Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long time since I've been on but I'll update y'all and ask a question!

Hey all, I was actively on here when I first began the surgery process looking for surgeons, tips, tricks, anything I could find to prepare for surgery. After surgery, my new life got the best of me and I became a flake on the forums. So here's a brief update: I was 23 years old and a year out of college when I had the gastric sleeve. My company's insurance didn't cover bariatric surgery so I was a cash pay. I looked at going to Mexico for the cost but with the support of my girlfriend and family I decided to have surgery in the states and pay a little extra. I had surgery with Dr. Folahan Ayoola in Denton, TX on December 6, 2013 and it truly was life changing. At the time of surgery, I was 340lbs and had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea. I am a little over a year and a half out and I am happy to say I am down to 220lbs and I don't suffer from any of the comorbidities to date. I am much more active, eating healthy, and have completely changed my lifestyle for the better. This surgery truly changed my life and, honestly, I would do it every year if I had to but fortunately we don't. I followed all the post-op guidelines and recommendations pretty closely and did extremely well with recovery. Since I was a cash patient I didn't have much follow up or contact with Dr. Ayoola after I was discharged from the hospital. No big deal to me but some people might want their doctor to follow p and make sure everything was okay. I did follow up with my PCP every three months for the first year and now it's just down to twice a year. I admittedly don't take the Multivitamins or Calcium pills anymore, I drink beer quite frequently, and I still indulge in a good desert quite often. Granted, it's not near the frequency or volume they use to be but I still do the things I enjoy in life. I will admit I am much more conscious of what I put in my body and since I've began exercising I know what I have to do to work it off. I did not have a weight goal I wanted to be at going in to surgery, I just wanted to be medication free, which I am. However, now that I have reached 220 and have 20% body fat my next goal is to get around 205-215lbs and be between 12-15% body fat. I don't know how long it will take me, but I don't expect it to happen in a month and I know it will take a lot more work than what I've been putting in. I have attached some pictures below to somewhat show my journey. They are all taken about 3 months apart and I've also included a picture in just my skivvies because I was really keeping track of body changes at some time and have recently stopped but this is my most recent one. Feel free to ask any questions or post any comments you have. I am not sure if I can post it in here because, admittedly, I didn't read through all the rules to refresh myself but I have quite a few clothes I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. It is mainly Polo Ralph Lauren and I have short sleeve polos, long sleeve button downs, sweaters, and jackets. The sizes range from XXL, 2XLT, 2XLB, and 3XL. If you all are interested please message me as well and I will send you pictures and prices. Hope everyone has an awesome day!

post-183819-0-79126300-1436981391_thumb.png

post-183819-0-17512100-1436981397_thumb.jpg

post-183819-0-56666600-1436981412_thumb.jpg

post-183819-0-71722300-1436981421_thumb.jpg

post-183819-0-06677800-1436981430_thumb.jpg

post-183819-0-51488300-1436981457_thumb.jpg

post-183819-0-08951600-1436981549_thumb.jpg

Way to go, great before and after. I have been giving the fat clothes away on Craigslist, from 3xl to 2 xl.

Got to be honest, my reaction to your post is that when the 18 months honeymoon is over, and your body clicks into normal weight gain, you are one who, according to my surgeon and my nutritionists, and my daughter's father in law (bariatric surgeon) is at very high risk of gaining your weight back. The honeymoon of easy weight loss is when we cement our better food habits. Beer, lots of Desserts, no vitamins/calcium (you are young enough you might get away with that but it may effect your bone strength in your 40's) means that you have not changed enough habits to maintain post honeymoon.

No criticism intended, I have 100 pounds to go, but every week my core food habits are better, I am Never going to be fat again.

John, thanks for the reply and I will certainly try craigslist and hope to have the luck you've had with it!

As for the discontinuation of the Multivitamin and Calcium this was discussed with my doctor because after multiple labs many of my levels were coming back abnormally high due to receiving the appropriate Vitamins and nutrients through my new eating habits and diet. My PCP informed me that having excess of certain Vitamins and nutrients can severely damage some organs and since I spent all this money to get healthy I'd rather not put myself at an unnecessary risk.

I hadn't heard before that I am the highest risk for putting my weight back on before but I thank you for sharing that. I had been told by multiple surgeons that my demographic was the ideal bariatric candidate because I was young and my body would rebound better and it would be easier for me to live a more active lifestyle than older candidates, but maybe they were just blowin smoke up my @$&! to get my money. RegardlessI I'm sure you know, with a bariatric surgeon in your family, weight loss surgery is just a tool and not the fix. It's something you have to constantly work on to keep the weight off. As I mentioned in the original post, I now know everything I put in my body and what it takes to work everything off, so these two treats are what I enjoy.

I should have been clear on my intentions for adding this into the original post but it wasn't to brag or throw up red flags that I'm going to gain all my weight back. It was for the new person interested in surgery and had reservations because the "very strict" post op diets and rules everyone posts that are a bit intimidating. It would have eased my mind so much if someone would have said to me that I can still have some indulgences as long as I understand how it affects my progress and what the steps are to keep these choices from being detrimental to the cause.

With that being said I hope you, and everyone reading this, still find joy in eating certain things that might not be part of your post-op diet because whoever said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" was a damned liar! ????

Yes, whoever says that has never had my Aunt Kate's berry pie....

Great progress and a great decision to address this while you are young.

Keep posting your adventures as it's inspiring to those of us in the pre-op limbo.