Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Know what you ask? Know that you were ready to make a life altering decision to get wls. What did it? Was it how you felt about you're self? Was it your health? Maybe your dr? To look better? Feel better? Where are you at in your journey?

All of the above :)

In my late 40's, and at heaviest was put on high blood pressure medication and Metformin for diabetes. That was pretty much the last straw. I had a pretty good knowledge of bariatric surgery already, because my husband had a Gastric bypass 8 years earlier and has done really well. I wanted the sleeve because I liked the idea of not having a malabsorbtion issue.

I made the leap August 22 of last year, and haven't looked back. Almost 80 pounds lost, and 6 pounds to goal. So happy I did it! Hasn't been easy sometimes, but so worth it.

I was in my 50's and *extremely* lucky I hadn't developed any co-morbidities. I knew they were just around the corner if I didn't get the weight off once and for all. I'd tried so many times on my own and would manage to lose 30-50 lbs before hitting a brick wall - and then it'd all come back on. I think what convinced me, though, was looking at a PowerPoint slide of all the benefits of WLS when I was at one of the numerous orientation sessions I'd attended (I'd been thinking about surgery for probably five years and had been to several such sessions). Just looking at those statistics - that diabetes was <x>% resolved, high blood pressure was <x>% resolved, etc (there were several listed) made something click. I *knew* this is what I had to do....

bypass. I'd had some off-and-on issues with indigestion and didn't want to develop full-blown GERD, which often (but not always...) happens with the sleeve. Otherwise, I would have been happy having either one.

Was bypass awful? I don't know why by its so scary to me. I started with wanting the lap and then knew it wasn't for me. My dr seems to think bypass. I was thinking sleeve. I don't know why bypass terrifies me. I want wls. I really do. I guess I don't know tons about it. Idk.

I'd just turned 53 and every part of my body hurt. I hurt walking, sitting, standing, you name it, and forget any kind of physical activity. Sedentary was my sole modus operandi. I had been newly diagnosed as pre diabetic and was shocked when I stepped on the doctor's scale to see an all time high of 248 lbs at only 5'2". I swore then and there that I was not going to reach 250 lbs mark.

WLS had been in the back of my mind for years, but after learning of this new (to me) sleeve procedure I was all in. Started the process rolling and will be having surgery on the 29th. My resolve never wavered, only my choice of procedures. I will be getting the bypass instead, due mainly to the GERD issues mentioned above, got my pre op weight down to 217 and I couldn't be happier!

Like I said, I know my husband did well with the bypass and had zero problems. He also lost weight pretty rapidly. About 120 pounds in a little over a year. He has kept most of it off for 8 years now.

If you suffer from severe reflux, I would go with the bypass. If you want a little more rapid weight loss? Some sleevers will disagree with me, but I think weight loss is faster with the bypass. I often wonder if mine would have been faster if I'd have gone with the bypass (my husband seems to think so) but as I've jokingly said before, I have the metabolism of a koala bear, lol.

My doctor told me I was a walking time bomb and it scared me. I knew my health was getting worse because of co-morbidities (High BP, High Cholesterol, Type II Diabetes) but when she said those words to me, I knew I had to make a change. I can happily say that all of them are now gone and I only take Nexium and my Vitamins. Life is much better now! :)

I was sleeved in November 2014. I'm 5'6" and I set my goal at 150. I am at 156 and have been for about 4 weeks now. I have been running and exercising more too. My body has changed quite a bit in the past month but the scale is the same. I think it is quite happy here at this weight! But PLEASE remember, everyone is different and everyone loses at different rates. Some are super fast losers and some are slower. Keep the big picture in mind.....you will lose the weight you need to lose at your own pace....stalls and all :) I wish you the best on your journey!

Well, at my most successful weight loss in my 40's I got down to 129lbs. It didn't last long, but I felt great. So 130 is my first goal, which would be a 87lbs loss. And if I can get down to 120lbs, which would be my ultimate goal, that would be a 97lbs loss.

But as I'm older, and my metabolism is slower, I'm going to reserve the final judgement based on how I "feel" as opposed to a specific number on the scale.

I only looked at the Lap band, I was fine with the maintenance and fills, I liked the fact that I would be seeing my surgeon regularly the 1st year. Having my insides rerouted wasn't for me, so I didn't even look at anything else. Within 7 months I had lost my first 50 lbs, said "goodbye" to sleep apnea and digestive problems, and said "hello" to the 1st time at 175 lbs in 17 yrs ! Im nearly at goal, and look and feel 100 % better than I have in years . Happy and healthy, no regrets !!