Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op- which should I choose ?

I have severe heartburn and after researching I don't know if I should have sleeve or bypass? I really hate being uncomfortable in my body and want to choose the best one time surgery. I would hate to have the sleeve only to have to convert to the bypass'

Your genuine thought would help!

I'm having the same hard time choosing as well... I think I'm probably going with RNY

thanks for your honest reply! I'm kinda leaning towards RNY too! My surgeon said he considers RNY mostly for those who are diabetic. Currently I have no comorbities but it's scary because the sleeve is such a new procedure and if complications happen I don't want to be the experiment!

My surgeon told me that actually the sleeve isn't all that new. He said that with really, really obese people who were having bypass surgery years ago that they would do a sleeve first so they could lose some weight and then go back in and do the bypass. And they were finding that people lost weight with just the sleeve procedure and were able to do well with that so they started offering just the sleeve procedure by itself.

However, if you have GERD or severe heartburn, many people have found that the sleeve makes it worse. I got rid of my GERD with a hernia surgery but many on here have talked about the heartburn with the sleeve.

I went in wanting sleeve but have since changed my mind and will be having bypass, primarily, but not entirely, due to the possible GERD issues.

Will the pre-op GI with Upper Endoscopy and H Pylori biopsy detect if I have GERD issues now? I mean I have to have tums at all times and I don't want it to get worse after VSG (I don't think I could handle it's horrible now)!

My surgeon told me that actually the sleeve isn't all that new. He said that with really, really obese people who were having bypass surgery years ago that they would do a sleeve first so they could lose some weight and then go back in and do the bypass. And they were finding that people lost weight with just the sleeve procedure and were able to do well with that so they started offering just the sleeve procedure by itself.

However, if you have GERD or severe heartburn, many people have found that the sleeve makes it worse. I got rid of my GERD with a hernia surgery but many on here have talked about the heartburn with the sleeve.

your are right! The more researching I'm doing the sleeve isn't that new.

@@Running2theSleeve not sure if you were asking me that question. But sorry, I don't know.

I wasn't required to do those tests. You'd need to ask your doctor/surgeon. I haven't been diagnosed officially with GERD, but I do get heartburn now, and I don't want chance it being made worse, or having to have a revision later. Plus my father suffered terribly with it, and I just don't want to chance going down road.

Good luck!

@TheCandidate .. Sorry but yes I was directing the response to you ,, I see I wasn't clear. I meet with my surgeon again in 2 weeks and you are correct def a question for him!

Thank you for your explanation of your reasonings. You just don't know how it helps me knowing I have similar issues.

Thanks!! You really give good responses and clarity

I have 5-6 friends who have had the sleeve, and that is primarily why I chose it. One friend said, you are only disrupting one organ, your stomach. Not the stomach and intestine. That was my selling point! I think it depends on your dr. But the sleeve has been very successful for over 5 years!

I had a barium swallow and EDG which indicated I had GERD and I hiatal hernia. I am almost 3 years post op with sleeve and converting to RNY. I feel bad most of the time and hoping the RNY will get rid of GERD along with the fix of the hernia. I did not have GERD presleeve and no comorbs either. I was the perfect sleeve candidate. There is no way for them to know if it is something u will develop on down the road...

Have bypass!!!!!!!!!!!