Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc has recommended bypass, and I'm 90% sure that's what I'm going to do. Yet when I get on Bariatric Pals, it seems the majority of the people talk about the sleeve. My doc says bypass is gold standard, better stats and better long term weight loss and maintenance, but that the choice is up to me.

So I'm wondering why the sleevers chose the sleeve over bypass? Was there something in particular about bypass that made you decide that it wasn't right for you? Thanks in advance!

My doctor (primary) says she sees alot of regain weight over the years more so with sleeve. That's the reason I chose bypass. That plus dumping syndrome I want to use it as a tool for my horrible sweet tooth.

I chose sleeve, because I didn't want the potential issues with nutrient malabsorption and I couldn't get over the fact that my intestines would be re-routed. In my mind, the sleeve seemed less invasive, though it's terribly invasive too. Lap Band was totally out in my mind based on a friend's experience with it.

I'm already prone to dumping in general because of gall bladder complications, so I don't need the added plus of anything else (bypass) to cause that.

Your success will be what you make it and not necessarily some statistic or anecdote. As someone mentioned, all of the surgeries are tools. You should do whatever you think is right for your health. My recommendation would be to make a list of pros and cons for each surgery and take as much educated advice from professionals and patient experiences as you can.

Good luck!

I have a strong family and personal history of autoimmune disease. Because of that, my surgeon agreed that sleeve would be better because of potential issues with medication absorption after the bypass. If not for that, I probably would have gone with the bypass. I know people who have had it and done great, it does have better stats than the sleeve. I tend to be a pretty rational person who tries not to make decisions based on emotions, so the "it makes me feel ooky to think about re-routed intestines" was not a factor for me. Well, rational is probably not the right word, I don't want to call other people irrational -- but I try to put aside my initial emotional response to situations and make decisions (particularly medical/health decisions) based on science rather than emotion.

If you haven't, you might want to go to a support group and meet people who have had these surgeries and are at least a year out and see what they have to say. Sometimes it can help to talk to and see people in person to get a real sense of what their experience has been like. Good luck!

I chose the sleeve because able I needed to be able to take NSAIDS, I didn't want the malabsorption, and I didn't want dumping. I wasn't diabetic and didn't comorbidities. I knew that statistically I would lose more with the bypass, but at the time I was over 300 pounds and it ALL seemed too good to be true. I figured 60% EWL would be good enough.

So, fast forward 2 1/2 years, and I am happy with my decision. I lost about 90% of my excess weight, though it could be 100% if I changed my goal ;) . My labs are normal and I don't need an excess of Vitamins to keep them there. I have never dumped or thrown up, and now I eat small normal size portions. (I do take Vitamins, and I do follow the Bariatric Eating plan). I will admit there are times I wonder if I could have lost that last 5-10 pounds with the bypass, but it's a fleeting thought.

It really came down to my doctors recommendation. He prefers the sleeve to bypass except for cases where diabetes or GERD are involved. The statistics he has seen most recently show very little difference in long term potential for weight loss.

I chose the sleeve because I didn't want all the cutting and rearranging of my insides. I also didn't want malabsorption issues. With the sleeve, they removed a significant portion of my stomach and the portion that made me hungry. I haven't had any malabsorption issues, my GERD is gone and I don't have dumping issues. I'm losing slowly (about 3pounds per week). And I'm happy with that. Hopefully I won't have to have a Tummy Tuck because of all the loose skin.

Mostly because my digestive tract remains intact and works the way it's supposed to -- it just hold less volume now. I still lose weight without the risks and drawbacks (malnutrition, dumping, stomach issues) of a bypass.

For me it was what would be the least problematic for my body to deal with. Losing a part of my stomach or having my entire digestive system rerouted. In the end I didn't want to take the risk with the rerouting of my intestines and digestive track. Plus this surgery had the quickest recovery time and less food restrictions that I saw. Over all I am happy so far with the choice I made as far as going the sleeve vs. bypass route.

It was an issue of safety because of my weight, my surgeon is well known and highly respected in this area, he said he opposes the band, but still has patients insisting on it, and likes the bypass but because of my weight recommended the sleeve, so far I have no complaints, and I am doing extremely well, I think my sleeve is slower than bypass but I'm not finding it hard at all, and my health and quality of life has improved tremendously, I had my sleeve on June 10th, and I would do it again in a second...........

I chose the sleeve for the same reason other people have mentioned - I didn't want my intestines messed with. I also have Celiac disease so I didn't want to have the malabsorption issue - I already have that problem.

Plus and this is really silly but I didn't want to have to do the whole colon clean out like you have to when you get a colonoscopy. My surgeon requires that for the bypass but not the sleeve.

I have a long history of musculoskeletal injuries and surgeries, and get cortisone shots occasionally into joints, as well as the need to manage the chronic issues that come with that. The only co-morbidity I have is slightly elevated blood pressure.

Apparently with some of the meds I take for the joint damage can cause intestinal ulceration after the bypass, which can be very bad at best, and fatal at worst

Sleeve was an easy choice after hearing that

If your Dr recommends bypass I would go for that. I know that some get a recommendation for one surgery over the other for health and safety reasons. I know for me the sleeve wasn't originally on the table until they saw that I had a hiatal hernia. Knowing that they could fix that I was cleared for sleeve. I chose sleeve due to Vitamin deficiency issues. I also wanted the freedom to live my life without fear of having to cut out sugar entirely. I also wanted to be able to take Excedrin down the road.

I chose the VSG for the same reasons as everyone else: no rearranging of intestines, no dumping, etc. My surgeon warned me that having more than 100# to lose & having a history of problems with sweets, I may never lose all the weight with VSG but he'd do whatever I was most comfortable with. I wish I'd done RNY. My sleeve has been nothing but a PITA since day one, & I'm still 100+ lbs overweight, 2 years out. And not because I don't follow the plan (that's always the 1st thing ppl accuse you of when you stop losing at 5-6 months post op).