Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need suggestions for Aspartame free Jello, puddings and Popsicles. I'm pre-op and know I'm going to live on these for a while. Aspartame triggers Migraines for me.

I find aspartame can be a little bitter in some things so used cinnamon, since it's naturally sweet and really good for you ... loved high-protein plain yoghurt with pureed apple and cinnamon early on after my surgery. Still do in fact, but now I chuck in some rolled oats, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds.

@@choosehope - I couldn't eat the SF popsicles or Jello, made me sick. I couldn't even swallow it too strong of a taste like @@dbfn had mentioned. I didn't know about the cinnamon so I may try that in the plain greek yogurt with a banana.

I'm so glad you asked this question and will be checking out all the answers. Thanks to you, OP - and to those who have answered.

@@choosehope

I have the exact same problem and was very worried about what to do when I started this process. I was able to eat yo plait light yogurt as it does not contain aspartame.

I was told by my nut that I should not worry and avoid any foods, drinks with aspartame. For example I was told to eat yogurt with sugar in it or pudding with real sugar in it. Leverage honey or agave nectar instead.

this because you eat so little of it if you follow the food plan.

Yogurts and puddings for me is where I eat sugar. I do use sugar free Syrup but it is very very rare that I even eat anything where I need syrup.

It does become more difficult for you when you think about what to drink. I don't use any sugar free products at all with the exception of yo plait light. I drink Water only. I sometimes will infuse it with real fruit if I get sick of plain water but for me that is not a problem.

This can be done without artificial sweeteners of any kind.

Prior to having bariatric surgery I suffered from Migraines 5 out of 7 days per week. I use Dihydroergotamine rescue shots to relieve them when I get them which makes them go away within the first hour.

Now I probably get them 2 or 3 times a month if that! The high Protein low carb diet has really helped me with headaches.

I used to get them so bad that I developed arthritis in my jaw from clenching due to the pain. My neurologist told me this is common for people who suffer long term. I am 52. My son and 11 year old granddaughter get them as well. It is probably the worst pain and is intolerable and trust me, I have had 5 spinal surgeries. I know pain!

I hope that WLS helps you with your migraines as well. I was not expecting it to and was quite surprised!

Good luck!

@@Djmohr What did you do about Protein shakes? Or Popsicles and pudding during liquid/soft phase? Did you add honey that early in the process? Did it cause dumping?

Great news about your migraines! Mine have become intractable (24/7). It would be so great if some Migraine relief was a byproduct of the bypass!!

Something I posted on another similar topic... "For my 2 week pre and post op I made my own Popsicles using Vitamin Water zero. I also made my own Jello using Kool Aid packets and Stevia. Google Kool aid jello and then just substitute stevia for however much sugar the recipe calls for. I also made my own pudding using Greek yogurt (check what sweeteners in ingredients) and unsweetened cocoa powder. It's more work than just buying everything pre made but it was worth it for me."

I have the same problem but I found popsicles at Aldi that are made with Splenda instead. They taste pretty good and are only 14 calories I believe.

Hunt's sugar-free snack Packs (they make Jello and pudding) don't have aspartame. They are on the shelf with the jello and pudding mixes, not in the refrigerated section. Luigi's sugar free Italian Ice is made with Splenda.

I don't eat artificial sweeteners so during the liquid phase for me I lived on my chocolate Protein powder which has stevia, Soups, yogurt, v8 juice, Water and a couple days of gatorade when i wasn't able to get enough calories. It was a rough couple of weeks especially the 2nd week but once i got my routine down it wasn't bad. A variety of Soups helped.

During the liquid phase I used pre made shakes by premier Protein. I did not have any Popsicles what so ever and i ate regular Yoplait yogurt which was recommended by my nut. Because you eat so little of it at any one time the sugar did not bother me at all nor did the fat. I cannot tolerate any sugar substitutes so I just tried to choose things without sugar. I lived on homemade chicken broth, 1percent cottage cheese, yogurt and creamed Soups through the liquid phase and then ended up living on it through the puréed stage as well. I did not do well with puréed meats and I don't eat Beans. If you do that is a very good source of Protein.< /p>

I could not and still cannot tolerate eggs after trying them puréed. That is the only thing that made me vomit. I am still bummed about that because I used to love eggs. Every few weeks I will try eggs again to see if I can handle it but they weigh very heavy in my pouch and make me uncomfortable.

Also, in the first few months after I even found myself lactose intolerant from the sugar in milk. That finally did go away. I also did not even like the taste of anything sweet or greasy. I ended up buying Kozy Shack chocolate pudding at about 4 months because it is not overly sweet. Prior to that I did not even touch pudding. That is about the only sweet thing I actually eat at this point and I do eat it fairly often.

I never had full on dumping syndrome. I am not sure why but I am very happy about it.

I am down 114lbs in 10 months with 31 to go until goal.

Thank you for all the great info!!!

Zonetracy, which Protein powder has Splenda? TIA

@@choosehope i buy the chocolate one here - http://healthyplanetnutrition.com/ - 100% natural and actually sweetened with Stevia, not Splenda. When I first tried it i found it at Whole Foods in Oregon but they stopped carrying it so now i order it online. I have to say I'm really picky about Protein drinks and this is the best tasting one out there. The PA at my surgery center said to find a Protein Drink you like because you will be drinking it a lot so i tried a bunch before my surgery. Good luck finding one you like. :)

I found Splenda sweeten Jello online recently. I bookmarked it for later, but since I'm on my phone I won't remember that. I just typed in Splenda Gelatin into google and it popped right up. Amazon also sells some Splenda sweetened pudding by the name of loving spoonfuls I believe. I looked it up awhile back because I can't have aspartame because it causes severe Migraines.< /p>