Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mammograms - where a cup is turned into a saucer

Ladies,

I just returned from my first mammogram post-surgery. :rolleyes: It went like all other mammograms over the years. While the tech and I were chatting, I happened to mention that I had lost 62 lbs. since my last mammogram; her comment was "That's good to know, I'll let the radiologist know because it does make a difference in how the tissue looks."

All that said (and if you didn't know that they need to know) ......when you go for your first post-surgery mammogram, be sure to let them know you've lost weight.

Happy Squishing!!! :D

Just made my mammogram appointment -- thanks for the good advice!!!

Good advice. And reminder. Calling to make my appt now. ????

I had my first post op one in January. I was down a good amount, and it was certainly a different experience than in the past. As in a lot more stretching and squishing. (When you have plenty there, it's pretty easy)

I have to say that I'm not looking forward to the next time, lol. What I had 6 months ago seems like a lot to what I have left of the girls now :blink::P

I do recall that on the form I fill out prior to the exam, weight change is a question. Up/down, how much. Makes sense that what they see as a result would have changed and they'd want to know in advance - thanks!

Mine is scheduled for Monday, I will be sure to let them know. Thanks for the info.

@@amazon - The form I completed today did not ask about any weight change so it's good to know that some breast imagining centers do ask. And for those centers who don't ask, we need to speak up.

I had mine in January at 6 months out, and by then I had lost 50 some-ish pounds, and they never asked! Good to know for my next one to give them that info. Especially since the year before I had a little scare that turned out to be nothing, but still :huh:

@@Babbs - I know what you mean about the scare that (fortunately for both of us) turned out to be nothing. I have two titanium chips hanging out in my left breast; had to have a stereotactic needle biopsy about 5-6 years ago. Fortunately, what they saw on the screening mammo turned out to be a cluster of some calcifications. We have to take care of The Girls as best we can :rolleyes:

Very good to know, I'll be having my first post-RNY in August. Thanks

The technician took one look at my sadly deflated boobs and asked "Have you lost a lot of weight?". So its not completely in my head that I've gone from a 42C to a 36 long...

The technician took one look at my sadly deflated boobs and asked "Have you lost a lot of weight?". So its not completely in my head that I've gone from a 42C to a 36 long...

...I lol'd... I'm there with you :-) I went from a 44C to a 34 double droop...

So far I've gone from a 44D to a 44C and have always been droopy. I don't ever remember my girls being perky; maybe when I was a teenager, but that was so long ago........

Got my mammogram today. The questionnaire did ask about weight change. I was talking to the tech about it and she said she had a patient that had bypass and lost a lot if weight and even though it was noted, the radiologist reading the images called her and asked if she was sure this was the same patient it maybe the films had gotten mixed up because the difference in tissue was so dramatic.