Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am hearing some people say they had the band removed then went back for the sleeve. Someone else said their dr. Did it all in one surgery. Why do you need to wait after removing band? I'm confused...

Hey unbroken 40, some doctors wait so that your stomach can heal. My doctor did it all in one surgery , but he did have issues with getting my stomach to cooperate. My surgeon was to also remove my gallbladder, but opted not to after the issue with stomach. I was glad that he was able to do it all in one surgery. Talk with your surgeon and others.

Thanks for the info. How did you do after the surgery? Did you lose quickly?

So my doctor only does them in 2 parts for the following reasons: 1) you are twice as likely to get a leak in a one step procedure (although risk is still low) and 2) you are more likely to get a larger sleeve with a pouch where the band is (although you might still get one even with 2-step procedure). Anyway I had mine in 2 steps and was not happy to have 2 surgeries but in retrospect it was nice to recover from the band removal before getting the sleeve. Each were difficult for their own separate reasons but I think that the band removal was more painful than the sleeve.

I did well, was out from work for 4 weeks. I did have a problem with whey Protein, I could only tolerate soy protein. I. Was able to drink whey protein after my band surgery and before my sleeve. Starting at about 285lbs before the band in 2009, I can down to185lbs at the end of summer 2012. I had bilateral knee re

Sorry typing on tablet. I had bilateral knee replacement that summer. I gain back up to 240lb by the time of my revision last summer. My. Band had caused major problems with my esophagus, so I didn't have to wait to get removed. I am now fluctuating between 195lbs and 200lbs and my goal weight is 170lb. Ideal weight 150lb. Weight loss has been very slow, but I work 2nd shift and don't workout as often as I need to. Good luck

So my doctor only does them in 2 parts for the following reasons: 1) you are twice as likely to get a leak in a one step procedure (although risk is still low) and 2) you are more likely to get a larger sleeve with a pouch where the band is (although you might still get one even with 2-step procedure). Anyway I had mine in 2 steps and was not happy to have 2 surgeries but in retrospect it was nice to recover from the band removal before getting the sleeve. Each were difficult for their own separate reasons but I think that the band removal was more painful than the sleeve.

My revision was one in 2 surgeries too. That's the only way my doctor will do it now. He used to do it in one surgery, but he said the chances of a leak are a lot higher (but like you said, still low) with one surgery. I had my band out in March but because of some other things that came up am just having sleeve surgery tomorrow. I hope that by waiting 5 months my stomach will be well healed and that I'll get a nice tight little sleeve. :)

I am having my Band out on wednesday and then have to wait 2-3 months to do conversion. good news is that I would have to wait anyway as my insurance makes you do the 4month diet. so first weigh in was 7/13 and last one will be 10/13 two months after band removal. I was bummed too but want a tighter pouch and less leaks!

Had my revision in one surgery and it was an easier recovery than from the Lap band. Have lost 33 pounds in 6 weeks. Been great so far !

Edited by titan05

I know...not too happy about anesthesia 2 times.

With all of the issues with the band ,The insurance companies have the nerve of requiring a 34 mo diet.

3-4 month diet