Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychologist appointment?

I went to the psychologist and he didn't clear me to have the surgery yet he wants me to go back in a week to see a therapist and to go back to him in three weeks after I have my sleeping test done... I'm so mad I thought I was only going to need one app but he said I'm a little depressed and he wants to see me again!! Has anyone gone to the psychology more than once?

I am. But it is my choice. I figured I had some other issues going on that I felt I would benefit from continued counseling so I've been 3 times and will likely continue to go through my surgery date. But, she already cleared me as a good candidate, so I am not in the same boat as you. I would ask him point blank why he feels the depression concerns him? If it is related to the surgery or to your weight in general - then maybe that is his concern? I don't know how a psychologist determines whether or not you are a good candidate.

A friend of mine started her WLS journey about 10 months ago, and is still not ready for surgery. But - she had some issues relating to fear of surgery and also with respects to growing up and hating her body because of how her parents treated her. She told me that she too wasn't cleared, but she totally understands that she needs this counseling in order to have a productive surgery.

I am. But it is my choice. I figured I had some other issues going on that I felt I would benefit from continued counseling so I've been 3 times and will likely continue to go through my surgery date. But, she already cleared me as a good candidate, so I am not in the same boat as you. I would ask him point blank why he feels the depression concerns him? If it is related to the surgery or to your weight in general - then maybe that is his concern? I don't know how a psychologist determines whether or not you are a good candidate.

A friend of mine started her WLS journey about 10 months ago, and is still not ready for surgery. But - she had some issues relating to fear of surgery and also with respects to growing up and hating her body because of how her parents treated her. She told me that she too wasn't cleared, but she totally understands that she needs this counseling in order to have a productive surgery.

honestly I don't feel I need to go back I know I want to have the surgery I told him I'm depressed but it's because of my weight because I've never been this heavy and that I wanted to have surgery because I want to be healthy I have a 1yr old that needs me and it's hard for me to play with him without feeling tired or do things like go to the pool and the beach because I feel like I'm too fat to wear a bathingsuit

Having a baby one year ago can also affect your hormones and be the cause. Go forward with the process as you want to be your best you.

Having a baby one year ago can also affect your hormones and be the cause. Go forward with the process as you want to be your best you.

yes I want to keep going I hope he clears me after I see him again

I was worried my psychologist wasn't going to approve me either. I know I am depressed with my weight. I was so nervous how I was going to not sound crazy in this appointment so I didn't impede my own progress! I had to see him twice and at the second appt he told me I was welcome to continue to see him so I made another appt but I had to cancel it (a month ago) and haven't rescheduled since. But my last visit to my surgeon she said nothing about it except that I had finished that requirement. I'm still nervous that she sees that I went and that she doesn't actually read the results but sends them off for approval with insurance and I may still be denied. It's crazy to think if you are depressed from being unhealthy and overweight that they would not allow you to do the one thing that will help you the most. I wish you the best, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for myself as well. :-/

But my last visit to my surgeon she said nothing about it except that I had finished that requirement. I'm still nervous that she sees that I went and that she doesn't actually read the results but sends them off for approval with insurance and I may still be denied.

As far as I know - as the patient - you have a right to read any report they write. So Lisa - you should ask your surgeon for a copy. Same thing scarlep - when your psychologist writes it - ask for a copy. I did, and I got one directly from my psychologist.

I was worried my psychologist wasn't going to approve me either. I know I am depressed with my weight. I was so nervous how I was going to not sound crazy in this appointment so I didn't impede my own progress! I had to see him twice and at the second appt he told me I was welcome to continue to see him so I made another appt but I had to cancel it (a month ago) and haven't rescheduled since. But my last visit to my surgeon she said nothing about it except that I had finished that requirement. I'm still nervous that she sees that I went and that she doesn't actually read the results but sends them off for approval with insurance and I may still be denied. It's crazy to think if you are depressed from being unhealthy and overweight that they would not allow you to do the one thing that will help you the most. I wish you the best, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for myself as well. :-/

I hope that we get clear because I can't wait to have surgery and be healthy

But my last visit to my surgeon she said nothing about it except that I had finished that requirement. I'm still nervous that she sees that I went and that she doesn't actually read the results but sends them off for approval with insurance and I may still be denied.

As far as I know - as the patient - you have a right to read any report they write. So Lisa - you should ask your surgeon for a copy. Same thing scarlep - when your psychologist writes it - ask for a copy. I did, and I got one directly from my psychologist.
I didn't know that I asked him if he was going to send the report to my surgeon he said not yet because he wanted me to see the therapist I think he wants me to try to lose weight on my own I'm 282 pounds I gained 100 pounds during my pregnancy and I'm trying to make a change I can't lose weight I try hundred of diets and I gained the weight back

Scarlep, just try to stay positive. It won't help you to worry about things you can't control. I would just focus on what you can control. Things will work out the way they need to. I have no doubt you will get there, just don't give up!

Hugs!

Lisa

I didn't get cleared right away by the psychologist at my surgeon's office, either. I have depression, but for me, the concerns were more due to my deep-seated need to be perfect (an "all-or-nothing" mentality) and my nagging sense that maybe I just don't "deserve" to be healthy and happy. So while I was initially upset that I "failed" my eval (hey, more "all-or-nothing" thinking!), I realized that, yes, I do need to be in therapy. I started going to a great therapist who is really helping me get to the root causes of my negative view of myself and will be able to help me throughout my post-surgery process.

A lot of it has to do with making sure that you have a good support system and can manage the ups and downs of the process--yes, your depression may be directly related to your weight, but are you prepared if you have complications, or you don't lose as quickly as you want to, or have stalls? Not saying you aren't prepared, just that this is the sort of thing that the psychologists consider.

Is the psychologist within your surgeon's practice or one that they work with routinely? If not and is just a random psychologist you found that takes your insurance, you might want to ask your surgeon's office for a referral to a psychologist that they recommend or that other patients of theirs have used. I say that because you mentioned that you got the sense that the one you saw thought you should try losing weight on your own. If he's not someone who routinely works with bariatric patients, he may have a bias against WLS and not be the best person to evaluate a surgical candidate.

Scarlep, just try to stay positive. It won't help you to worry about things you can't control. I would just focus on what you can control. Things will work out the way they need to. I have no doubt you will get there, just don't give up!

Hugs!

Lisa

Thank you so much Lisa!! I hope so I'm hoping he clears me when I go see him again

I didn't get cleared right away by the psychologist at my surgeon's office, either. I have depression, but for me, the concerns were more due to my deep-seated need to be perfect (an "all-or-nothing" mentality) and my nagging sense that maybe I just don't "deserve" to be healthy and happy. So while I was initially upset that I "failed" my eval (hey, more "all-or-nothing" thinking!), I realized that, yes, I do need to be in therapy. I started going to a great therapist who is really helping me get to the root causes of my negative view of myself and will be able to help me throughout my post-surgery process.

A lot of it has to do with making sure that you have a good support system and can manage the ups and downs of the process--yes, your depression may be directly related to your weight, but are you prepared if you have complications, or you don't lose as quickly as you want to, or have stalls? Not saying you aren't prepared, just that this is the sort of thing that the psychologists consider.

Is the psychologist within your surgeon's practice or one that they work with routinely? If not and is just a random psychologist you found that takes your insurance, you might want to ask your surgeon's office for a referral to a psychologist that they recommend or that other patients of theirs have used. I say that because you mentioned that you got the sense that the one you saw thought you should try losing weight on your own. If he's not someone who routinely works with bariatric patients, he may have a bias against WLS and not be the best person to evaluate a surgical candidate.

I told him about my weight history and that I started to get depressed right after I got pregnant because of all the weight I was gaining and after I gave birth I started to gain more weight and couldn't lose the weight and that I asked my gynecologist to see if she would give me a referral to see a psychologist but I never went to see one because she gave me anti depressants (I never took them) maybe that's why he asked to see me again :/ but I told him about this app how it helped me understand the things that can happen post op like stalls, weight gain, my nut told me if you overeat all the time it can stretch ,I'm aware of all the risk and honestly I just want to be healthy I'm a low risk of becoming diabetic and I don't want that to happen. I hope everything changes after I see him again

I've been going to therapy for years. It really helps being able to talk to someone you trust who's impartial. As for the surgery, I went to a psychologist who just goes these evaluations, who was recommended through NYU, and she cleared me right away.

I told him about my weight history and that I started to get depressed right after I got pregnant because of all the weight I was gaining and after I gave birth I started to gain more weight and couldn't lose the weight and that I asked my gynecologist to see if she would give me a referral to see a psychologist but I never went to see one because she gave me anti depressants (I never took them) maybe that's why he asked to see me again :/

OK... I am not saying this is AT ALL the case with you... but from his perspective, he may have concerns about you following through with all the requirements. Only because you said that you asked for a referral to a psych. and never went, and that you were prescribed medication that you then did not take. With WLS, you absolutely have to go to all your appointments and take all the medications/supplements prescribed to you, and follow the phase diet before and afterwards. Again, I'm not saying that you won't be compliant; I'm just trying to consider what you told the psychologist from his perspective. In your next visit with him, I would be sure to mention that you understand the importance of post-op care, are committed to following the surgeon's instructions, and will promptly go to your surgeon, nutritionist, therapist, PCP, or whatever with any issues that may arise after surgery. Good luck!