Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

23 Days Out -- and Sudden Dehydration?

Hi all,

I've been doing well for over 3 weeks post-vsg surgery -- following orders -- and slowly escalating my diet (now in the puree/soft foods stage). I try to keep up on fluids, and generally don't have trouble drinking.

This afternoon, while at home alone, I suddenly felt really tired. I didn't "have a reason" other than not sleeping very well for the past few nights. Granted, it's hot here, but I've been inside all day. I did walk 30 mins on the treadmill -- pretty slowly.

I laid down for about 45 mins and feel somewhat better, but am still tired. I just had a brainstorm that I might be having symptoms of dehydration. I'm not nauseous, and I've been able to eat and drink. The past few days, though, I've had a very minor headache, have been less hungry, and probably haven't had as many fluids as I should. Stupidly, I had hot coffee early last evening and had my first bout of acid reflux overnight. My esophagus has hurt a little since then. (I do take omeprazole.)

My heart hasn't been racing, but I have "noticed" it beating a bit faster than usual, if that makes any sense at all.

Earlier today I probably drank about 20 ounces; now I've just had a 6-oz Protein Shake and a popsicle, and will push fluids for the rest of today rather than worrying about eating "real food." Does that seem like a plan for avoiding dehydration, or should I be more worried/proactive?

Thanks!

I became severely dehydrated from diarrhea almost 2 months postop. I had to get IV fluids 3 different times. The worst one was when I barely made it to urgent care without passing out. Resting HR was over 100 and BP was 89 over 50. I had to beg them not to admit me to the hospital after it took them 4 tries to get in a catheter. 4 liters later I finally peed and then went home and sipped on pedialyte the rest of the night. I had always gotten 64oz+ of fluids every day since surgery but just couldn't keep up with the extra losses from the diarrhea. And it took less than 24 hours to go from fine to really bad.

So yes, dehydration can cause all those symptoms you are describing and can sneak up on you. Loading up on extra fluids certainly won't hurt anything. The 26oz you've had is less than 1/2 of what you should be getting every day. And try to get in pedialyte, Gatorade or other sports drink to make sure your electrolytes are at a decent level, too.

Edited by Kindle

Thanks Kindle -- I've had another 16 ounces since then, and I'll keep working on it. I will definitely get Gatorade and pedialyte. I'm finding that Crystal Light is (maybe?) adding to my acid problem.

I'm really sorry to hear about your diarrhea/dehydration...that sounds like an absolute nightmare! I trust and hope that all is well with you now. :)

Thanks Kindle -- I've had another 16 ounces since then, and I'll keep working on it. I will definitely get Gatorade and pedialyte. I'm finding that Crystal Light is (maybe?) adding to my acid problem.

I'm really sorry to hear about your diarrhea/dehydration...that sounds like an absolute nightmare! I trust and hope that all is well with you now. :)

Yes, that all happened over a year ago. Turns out I had a C. diff infection from antibiotics taken for a dental procedure. NOT fun at the time and Ended up getting a fecal transplant to cure, but I've been AOK ever since!

As for the Crystal Light, I couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners for about 4 months postop..... caused severe pain. So that's why I was drinking diluted regular sports drinks and pedialyte. I also drank a LOT of Decaf herbal teas....camomille was especially soothing to my tummy at bedtime. Hope you feel better soon!