Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you guys think I'm doing wrong?

OK so I had my surgery January 12th, 2015. I'm thrilled I've lost the weight I have but I was a lil bit more on the heavier side them a lot of people I have seen on here and less then some others and they are losing quite steady. I work out 5 days a week 45 mins cardio and 30 mins strength training with my trainer. I gave up fast food and 90% of carbs. I did not say I was going to give everything up for the rest of my life so I'm eating them. Everything is ok in moderation correct, My daily caloric intake 800-1000. Just want some pointers since most of you have lost 100 lbs in 6 months or less. What are you doing that I'm not so I can feel that this is worth the really hard work I'm putting into everything. I'm one of those sick ppl who eat when I'm down and quit when I don't lose. Yes I know I have done pretty well and everything I just want that lil bit more. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Veronica,

You weigh 81 pounds less than you did 6 months ago. There's every likelihood that you'll keep that off for the rest of your life, plus more.

You work out 5 days a week.

From where I sit, the only thing you could possibly be "doing wrong" is to frame this incredible success as a failure.

{{Hugs}}

You want to know what you're doing wrong?

Comparing yourself to others.

You've lost 81 pounds in 6 months. That is incredible. You should be so proud of yourself! I suggest you just keep doing what you're doing, except try to up your calories to a consistent 1000 if you can. With how much you work out, you need those calories. I upped mine at 6 months and it really helped give me more consistent weight loss, meaning I wasn't stalling constantly anymore and losing 5-7lbs a month (which is average weight loss, by the way).

Sounds like you're keeping your carbs down, I don't really know what you mean by "I didn't say I was going to give up everything for the rest of my life, so I'm eating them"...I would try to stay completely away from carbs coming from anything white until you've reached 75% of your weight loss. Just get carbs from veggies and dairy right now. If you want to speed up your weight loss, (although you're doing just great) that will help. There's plenty of time to eat carby stuff when you're close to and at maintenance.

Hope that helps! Really though, you're doing just fine ;)

Well you guys are probably all right. I have been eating some useless carbs. I should cut back on those for the next week and see if that is my downfall! You guys are so helpful THANKS!

All good advice and I would add that I honestly don't believe MOST people here lost 100lbs in 6 months. Sure some did. But I lost 135 in 18 months and my doctor said that was super fast so take that with a grain of salt. 80lbs in 6 months is amazing!

I lost 145 pounds in 14 months. I think at 6 months I had lost around 80. Incidentally, my starting weight was close to yours. I think expecting to lose 100 pounds in 6 months is an unrealistic expectation. I think if we have realistic expectations it will cause us a lot less aggravation. :)

You mentioned your calories but not your Protein. What is your daily protein goal? Are you getting in at least that much protein every day? What about your Water? Are you getting at least 64 oz. every day? If you are not happy with where you are now and are not doing those two things then those would be the first two areas I would address.

Yea my Protein intake is around 70-80g a day I think it would be a lil bit more but unfortunately I can't process much meat anymore so I have to get it where I can. My Nut doesn't want me to just have shakes but more solid Proteins and if I choose to have to many veggies and legumes ect that provide me with more then I'm in-taking to many carbs. So I get what I can from canned chicken and tuna and some fish and eggs. That's about all I can eat otherwise I tend to just throw it up. I have tried eating it slower, in smaller quantities not much has worked.

Hi there Veronica, I have just read your post. If your working out with that intensity you must look at increasing your calorie intake to another 200, working out to that level will get your body to stall, also you are building muscle mass which will also get the scales to stall or. slow down your weight lost. So increase your calories to healthy stuff and make sure you drink more Water and see what happens in the next 3 weeks.

Yea maybe I will see if I can increase my calories!

I to. Had my surgery in January and have not lost as much as most I exercise everyday an eat like you said am very disappointed too. Don't know what I'm doing wrong ????

Don't feel bad. I thought maybe it is my age. I'm 66. Idk would like to talk to you off line if possible where are you from. ?

Colorado. Actually moving to this state is what made me decide to finally get the weight off. Everyone here is so outdoorsy and even though that has not changed with me and I still don't like the hiking and biking I just don't like the looks of disgust i get when I'm heavy.

Carbs are not the enemy. Processed carbs are. In fact good carbs can fuel your workouts. The bad carbs are highly processed and refined things. Typically the so called white carbs: breads, pastas, etc... Carbs from fruit, veg, legumes are a good thing. My carbs are almost always high and I have been losing steadily.I am vegetarian and most of my Protein is from plant based sources. Also fruit and veg will help you poop. Good bowel movements also aid in weight loss.

There is no rush to lose. In fact a slower weight loss gives your skin a bit more time to recover and may decrease the amount of sagging skin you end up with. Your calories might be a bit high. I just started eating 800 -1000 at 10mths out. Prior to that I kept them n the 850 range.

I am 51 and post menopausal.

I am scheduled for Jan 26th for surgery and although I do want to lose about 100 pounds, I am actually hoping to do it in a slower more controlled fashion. I am 62 and have been heavy for a long time, so I know my skin elasticity is going to suck. I am hoping that losing more slowly will give my skin a chance to shrink better.

You have done great and I would just enjoy the benefits and not worry about others.