Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NHS or Self Funded

I've just joined and don't, as yet, have a date for my sleeve but have realised with the NHS it may be some time away. I was just wondering if many people here have, or intend to, pay for their sleeve op. Look forward to replies!

Hi,

I was NHS - but you are right - I had to wait 6 years, from when I first went to my own GP to the actual op..patience is a virtue as they say...Hope you don't have to wait as long - I'm in Grampian Scotland region

Hello. I am planned to self fund and have a date of 22/8/15 for surgery. I live in Surrey. First time I have put anything on this site as I find it a little confusing as would prefer discussions just with UK members.

regards,

Hello. I am planned to self fund and have a date of 22/8/15 for surgery. I live in Surrey. First time I have put anything on this site as I find it a little confusing as would prefer discussions just with UK members.

regards,

Definitely a confusing forum! I've read a lot of posts but a lot of them aren't really relevant as they refer to US insurance plans etc. I think I'll probably end up self funding. Can I ask how long it will be between your first appointment and the date you have for your op?

I went the NHS route and was told it would be 2 - 3 year weight. So I opted to go private and have my surgery on 23/07.

@@Roully

There is a UK group here. It would be really good if a few of us could start using it to keep in touch and sort out the whats, wheres and why's in the UK. However the forums are great no matter which ones you use. Please add me as a friend if you want to keep tabs !!

Kate

Hi,

I was NHS - but you are right - I had to wait 6 years, from when I first went to my own GP to the actual op..patience is a virtue as they say...Hope you don't have to wait as long - I'm in Grampian Scotland region[/quote

I definitely can't wait that long. I've got an appointment to discuss self funding, as now I've made the decision I don't want to hang around.

I'm in my early 60s and feel if I don't do it now it will be too late. When did you have your sleeve fitted? Is it going ok?

I went the NHS route and was told it would be 2 - 3 year weight. So I opted to go private and have my surgery on 23/07.

@@Roully

There is a UK group here. It would be really good if a few of us could start using it to keep in touch and sort out the whats, wheres and why's in the UK. However the forums are great no matter which ones you use. Please add me as a friend if you want to keep tabs !!

Kate

I don't consider myself to be a complete idiot when it comes to the internet etc but this forum is really difficult to use. Kate I'll add you as a friend and maybe we can meet 'on the other side'!

I had my sleeve done in Oct 2012 - its going fine, but still not at my goal - I'm happy where I am, don't get me wrong - but need to lose another 20lbs or so in order to be able to get skin surgery - the NHS is so full of rules...

Wow able2cope you are doing great! I'm happy if I lose a couple of pounds, but then I put it on again!

I've lost over 100lbs now - thank you :) I know what you mean about always putting it back on again - that was the story of my life... I do seem to have come to something of a standstill now though.

Hi and welcome. I am self funding and I live in Wales. I looked at gastric band about 5 years ago but partner put me off, so now we are both singing from the same hymn sheet as it were, I'm having the sleeve on 16th July. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Chris

i had mine on the nhs, from my first appointment to the day of my operation was 7 months, im 3 and half months out now and down 6 stone, bought myself size 18 jeans today, havent been in that size for yrs best decision ive ever made

I was eligible for surgery on the NHS but because of the ridiculous 3 tier scheme (which is just a waste of time and money) I was told it could take anything from 18 months to 2 years to get the op done. I felt I couldn't wait that long as I'd spent 30 years yoyo dieting and was at the end of my tether so I did my research and decided to fund it myself and have a gastric sleeve in the Czech Republic.

I had my op on the 7th of April with no complications (had my gall bladder removed at the same time) and I've lost 3st 8lb so far. I'd like to lose around another 5. I can't fault the treatment I received in the Czech Republic - I chose that location because of the high standard of care and the cost, which is far lower than in the UK.

Well off home today after having it done here in uk . No pain ! Looking forward to seeing the scales showing a loss