Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in Chicago now, but I lived in Portsmouth in the mid 1980's. We lived in a large (something like 22 buildings) condo complex called The Cedars of Portsmouth. It was across and just south of Water Country Water Park. My memories of Portsmouth include living on the flight line of Pease Air Base. The planes would come in over the condo so close that you could count the rivets and wave to the pilot!

I loved walking downtown and around strawberry Banke, to explore the historic colonial buildings. We went to Maine a couple of times to the outlets and to Long Sands Beach. It was on one of those trips that I had my first lobster roll on one of those grilled flat-sided hot dog Buns, which are not available in the midwest at all. If they are, I would like to know where.

There were a few times that I saw submarines coming up the Piscataqua River to the Navy Yard. It took me two years to learn how to pronounce Pis cat a kwha. Wentworth by the Sea was abandoned at the time, and we were able to wander aimlessly around the property.

The scenic route along the coast is so breathtaking!!!! On one trip to Rye, not too many days after a nor'easter, the stone house in the marsh was completely incased in ice, like a stone igloo. I cleaned house for a couple in Rye. Their last name was Gaffney. He was an American businessman who met her when he was in Spain. Her name was Mercedes and was apparently a Spanish princess. She did not speak English, so my high school Spanish definitely came in handy.

I had a church friend who lived close to the Hampton Beach tourist trap, but the ocean view was lovely. I remember that about six o'clock every evening, the fog would roll in over the coast and past our condo complex, and it smelled like raw fish.

The first time I went to the supermarket after moving in, I could not find soda pop to save my life. I finally gave up and had to ask. The clerk said, Oh, you mean tonic. It took me a while to get used to calling soda and sub sandwiches "tonic and grinders".

We went to Boston one time to get on one of those whale watching tours. We went about 25 miles out into the ocean and up towards Maine. I was so humbled by the magnificence of the breeching whales and the school of porpoises swimming along with them.

When we first moved there from Pittsburgh, I had no idea that New Hampshire had 17 miles of coastline or mountains. Of course we went to Mount Washington to see the world from the windiest place on earth. And no, it is not Chicago.

The New Hampshire coast is so beautiful and historical. If I went back, I could find something to do every day for at least a month.

Welcome to Bariatric Pal. I wish you good luck and good health.

I'm from Hampstead. Had RNY gastric bypass on 12/15/14 at CMC. Down 125 lbs with another 100 lbs I'd like to lose to reach my own goal wgt.

@@KensingtonWalk

Call Catholic Medical Center or Dartmouth, I'm pretty sure they have monthly support group meetings all over the state. I know they have them in Manchester.

I am on the NH Seacoast.

CMC has like six centers across the state, call them at (603)663-7377 and ask where the closest support group to you is located.

Yes, last Wednesday of every month. 5-6 for 1 year and under, then, 6:15-7:00 1 year +

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started this journey when I lived in Dover, NH. During the process I bought a house in Springvale, ME. I had my surgery at Portsmouth Hospital. I think of myself as living on the NH seacoast...although I obviously do not. :-)

I went to a couple meetings, but I don't drive (Native New Yorker) so I rely on my sister to drive me home. In the end for the short meeting the effort outweighed (no pun intended) the benefit.