Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Boy am I glad I found out about this site. What a tool and I'm loving the support everyone has for each other!

I'm writing about an issue I'm experiencing. I need advice, tips and anything else you may have to offer.

I'm a week Post Op today. I stayed in the hospital a day longer than normal because I was in-taking very few liquids. I couldn't stomach it. The only thing I seemed to stomach was the low calorie sherbet they gave me. I went home 3 days after. I still can't stomach much. I can barely get Water down comfortably, without what seems to be air pockets (almost like a hiccup) but it's painful. I haven't been sipping through a straw, I have been going slow, have been taking tiny small amounts, so I don't know if it's something I'm doing. I'm about driving my family nuts because I can't stomach anything and the only thing at home I can seem to handle is cut up sugar free popsicles. My family is worried about me being dehydrated, I've got some symptoms that point to that. As I'm trying to avoid going back to the hospital, but will if need be. It's getting better day by day, I just didn't know if anyone had experienced the same thing or had any advice on what it is and what I should do.

Thanks! :)

I can't offer advice as I am not post op yet but just wanted to wish you well and I hope you feel better soon.

~ gentle hugs ~

Kate

I'm wondering if you had a hernia repair at the same time as the sleeve? I did, and also had a very difficult time swallowing. My surgeon said that can happen . . . that inflammation is typically greater with the additional surgery.

Have you tried Crystal Light or G2, the lower sugar version of Gatorade? Something with electrolytes might be helpful.

{{Hugs}}

If you think you are dehydrated, then by all means go to the hospital!!! I got dehydrated after my sleeve and had to be readmitted, but I thought I was fine because I could sip apple juice. Well I wasn't fine, and it took them 20 IV sticks before they could get the needle in because my veins were so collapsed. And if you've seen iv needles, they are really long. They stuck me in my arms, neck, feet, shoulders and finally got it in a deep vein but they had to use an ultrasound machine. If you go to the hospital they can also give you medicine to take down swelling (torrdal), which will help you to get liquids down. Please don't let yourself get to where I was

Forgot to mention though, after my extra hospital stay I felt great, almost like I'd never had surgery in the first place. I hope you start to feel better!!

Have you tried liquids at different temperatures? I didn't experience it firsthand, but many of us can tolerate either warm or cold but not both at the beginning. I can also recommend Pedialite over ice...kept me out of the hospital on my one and only dumping syndrome adventure. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi All,

Me again! Thanks for all the support and advice. Over the past couple of days I've been feeling better. Still haven't been able to get much liquid down but better than it was. I'm currently switching back and fourth from G2 lower calorie and Water, the sugar free crystal light is way to sweet for me! I can't believe that. I'm currently being monitored for any more signs of dehydration, I've called the surgeon, and if it gets any worse than I should go. I was able to get a yogurt down today. I guess this is where I acknowledge that we all are different and our cases our different and it takes one day at a time to try and get through the pain.

Again, thanks for all the support! Good luck with all your new adventures!

Brittany

I'm 4 days post op and I am also having trouble drinking Water. I've had a little chicken broth and about 8 oz of water that takes me all day to drink. Every sip of water is so painful. It makes me chest feel heavy like I'm going to choke. I can't wait to get better.