Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s hard to believe it, but July 18 marks my 12-year Surgiversary! 12 years ago, I weighed 255 lbs (at a height of 5’7”). That was at age 25, after years of being overweight and yo-yo dieting. I got the lap-band on July 18, 2003, under the skillful hand of Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding in New York, and the rest, as they say, is history. I have my life back and it’s better than ever.

I feel like the luckiest man in the world. I have a wonderful family with the best children ever, and I have the health and energy to be able to keep up with them and be a real part of their lives. I am also thrilled every day to be able to advocate for weight loss surgery patients through BariatricPal, working with major obesity, WLS, and medical organizations, and I am so grateful for the lap-band and getting my life back.

I also want to thank BariatricPal members and supporters. When I founded the boards right after my surgery in 2003, there wasn’t much other online support out there. The discussion forums helped me through some tough times, and I am so glad it is able to help others as they approach surgery, recover from it, lose weight, and maintain their loss.

Congrats on the work it took to get to goal. And STAY there.lots of us follow you. ( let us not get cult-like!) and look to you for insight on our many year journey.

Thanks for doing your job well!

Here is to 12 more years( is there anyone at 15+ years? ). Secretly hoping there is...

Congrats Alex! You are the reason why so many of us found the courage to seek out surgery for ourselves. And you continue to be an outstanding role model and example of healthy living. Thank you for that and for this incredible forum! You rock!

Edited by The Candidate

That is awesome Alex! Thank you for providing a safe place for us to come to educate ourselves, praise fellow members, and vent when needed. Congratulations on your many successes!!!

Happy bandiversary, and many many more.

Here's to your health, Alex, and a very happy anniversary! I'm so glad for this site and for all you do to help people inform themselves. Thank you!

Congratulations! 12 years is awesome!

Congrats Alex. You have been very inspiring to me personally and have done something very important for thousands of people out there struggling and succeeding.

You. Are. The. Best.

Congratulations! :-)

Thank you for all the congratulations and well wishes!

How cool you posted a video could have been a little longer but that's okay , also WOW 12 yrs, CONGRATS ON THAT & Getting your life back & helping with OURS , by starting the site & for us having somewhere to get support since some of us don't have it Thank You

Happy bandiversary and thanks for founding this website. It has truly been a blessing.

Thank you! This forum was very helpful post surgery, I wish I had found you in the 2 years it took me to make my decision! I enjoy coming here and helping other people know that there is light at the end of the tunnel! Great job!

Congratulations, Alex, and thank you so much for this forum. You have undoubtedly touched and improved the lives of so many, many thousands of people throughout the years with the information and community provided through this site. Thank you again!