluid check. ( Add or remove). about a 10 minute visit

Ps. No my insurance does not cover the $300 fee each time... Ouch

Can I ask ,can you see the port ? Sorry if I seem lost just didn't know there was so much more to just getting the band

Yes you can see my port if I pull up my shirt. Highly unlikely

I get a fill about once a year. I get an unfill about once a year. The doc and I are used to experimenting with small fills. Over time they expand for me, so I get a small unfill. Like 6 mos later

I do keep my band under inflated most times. I think it is better for me as I don't get problems.

I am happy to say I will be banded 9 years the beginning of Dec.

Love banded life!

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided against getting the fill back as I do not want the same issues to reoccur at some point and run the risk of either having a bigger unfill or losing the band all together. I cannot afford the cost of a revision surgery (I was a self-pay). The band is at a much healthier place today than a year ago with it on the loser side. I feel healthier, eat healthier. If this means I have to accept myself at 199lb instead of 190 or even my lowest weight ever of 180 lb, so be it. I was 270 lb six years ago. I would have been tipping the scale at +320 lb today if it wasn't for the band.

I have to keep reminding myself that the enemy of good is better.

Edited by seldom78

And let me clarify... You can see the outline and a tiny bit of protrusion of skin.

You cannot see the port.

Mine is center .... About 2 " below my cleavage... Other users have different locations.

Feel free to ask .... Most of us long termers are willing to share our personal ups and downs of banded life????