Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Newbie here from Calgary AB, Canada. I have been following this site since before Christmas. I purchased the big gastric sleeve book & the queen of crops's book. I finally decided on a sleeve due to all the positive results, but....it will take me a year to get it done in Red Deer, on Ab Health. Longer in Calgary. I checked for docs in Canada & found one thru smart shape but it's 18,000 not including taxes, airfare (cheaper to go to the U.S. Instead of Toronto), hotel & nurse (I need a caregiver for over 48 hours). That's a LOT of $.

I don't want to go to Mexico because of allergies to certain meds, one being morphine. Since I have been reading that the nurses don't speak very good English, I would hate to flatline, as has happened to me previously on another operation. They operated using synthetic morphine but the nurses put it in my I.v. For pain. Duh....

So...help help help please. Are there any good surgeons someone can recommend, not too far from Canada & NOT from Mexico? I would really appreciate some help asap as I would like to get the sleeve. Thanks so much!!

There are definitely cheaper programs in the U.S., though most of them are going to be in the southern half of the country. Check out Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas, Dr. Michael Wood in Michigan, Dr. Borland in Louisiana, Dr. Shillingford in Florida -- those are names I have seen a lot from patients doing cash pay in the U.S. When you are discussing prices, make sure it is all-inclusive -- hospital fees, anesthesiologist, etc. Good luck!

This is the website for the Dr in Las Vegas she recommended. http://blossombariatrics.com/

If my insurance didn't cover my surgery and I had to cash pay, this is the place I would have gone. They have tons of information and their staff is very educated on nutrition.

I'm scheduled with Dr. Shillingford on 8/31.. 10k all inclusive, out of Boca Raton Florida. I'm traveling from Minnesota for the procedure.

Hello! I highly recommend Dr. Shillingford in Boca Raton, FL. Excellent doctor. I was sleeved June 22nd 2015 by him. $10,500 all inclusive. Hope this helps. ????

Edited by my.vsg

$13750 dr michel gagner in montreal

Atlanta Bariatric Center at Emory Johns Creek is $11,000 for surgery and anesthesia.

I know it's not exactly close to Calgary, but Atlanta is a major airline hub, so flying to Atlanta is pretty easy and there are good deals out there.

Edited by Mary Ann H

Hi more than this

I'm from Edmonton and looking at a 5 year wait if I go through insurance. I've decided to see Dr. Umbach at blossom bariatrics, just waiting on my surgery date. Everyone I've spoke to is super helpful and friendly, and the cost isn't too bad either.

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your help! I decided to look at Montreal, Dr Gagner for 12,750 + 250 for 1st consult. I am going to go with him, unless something out of the ordinary happens. Thanks Jenn_mtl!! jennamacd, why do you have a 5 year wait? Perhaps if you don't want to go self pay (or can't afford) why don't you try Red Deer? It's a shorter wait. You are as far away as I am, 1.5 hours, are you not?

I am so looking forward to this!! I hope I don't have any problems with this happening!!

Hey more than this

My doctor told me that the wait for the weight wise clinic here in Edmonton can be up to 5 years. I just don't want to have to wait that long, and I'm okay with paying to get it done too

Ouch....so maybe give Dr Gagner a call. Flights are finally cheaper now than they used to be. http://cliniquemichelgagner.com/en/

Let me know what you decide. I have been conversing with Xavier there. Very kind & patient with all my questions. This is so ridiculous. I always thought Alberta was an "advanced" province but I am learning we are so very behind everything & everybody.

I had my surgery with Dr. Gagner on July 30, everything went well. I'd seriously give him a chance if your willing to travel.

Hi Jen. Yes thanks. I have been in contact with them & had my consult with Dr Gagner on Friday. I will have to have the tests including a sleep apnea. I am large breasted & cannot lay on my stomach. Breasts are in my throat & I can't breathe, which will make it impossible to operate. Unless they can do a greys anatomy thing & operate with me standing up, lol. I hope that I can get into the sleep clinic here, quickly. I also have to travel to Banff to get the gastrointestinal (?) & colonoscopy, although they said I can get it in Montreal. I am going in to see my doc this Wed, but she is against any kind of wls. But I have decided I am going to do it. Dr Gagner & his staff have been terrific so far. Hopefully everything will fall into place & I can be out there mid October. Thanks so much for letting me know about this doc! Just 1 question...he had said he would be cutting off 75% of my stomach but everything I read say they cut off 85%. Would anyone know why that is & if it will make a difference. According to the lap band sites, it seems that if they don't make it snug, they don't have the results they should be getting. Will it matter for a sleeve being 10% larger? Thanks again everyone!!!

I think the % is an estimate, it depends on your actual stomach size and shape. There is a lot of contradicting info out there.