Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so nervous. From what I've read and seen on youtube. It's like 150 question test and they seem to deny you pretty easily . Mines tomorrow I'm nervous

The test I took was annoying more than anything. There was the same question asked a different way. Do you drink more than 2 drinks at a social setting? Do you think your thighs are too big? Do you wake up thinking about alcohol for Breakfast? Do you think about your legs being too big?

Try not to stress out about it too much. I'm sure you will do fine.

Almost everyone who has had weight loss surgery, at least in the U.S., had to go through a psychological evaluation. Obviously, very few have been outright denied. Yes, some folks are asked to come back or to make appointments with a therapist to address certain issues, but that doesn't happen to everyone. Relax, be open and honest, and use this as an opportunity to help you be even more prepared for surgery. The goal isn't to deny you, it is to make sure you are prepared for surgery and have the appropriate tools and support to succeed.

There was no written test with mine. Just a very casual one on one conversation with the psychologist. She instantly put me at ease and I felt comfortable from our first handshake.

The questions she had were very basic and non-probing, concerning my family and weight history, support system, and knowledge and expectations about the surgery. It took like 15 minutes and she let me know at the end that she would be recommending me for surgery.

It's normal to be concerned. I had a lot of apprehensions beforehand too, actually spent months worrying about it. All for nothing. I know you can't help but be worried too, but I'm sure you'll do fine!

That's all

It was very basic Convo. Insurance forces me to see her one more time .. So have another appt scheduled September 8. She doesn't think I'll be sleeved until November. She thinks I'm a good candidate because I'm "nervous" about the surgery and she likes that!

I took three pen and paper tests -- 600 items.

I passed, apparently because I am not suicidal.

;)

;)

Mine totaled 450 items. So evidently I don't think my thighs are too big.

Don't worry about it . It's not an in-depth look into your psyche. I'm in the field and the mental evaluation is just to gauge your responses. Even if you have depression or anxiety or you've struggled with substances, it doesn't automatically disqualify you from surgery. It will be ok. :)

I must have gotten it pretty easy. Mine was with an independent therapist who does bariatric psych evaluations for multiples surgeons in my area. Mine was entirely a conversation about how long I've struggled with being overweight, how I feel about myself, understanding the pros and cons of surgery, the potential to feel depressed afterwards, etc. There were only a few specific questions he had but the rest of it was him helping me understand the different emotions I could be going through before/during/after the surgery.

He also told me from the beginning that the point of his evaluation was not to deny me from anything but to help understand where i'm at in terms of my emotions and relationship to food so that if I had any big issues my doctor would know how to address them with me.

;)

Mine totaled 450 items. So evidently I don't think my thighs are too big.
So, if you think your thighs are too big (as I do) you could fail their test?

Same here. I spent a month and a half stressing over this psychologist appointment all to be 15 minutes in the office! It was a nice one on one with just general conversation. You will be ok. They want you to succeed! Just take a deep breath and go for it!

My therapist talked for over an hour mostly about himself and how he keeps his weight down. Think I answered 7-8 questions, plus the computerized test (which he never mentioned.) I guess it just depends on who your therapist is. He approved me.

My psych test of 150 questions just pointed out to me I was bossy, I didn't need him or a test to tell me that. Lol

My psych test of 150 questions just pointed out to me I was bossy, I didn't need him or a test to tell me that. Lol

Mine was the same-- except it showed that I'm angry lol I just said its all directed towards my ex husband so no worries!